Is something Burning in OC

20180809_204600.jpg
Just drove by there and from the 241 looked to me like it could very likely be around the sinks area near Irvine lake.
God I hope not....

I doubt it. The Sinks is on the opposite side of Santiago Canyon from Irvine Lake, and I don't think the wind is blowing in that direction. It would not take much of a shift in wind to threaten everything on this side though ... I will start to worry when I see flames coming down the mountain.

This is the view of Santiago Peak from my back yard. The peak is just right of the flames.

J. Hubble:

We are getting tons of calls. The fire you are all seeing is still the Holyfire. All the agencies are well aware of the situation and are looking from the air right now to determine what exactly is happening.

It appeared that there was a small flare up behind Modjeska near the peak.There are also reports of other flames near the back of Silverado. They are stil trying to determine exactly what is going on.

OCFA has determined that what everyone is seeing is a different perspective of the holy fire. It appears closer than it actually is.

There is NO fire in Silverado which has also been confirmed visually by several Silverado residents. Folks in our area are good for now.

Please call 714.628.7085 (the EOC Hotline) for the most up to date information.

J. Hubble:

We are getting tons of calls. The fire you are all seeing is still the Holyfire. All the agencies are well aware of the situation and are looking from the air right now to determine what exactly is happening.

It appeared that there was a small flare up behind Modjeska near the peak.There are also reports of other flames near the back of Silverado. They are stil trying to determine exactly what is going on.

OCFA has determined that what everyone is seeing is a different perspective of the holy fire. It appears closer than it actually is.

There is NO fire in Silverado which has also been confirmed visually by several Silverado residents. Folks in our area are good for now.

Please call 714.628.7085 (the EOC Hotline) for the most up to date information.
Yep, driving home from Newport Beach on the northbound 133 you could see that the fire was active on the north side of the mountains, but moving sideways (northwest?) generally toward 4 corners/coldwater/glen ivy.

From my Lake Forest neighborhood I can also see that wall of flame that goes from lower left to upper right as you look at it. From here that means the fire is at least a bit on this side of the ridge.
That means likely N side Modjeska towards 4 Corners.
I fear they may not stop this until essentially everything north of Blue Jay/Long Canyon has burned.
I really wish it could have been stopped with just the loss of upper Trabuco.

On Tuesday night, a 51-year-old man who lives in a cabin in Holy Jim Canyon was arrested in connection with the fire, according to the Orange County Register. Forrest Gordon Clark was taken into custody of O.C. Sheriff’s deputies after he allegedly sent an email last week which read, “this place will burn,” the Register reports.

Interesting but understandable that roughly the same words were used last year by Chris Haire, who wrote the OC Register article, "Is Time Running Out for Holy Jim Canyon? Nature, feds are threatening." October 6, 2017.

"For example, even though fire season is gearing up, federal land rules prevent Milligan and other volunteer firefighters from using creek water to save their structures. Residents note that Holy Jim is essentially a natural hearth, filled with cabins made of wood hewed during the Great Depression. If history holds, Holy Jim will burn, if not now then soon."

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/06/holy-jim-a-community-out-of-time-under-threat/

Interesting but understandable that roughly the same words were used last year by Chris Haire, who wrote the OC Register article, "Is Time Running Out for Holy Jim Canyon? Nature, feds are threatening." October 6, 2017.

"For example, even though fire season is gearing up, federal land rules prevent Milligan and other volunteer firefighters from using creek water to save their structures. Residents note that Holy Jim is essentially a natural hearth, filled with cabins made of wood hewed during the Great Depression. If history holds, Holy Jim will burn, if not now then soon."

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/06/holy-jim-a-community-out-of-time-under-threat/

I don’t deny that. But apparently this guy has a history and the neighbors have had issues. There is more to the story than what we are privy to.

Thanks to everyone for being so civilized while this fire burns.

I’m not reading a bunch of selfish posts about “where am I supposed to ride......?” Like I have seen from people inregards to other fires.

I'm too bummed to think about it. More like sad. I've (like so many on here) have sent a ton of hours on those mountains. I'm going to miss spending entire days up there suffering this winter.

Yeah, but everyone's thinking it!
Yeah... I’m thinking it for you guys! :oops:
I'm doing a roadie ride up to Big Bear...so I am selfish in a different way :laughing

We may all be thinking it....but it is not at the forefront of the conversation.

When the Oaks was burning, it felt like people were more concerned that their riding was gonna be inconvenienced...all the while people were scrambling to save homes and animals.

Saw the same thing on one the other boards from the San Diego fire last year...the fire was fully engulfed, but some were more concerned with where to ride around the fire.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding where some people place their priorities.

I know we are all saddened and I. Fear of losing some of our beloved trails....but it is refreshing to not have to wade through whiney posts about how “I can’t ride today”. So again thanks.

