Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Wedge prediction for next Monday...

Wedge prediction 50'.png

I've never seen that size prediction anywhere other than Mavericks or Waimea. Unfortunately, the 50 mph wind will make it unsurfable.

Wedge prediction for next Monday...

View attachment 90122

I've never seen that size prediction anywhere other than Mavericks or Waimea. Unfortunately, the 50 mph wind will make it unsurfable.

I'm i reading that right, 35 ft waves in The OC? Sh!t howdy, I'm going to go to the beach and checking it out! Hey @herzalot would you like to give me lessons in those? Could be exciting! :cautious: I'll go to Costco and pick up a board. :D

I'm i reading that right, 35 ft waves in The OC? Sh!t howdy, I'm going to go to the beach and checking it out! Hey @herzalot would you like to give me lessons in those? Could be exciting! :cautious: I'll go to Costco and pick up a board. :D
That is at a location called The Wedge in Newport Beach (at the end of the peninsula). When a south swell hits there, the jetty creates a back wave that doubles the incoming wave. It's unique, mostly unsurfable at 20 feet (but lots of body boarders and body surfers hurl themselves into oblivion there). It breaks right on the sand.

Surfline is now predicting the swell will not make it into the OC swell window, so it's all been downgraded to single digit wave heights. They still say it's possible for Tropical Storm Hilary's waves to move into our swell window.

Surfline is now predicting the swell will not make it into the OC swell window, so it's all been downgraded to single digit wave heights. They still say it's possible for Tropical Storm Hilary's waves to move into our swell window.

Bummer. I was thinking about going out there to watch. I've never seen 35 ft waves before.

That is at a location called The Wedge in Newport Beach (at the end of the peninsula). When a south swell hits there, the jetty creates a back wave that doubles the incoming wave. It's unique, mostly unsurfable at 20 feet (but lots of body boarders and body surfers hurl themselves into oblivion there). It breaks right on the sand.

Member when the side-wave down at 10th st. (Thousand Steps) would consistently work? That was really fun to ride on a boogie and boost when the sider met the incoming peak!

Last edited:
Member when the side-wave down at 10th st. would consistently work? That was really fun to ride on a boogie and boost when the sider met the incoming peak!

We were regulars at 15th and sometimes 32nd St back in the 78-81 timeframe because that's where OCTD bus stops were and there were market and food options at those spots. We went to The Wedge one time with our boogie boards but it was a mellow day. We didn't know any better and might have ended up at Hoag on a big day.

We were regulars at 15th and sometimes 32nd St back in the 78-81 timeframe because that's where OCTD bus stops were and there were market and food options at those spots. We went to The Wedge one time with our boogie boards but it was a mellow day. We didn't know any better and might have ended up at Hoag on a big day.
I should have been more specific, 10th st. in Laguna, aka Thousand Steps.

Wow, what huge waves. And they break right on the sand. I guess that's where a lot of injuries happen. It's a dangerous place. I'd rather ride a bike :)

I dragged my wife and child down to Trestles to watch the WSL finals today. Solid surf.
SPOILER ALERT - Stop reading if you want to watch replays without knowing results. Given that this is a mt bike forum, I'm guessing that is exactly none of you!

Every wave ridden by Caroline Marks was a gem. She was on form from in each of the two heats we saw her surf live, and the two we watched when we got home. Caroline is a 21 yo Cocoa Beach Florida girl who moved to San Clemente a couple of years ago. Mind you, to even get to the finals, these competitors had to be standouts in places like Pipeline, Sunset, Teahupoo, Portugal and Indonesia - heavy, hollow waves of consequence. Caroline won Teahupoo.

Ethan Ewing is an Aussie who allegedly broke his back a month ago. Couldn't tell. He was spectacular live and in person. San Clemente's Griffin Colapinto was the clear favorite of nearly everyone on the beach, but Ewing got the better of him today. World #1 Felipe Toledo has the same arsenal as Ewing PLUS a solid air game. Toledo moved his family to San Clemente 10 years ago, so he knows Lowers fairly well. Ewing was great, Toledo was next level.

We watched live on the beach through Griffin's heat, then watched the rest at home. Very "meta" sitting there with sand on my feet from the event while watching the event live on TV in my living room.

Here's a pic of an unridden 6-8' wave. I saw a LOT of those today. It made me want to be out there so bad!

Empty Lowers.jpg

Last edited:
I dragged my wife and child down to Trestles to watch the WSL finals today. Solid surf.
SPOILER ALERT - Stop reading if you want to watch replays without knowing results. Given that this is a mt bike forum, I'm guessing that is exactly none of you!

Every wave ridden by Caroline Marks was a gem. She was on form from in each of the two heats we saw her surf live, and the two we watched when we got home. Caroline is a 21 yo Cocoa Beach Florida girl who moved to San Clemente a couple of years ago. Mind you, to even get to the finals, these competitors had to be standouts in places like Pipeline, Sunset, Teahupoo, Portugal and Indonesia - heavy, hollow waves of consequence. Caroline won Teahupoo.

