Is something Burning in OC

If you look at the live feeds, they have dropped a lot of fire suppressant anywhere there are radar towers. For example the Modjeska Radar Tower area has fire suppressant, even though it is a good mile from the nearest flame.

Seems like they are willing to let it burn forest... as long as buildings aren't in harm's way. I'm not being critical - I think with limited resources you have to have priorities. However it just makes me sad watching more and more of the CNF go up :(

By the way - did we get confirmation that Blackstar is closed?

If you look at the live feeds, they have dropped a lot of fire suppressant anywhere there are radar towers. For example the Modjeska Radar Tower area has fire suppressant, even though it is a good mile from the nearest flame.

Seems like they are willing to let it burn forest... as long as buildings aren't in harm's way. I'm not being critical - I think with limited resources you have to have priorities. However it just makes me sad watching more and more of the CNF go up :(

The original closure was Maple Springs ------->

Just saw this on facebook -

https://www.facebook.com/events/2227764857250887/

U.S. Forest Service - Cleveland National Forest
Public
· Hosted by U.S. Forest Service - Cleveland National Forest
Today at 6 PM
Temescal Valley Elementary
22950 Claystone Ave, Corona, California 92883
Details
There will be a #HolyFire public meeting tonight for the Trilogy community held at the Temescal Valley Elementary School (22950 Claystone Ave in Corona) at 6pm. Representatives from the fire will be there to answer questions.
For those who cannot make it, we will be streaming it live here on the Cleveland National Forest Facebook page

That's the plan in this day and age, "let it burn". But they work to keep it from destroying structures. Fire is a natural event and it's my understanding that much of the area hasn't burned in 30 years or so. This is part of the reason why these fires grow so large... "let it burn".

Of course, it's sad to see what we know and love disappear from site. But it will come back.

The Station Fire in 2009 (just outside my doorstep) ended up being the largest fire of it's time in our state's history and it burned for weeks. However, regrowth has erased much of the loss already. We lost several stands of tall forest trees forever but the Chaparral is back 90% now. Times flies, you'll see.

...And do watch out for the return of the dreaded Poodle Dog bush, especially you @Faust29! :eek: It makes a poison oak rash seem like an ice cream sundae in comparison.

Update on Blackstar. Trail is open, and it was so deserted, like in the good old days. Went over to Sierra Peak and forgot that there was a fire a while back, too. These are pictures from the towers that obviously burned. No sign of smoke or fire on our ride, so fingers crossed that the fire will soon be contained. We did see a bunch of helicopters with water drop hoses (not sure what those are called). Probably keeping an eye on the rest of the forest. Temps were were pleasant, so I am sure that helps as well.

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

It's wide open desert out there. Go out on some dark road and set up right there. If you have a high clearance vehicle, drive up to Site Six (mtn bike ST) and find a good spot.
My daughter and I went one year and every spot was full. We ended up outside the southern end of the park with about a 1,000 others parked in a line. You could hear hoots from the far end as one started, and then it was like the wave at a football game as it passed overhead, and the cheers travelled with it.

Back on topic, I feel a visceral animosity towards that numnut that I haven’t felt in a long time. I’m sure he’s got mental issues, but I hope he’s put away for a long while.

Update on Blackstar. Trail is open, and it was so deserted, like in the good old days. Went over to Sierra Peak and forgot that there was a fire a while back, too. These are pictures from the towers that obviously burned. No sign of smoke or fire on our ride, so fingers crossed that the fire will soon be contained. We did see a bunch of helicopters with water drop hoses (not sure what those are called). Probably keeping an eye on the rest of the forest. Temps were were pleasant, so I am sure that helps as well.

View attachment 42466

View attachment 42467
The copters with the hanging hoses are called Sky Cranes. They hover over a body of water and suck water in through the hose to fill their tank. The water is released from the tank, not the hose.

Good Morning Everyone,

Here is the latest update from the US Forest Service:

Steep inaccessible terrain continues to be a factor to spread into new areas and align for strong head fire runs and lateral movement. Fire continues to spread east and north with only limited spread to the west. The fire will continue to impact subdivisions along the foothills of Riverside County. There remains the daily potential for an "Elsinore" down slope event. The fire spread will be an impact to Orange County Subdivision of El Cariso Village. The atmosphere over the fire continues to be very unstable and will allow for large smoke column development and active to extreme fire behavior. Fire continues to directly impact communities during the next shift.