J. Hubble wrote:

Good Morning,

Here is the latest update from the US Forest Service:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Southern California Inter-agency Incident Management Team 1

Holy Fire Update
August 10, 2018, 0800 Update

Acres Burned: 18,137
Containment: 5%
Fire Started: August 6, 2017
Cause: Human Caused

Engines: 86
Helicopters: 14
Fixed Wing: 12
Dozers: 14
Water Tenders: 8
Crews: 28
Total Personnel: 1206

Trabuco Canyon, Calif., August 9, 2018 – The fire remained active yesterday and is currently estimated at 18,137 acres with 5% containment. Containment lines continue to be constructed and developed around the fire utilizing both air and ground resources. High temperatures with low humidity is expected over the next several days, which may hinder firefighting efforts. One firefighter was reported injured yesterday.

Extreme fire behavior was observed to the north and east portions of the fire. Steep terrain, dry fuels, and inaccessible areas continue to be a factor in fire spread. Suppression efforts are focused on community defense, and limiting the spread south towards Hwy 74.

The number of structures burned remains 12. Structure assessments will be conducted today in the affected areas. More than 20,000 people have been placed under mandatory evacuations with numerous others under evacuations warning. Residents are asked to evacuate as early as possible so as not to hinder firefighting operations.

EVACUATIONS:

Lake Elsinore: Mandatory Evacuations for all homes on the mountainside of Lake St and southwest of Grand Ave to the Ortega Highway.

Voluntary evacuations are in effect for the Shoreline community

Mandatory evacuations remain in effect for:
· Holy Jim, Trabuco Canyon Recreation Residence Tracts, Blue Jay and Falcon Campgrounds, McVicker Canyon, Rice Canyon, El Cariso Village, Rancho Capistrano, Horsethief Canyon, Glen Eden Canyon, and Sycamore Creek. Road closures will continue until evacuation orders are lifted.

There are two evacuation centers open for residents in both Orange and Riverside Counties.

· Riverside: Temescal Canyon High School, 28755 El Toro Rd Lake Elsinore CA 92532 for residents.

· Orange County: San Juan Hills High School located at 29211 Stallion Ridge, San Juan Capistrano.

The Holy Fire Joint Information Center is available to take calls from the public. The phone numbers are (714) 628-7085 and (714) 573-6210.

Media should use the Holy Fire Joint Information Center Line: (657) 345-4277.

People can also monitor these locations for more information:

SOCIAL MEDIA
· U.S. Forest Service Twitter: @ClevelandNF
· U.S. Forest Service Facebook: @clevelandnf
· Orange County Fire Authority Twitter: @OCFA_PIO
· Orange County Fire Authority Facebook: @OrangeCountyFire
· Orange County Emergency Operations Center Twitter: @OrangeCountyEOC
· Orange County Emergency Operations Center Facebook: @OrangeCountyEOC
· Primary hashtag is #HolyFire
· Website OCgov.com
· Website Rivcoready.org

Here is a link to live webcams on Santiago Peak:

https://www.rntl.net/orangefirewebcams.htm

S.gif

I don’t deny that. But apparently this guy has a history and the neighbors have had issues. There is more to the story than what we are privy to.

Of course, but federal rules banning the Holy Jim Volunteer Fire Dept. from using creek water to protect the cabins and the FS stating that they had a plan to protect the cabins does not allow for quick local suppression. And I'm not sure, but I don't remember the cabins having the standard brush (and tree) clearance that could've also bought some time--either to help protect the cabins or to keep a fire from jumping from the cabins to the forest. Maybe unavoidable in a narrow canyon like this, what with oak tree/habitat protections we have--although the oaks and/or natural topography didn't fair well in Saddle Crest, the new neighborhood across from the stables on Santiago Canyon Road. :confused:

There's also an interesting email exchange in the article's comment section between Holy Jim's Michael Milligan and Peter Fahnestock of the USGS concerning whether or not the cabins are situated in a flood plain (for a 100 year flood). It's my understanding that the recent study claims the flood line is 40 to 50 feet above the cabins. If true, that'd be a massive flood and possibly devastating county-wide. I've read in the past that the Santa Ana River floodplain below Santa Ana canyon was (or is) considered the biggest flood hazard west of the Mississippi, and Prado and 7-Oaks dams, along with river channelization, were built to protect that part of Orange County. "The Great Flood of 1862" was called a thousand-year flood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_River (see Floods, drought and legacy)

We may all be thinking it....but it is not at the forefront of the conversation.

When the Oaks was burning, it felt like people were more concerned that their riding was gonna be inconvenienced...all the while people were scrambling to save homes and animals.

Saw the same thing on one the other boards from the San Diego fire last year...the fire was fully engulfed, but some were more concerned with where to ride around the fire.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding where some people place their priorities.

I know we are all saddened and I. Fear of losing some of our beloved trails....but it is refreshing to not have to wade through whiney posts about how “I can’t ride today”. So again thanks.

The fire is causing a lot of suffering, I'm particularly saddened and almost in tears with the loss of wildlife and the suffering they are experiencing.
Unfortunately most can't out run the flames.

My recreational riding is of no consequence in comparison.
Trails will come back, homes can be rebuilt, loss of life is permanent. :cry:

Back