Is something Burning in OC

That brings up another important question. What would be most flammable, a CF frame, an alloy frame, a Ti frame, or a steel frame? Wood and bamboo frames excluded for obvious reasons.

I have seen what's left of a carbon bike that was in a garage fire. The resin burns out rather quickly and you get left with piles of carbon fiber strands. Those won't melt until the temperature reaches about 1100°C

Aluminum - 660 C
Steel - 1370 C
Titanium - 1668 C
Carbon - 3550 C*

*At normal atmospheric pressure carbon doesn't melt, it sublimes - ie it undergoes a direct phase change from solid to gas (like CO2). You need to increase pressure to at least 10 atmospheres to see a liquid phase. So it is POSSIBLE to build a solid carbon bike frame. Unfortunately such a frame would be solid graphite, which is both soft and brittle and doesn't have any of the positive characteristics of a carbon fiber frame. However if you can increase the pressure to about 100,000 atmospheres, you could theoretically make a frame out of solid diamond. Same element - different form. However I think it would be heavy as crap.

FWIW when I bike on Mercury I have to deal with noon temps no more than 430 C. Though this is hot enough to melt lead, who would think of making a bike frame out of lead? LOL! Noobs!

Last edited:
Aluminum - 660 C
Steel - 1370 C
Titanium - 1668 C
Carbon - 3550 C*

*At normal atmospheric pressure carbon doesn't melt, it sublimes - ie it undergoes a direct phase change from solid to gas (like CO2). You need to increase pressure to at least 10 atmospheres to see a liquid phase. So it is POSSIBLE to build a solid carbon bike frame. Unfortunately such a frame would be solid graphite, which is both soft and brittle and doesn't have any of the positive characteristics of a carbon fiber frame. However if you can increase the pressure to about 100,000 atmospheres, you could theoretically make a frame out of solid diamond. Same element - different form. However I think it would be heavy as crap.

FWIW when I bike on Mercury I have to deal with noon temps no more than 430 C. Though this is hot enough to melt lead, who would think of making a bike frame out of lead? LOL! Noobs!
Fahrenheit please. :p

I'm Old School...

Joanne Hubble wrote:

Here is the latest update from the US Forest Service:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Acres: 19,107
Containment: 10%
Fire Started: August 6, 2018
Cause: Human Caused

Resources:
Engines: 141 Helicopters: 18 Fixed Wing: 12 Dozers: 23 Water Tenders: 12 Crews: 34 Total Personnel: 1511

Holy Fire Evening Update
August 10, 2018, 1800

Trabuco Canyon, CA (August 10, 2018) – The fire remained active today and is currently estimated at 19,107 acres and containment increased to 10%. The combination of air resources, dozers and fire crews made great progress along the fire edge to control the fire spread and provide structure protection. Containment lines have been strengthened on the northwest side of the fire in Coldwater Canyon, north of the North Main Divide Road. Air resources continue to drop fire retardant around structures to create a fire break while firefighters work to strengthen lines east and southeast of the fire. A dozer line has been constructed around El Cariso Village to keep fire from entering the community.

Steep terrain, dry fuels, and inaccessible areas continue to be a factor in fire spread. Expected high temperatures, low humidity and easterly monsoonal moisture aloft will continue through tomorrow and gradually decrease through the weekend. This weather pattern could result in critical fire behavior and large column development. Air quality in the surrounding areas may be impacted.

Suppression efforts remain focused on community defense, and limiting the spread south towards Hwy 74. Firefighting efforts will continue overnight with 2 night flying helicopters and multiple ground crews. Currently, a total of 5 firefighting personnel have been confirmed injured.

A damage assessment team began assessments this afternoon. The number of structures burned remains at 12. More than 20,000 people have been placed under mandatory evacuations with others under evacuation warning. Residents are asked to evacuate as early as possible so as not to hinder firefighting operations.

EVACUATIONS:

Mandatory:
· Holy Jim, Trabuco Canyon Recreation Residence Tracts, Blue Jay and Falcon Campgrounds, McVicker Canyon, Rice Canyon, El Cariso Village, Rancho Capistrano, Horsethief Canyon, Glen Eden Canyon, and Sycamore Creek. Road closures will continue until evacuation orders are lifted.

· Lake Elsinore: all homes on the mountain-side of Lake St and southwest of Grand Ave to the Ortega Highway.

Voluntary:
· Shoreline Community

There are two evacuation centers open for residents in both Orange and Riverside Counties:

· Riverside: Temescal Canyon High School, 28755 El Toro Rd Lake Elsinore CA 92532 for residents.
· Orange County: San Juan Hills High School located at 29211 Stallion Ridge, San Juan Capistrano.