The incident has issued mandatory evacuation notices for Mayhew/Sycamore Creek, Glen Eden, Machado and South El Cariso, Riverside and voluntary evacuations in Shoreline zones. The evacuation area covers 7,449 single family homes and numerous commercial structures with estimated evacuees totaling 21,484 people.
There are hard road closures for the areas under evacuation order. Until these closures are lifted, residents are not permitted back to check on or get small animals.
After completing a structure assessment in the Holy Jim community, there are 12 confirmed structures lost during the initial attack phase of the fire.
The incident is now in unified command with US Forest Service, CAL Fire, Riverside County Fire, Orange County Fire Authority, and the California Highway Patrol.

Forecasted weather for the fire area will see temperatures between 91-97 and relative humidity of 30-40 percent and could see gusty winds to 25 mph from the west and strong down slope winds on the eastern slopes of the fire. These conditions will increase the likelihood of extreme fire behavior as well as heat illness issues for the firefighters and the public. Monsoonal moisture coupled with an approaching eastern hurricane will increase instability and bring scattered thunderstorms to portions of Southeastern California. This combination will result in a period of near critical fire weather over the Holy Fire. Drying and warming over the weekend with gusty local winds with midlevel moisture will return to the area leading to more instability, gusty winds and a chance for thunderstorms.

Just click on the link and it will pull up everything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://twitter.com/ClevelandNF/status/1028319700579581952

This is the west-pointing image from the Santiago Peak cams...I hope we are not looking at a new spark on the south side of Modjeska. If it goes down that canyon, a lot of people are well and truly screwed. :(:eek:

Just noticed it's really hard to see in this copied image....but there's something going on below the peak and below what I assume are fire-related vehicles on MD.

sp-w-mobo-c.jpg

This is the west-pointing image from the Santiago Peak cams...I hope we are not looking at a new spark on the south side of Modjeska. If it goes down that canyon, a lot of people are well and truly screwed. :(:eek:

Just noticed it's really hard to see in this copied image....but there's something going on below the peak and below what I assume are fire-related vehicles on MD.

View attachment 42649
Those vehicles look like they are going the opposite direction, down the mountain on MD. Every time i check the time lapse theyre further away. Day crew leaving?
I dont see the spark your refrring to, and before dark modjeska looked like the flames were out. Hopefully.

Those vehicles look like they are going the opposite direction, down the mountain on MD. Every time i check the time lapse theyre further away. Day crew leaving?
I dont see the spark your refrring to, and before dark modjeska looked like the flames were out. Hopefully.

Yeah, I don't see it anymore either. Thank (insert favored deity). I'm really glad it appears I was wrong. :thumbsup:

View attachment 42649
Those aren't fire related vehicles, that's Jason, Steve, and a few of their buds. :D

LAKE ELSINORE, Calif. (KABC) --
Fire officials on Saturday morning announced that containment of the massive Holy Fire has nearly tripled from 10 percent to 29 percent, offering a glimmer of hope to residents of Riverside and Orange counties even as thousands of homes remain threatened.

The wildfire's acreage inched upward to 21,473 overnight as more than 1,500 firefighters were on the front lines of the inferno in the Cleveland National Forest.

As the fire entered its sixth day, helicopters and airplanes continued to drop fire retardant on flames burning in otherwise inaccessible terrain.
View attachment 42454
Cleveland NF@ClevelandNF

#Holyfire New Fire numbers this morning: 21,473 acres with 29% containment!

7:01 AM - Aug 11, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

More than 21,400 people were originally under evacuation orders, though many in Lake Elsinore and other areas have remained behind in an effort to defend their homes.

The U.S. Forest Service has since lifted evacuations for the areas of Horsethief Canyon in Corona, and McVicker and Rice canyons in Lake Elsinore,

DEVELOPING: More details will be added to this report as they become available.
Report a Typo
Great news!

I find this forecast disturbing though, especially concerning Joplin and Chiquito/San Juan trails, considering the amount of damage/loss already incurred--

"Forecasted weather for the fire area will see temperatures between 91-97 and relative humidity of 30-40 percent and could see gusty winds to 25 mph from the west and strong down slope winds on the eastern slopes of the fire. These conditions will increase the likelihood of extreme fire behavior as well as heat illness issues for the firefighters and the public. Monsoonal moisture coupled with an approaching eastern hurricane will increase instability and bring scattered thunderstorms to portions of Southeastern California. This combination will result in a period of near critical fire weather over the Holy Fire. Drying and warming over the weekend with gusty local winds with midlevel moisture will return to the area leading to more instability, gusty winds and a chance for thunderstorms."

Last edited:
Back