Ethan Ewing is an Aussie who allegedly broke his back a month ago. Couldn't tell. He was spectacular live and in person. San Clemente's Griffin Colapinto was the clear favorite of nearly everyone on the beach, but Ewing got the better of him today. World $1 Felipe Toledo has the same arsenal as Ewing PLUS a solid air game. Toledo moved his family to San Clemente 10 years ago, so he knows Lowers fairly well. Ewing was great, Toledo was next level.

We watched live on the beach through Griffin's heat, then watched the rest at home. Very meta sitting there with sand on my feet from the event while watching the event live on TV in my living room.

Here's a pic of an unridden 6-8' wave. I saw a LOT of those today. It made me want to be out there so bad!

View attachment 90571

Nice write up! Being there was prob awesome, looked like a big crowd on the beach. Nice swell too. I really wanted Griffin to advance. My son and I were watching at home

Nice write up! Being there was prob awesome, looked like a big crowd on the beach. Nice swell too. I really wanted Griffin to advance. My son and I were watching at home
Griffin's interview after was one of the best interviews of a non-winner I've ever heard. i've seen interviews with Griffin where he is cocky and almost rude. Not this one. It was NEVER about him. He gave props to everyone and was just grateful for the circumstances.

Because you care...

I haven't surfed since August 13 due to my messed up hip. It seems that straddling the board while waiting for waves is horrible for my hip and left knee.

I've been doing PT and discovered that mt biking makes my hip and knee feel great. I had a good week with my hip after riding last Saturday and PT on Tuesday. Thursday and Friday this week I almost felt normal. Soooooo....

I tried to surf this morning. I could get to my feet OK, but sitting on the board put my hip right back where it was 6 weeks ago. DAMMMMITTT! I did try lying on the board more than sitting, but I didn't do that enough. The hip didn't feel bad while I was out there, but it sure as hell hurts now. :bang: :(

2-3' calm, not crowded. Sunny. 68-70° water. Surfed with a former surf buddy and his 15 yr old son. Stayed out an hour and caught 4 more waves than I expected to catch. :cool: :thumbsup:

The universe is telling me to quit surfing and keep mt. biking. But then again, the universe bitch slaps me to the ground when I ride. Stupid Universe! :mad:

Because you care...

I haven't surfed since August 13 due to my messed up hip. It seems that straddling the board while waiting for waves is horrible for my hip and left knee.

I've been doing PT and discovered that mt biking makes my hip and knee feel great. I had a good week with my hip after riding last Saturday and PT on Tuesday. Thursday and Friday this week I almost felt normal. Soooooo....

I tried to surf this morning. I could get to my feet OK, but sitting on the board put my hip right back where it was 6 weeks ago. DAMMMMITTT! I did try lying on the board more than sitting, but I didn't do that enough. The hip didn't feel bad while I was out there, but it sure as hell hurts now. :bang: :(

2-3' calm, not crowded. Sunny. 68-70° water. Surfed with a former surf buddy and his 15 yr old son. Stayed out an hour and caught 4 more waves than I expected to catch. :cool: :thumbsup:

The universe is telling me to quit surfing and keep mt. biking. But then again, the universe bitch slaps me to the ground when I ride. Stupid Universe! :mad:
How does sitting in a car make you feel?

Because you care...

Water just ain't my thing cuz I can't swim to save my life. I do like fishing though, and fish fear me....:D That said I really get where you're coming from though. 30 or so years ago I was invincible and could bounce off the ground with style and laugh it off. :rolleyes: Today though I have the gift of a gout flare:devilish:. It's been so long since I've had one that I sorta convinced myself I didn't have it anymore. I even stopped taking my meds about a year ago cuz I'm smarter than the damn doctor.:bang: Seriously considering amputating my foot with an axe right now.:cry: What the hell is a bike???:facepalm:

Because you care...

So, you caught 4 waves? Ha

Because you care...

Stem cells. I don't know why I have to keep telling you broken men to look into stem cells.

Ok @herzalot, what does all this mean?
View attachment 91620
It means the guy is selling off a bunch of really long Brewer boards.
Winter Gun means very long and narrow board with pulled in nose and tail for really big waves (Mavericks). No longer common at Pipeline, but still see them at Mavericks.
Thruster means three even-sized fins. Common on shortboards. Not great on longboards.
Single Fin Pintail means it has one large fin, and a drawn-in, narrow tail. Fun if the waves are over chest high and have a little push to them.
Quad means four fins - two larger front fins and two smaller fins behind and inboard of the front fins. I like quads, but my biggest quad is 6'8" I can't imagine one at 9'6"

My 6'8" Quad Fish at Middles
Quad Fish at Middles.jpg

@Runs with Scissors I don't see any commas, and only one apostrophe error PLUS he got the foot and inch marks right. I call that a win!

Last edited:
Back