The Holy Fire Joint Information Center is available to take calls from the public: (714) 628-7085.

Media should use the Holy Fire Joint Information Center Line: (657) 345-4277.

###

Public Fire Information Line: (714) 573-6210 or (714) 628-7085
S.gif

F=9/5C+32. Couldn't be simpler. :thumbsup:
My Canadian friend says just double the Celsius and add 32, and you will be close.

Let's try it.
Canadian: "It's hot, eh? I think it's over 30° I need a Kokanee."
American: "Dude - Hold my gun a second. Let's see...30 + 30 = 60 + 32 = 92° F - Yup that's hot."

Real conversion: 30° C = 86° F Hmmm, that's a substantial difference. 86 is almost tolerable.

Let's try again: 25+25 = 50 + 32 = 82? Nope - 77° F. So double it and add 30 and you will be closer with normal outdoor temps.

And now, back to fiery devastation. :( :bang:

My Canadian friend says just double the Celsius and add 32, and you will be close.

Let's try it.
Canadian: "It's hot, eh? I think it's over 30° I need a Kokanee."
American: "Dude - Hold my gun a second. Let's see...30 + 30 = 60 + 32 = 92° F - Yup that's hot."

Real conversion: 30° C = 86° F Hmmm, that's a substantial difference. 86 is almost tolerable.

Let's try again: 25+25 = 50 + 32 = 82? Nope - 77° F. So double it and add 30 and you will be closer with normal outdoor temps.

And now, back to fiery devastation. :( :bang:

You forgot about the humidity intensifier. It's worth roughly 5 degrees on top of the doubling + 32. :cool:

I love it! This is math I can get behind!

A number of Canadians invade Orange County. They are armed with Benelli M2 Tactical Shotguns. Each shotgun is loaded with 5 shells.

For every Canadian, waiting at the county line is an American Patriot. Each patriot is armed with a Thompson 9mm Luger fully loaded with 9 rounds. The Patriots also have a trained Border Collie named "Reagan" who is carrying an UZI with a 32 round banana clip (there is only one dog, regardless of the number of Canadians).

Let the mayhem begin!

When all rounds are fired, the Canadians fired Celsius and the Patriots (plus Reagan) fired Fahrenheit. If there are no invading Canadians, Reagan still fires because hey! He's just a dumb dog!

I love it! This is math I can get behind!

A number of Canadians invade Orange County. They are armed with Benelli M2 Tactical Shotguns. Each shotgun is loaded with 5 shells.

For every Canadian, waiting at the county line is an American Patriot. Each patriot is armed with a Thompson 9mm Luger fully loaded with 9 rounds. The Patriots also have a trained Border Collie named "Reagan" who is carrying an UZI with a 32 round banana clip (there is only one dog, regardless of the number of Canadians).

Let the mayhem begin!

When all rounds are fired, the Canadians fired Celsius and the Patriots (plus Reagan) fired Fahrenheit. If there are no invading Canadians, Reagan still fires because hey! He's just a dumb dog!
:unsure:

It is supposed to be a joke :) I am not trying to suggest Canadians are going to invade the US, or that Border Collies can fire UZIs... however because some people are confused I thought I should probably state that for the record :)
Of course.

On a different but related subject, I discovered last night that my work phone does not have International calling (I tried to call a Canadian number).

LAKE ELSINORE, Calif. (KABC) --
Fire officials on Saturday morning announced that containment of the massive Holy Fire has nearly tripled from 10 percent to 29 percent, offering a glimmer of hope to residents of Riverside and Orange counties even as thousands of homes remain threatened.

The wildfire's acreage inched upward to 21,473 overnight as more than 1,500 firefighters were on the front lines of the inferno in the Cleveland National Forest.

As the fire entered its sixth day, helicopters and airplanes continued to drop fire retardant on flames burning in otherwise inaccessible terrain.
EK4MWH7l_normal.jpg
Cleveland NF@ClevelandNF

https://twitter.com/ClevelandNF/status/1028280217100402688

#Holyfire New Fire numbers this morning: 21,473 acres with 29% containment!

7:01 AM - Aug 11, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

More than 21,400 people were originally under evacuation orders, though many in Lake Elsinore and other areas have remained behind in an effort to defend their homes.

The U.S. Forest Service has since lifted evacuations for the areas of Horsethief Canyon in Corona, and McVicker and Rice canyons in Lake Elsinore,

DEVELOPING: More details will be added to this report as they become available.
Report a Typo

Back