In Other News

Did you see the SpaceX launch this evening?

20240318_193144.jpg

Sleepy time preparations for the 2024 Association of Environmental Professionals conference.
View attachment 92805
Check out the Southridge MTB trails along the northern slopes of the Jurupa Hills.

I don't know what people are upset about. Lookit all that beautiful white and orange sprawl. There's no such thing as the anthropocene. :sleep:

And there's this take on it....the Holocene isn't over.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/22/...e_code=1.ek0.4paA.O9vC_AjHwNko&smid=url-share

That was a good read! I'm surprised no one suggested "technocene" or "we'refuckedocene" or "plasticocene" or "ebikeocene." I think what it comes down to is the question of whether nature is still a force and phenomenon independent of humankind, while acknowledging that humankind is entirely natural. Mental masturbation...

TRAVEL|CALIFORNIA PARKS

California park warns of illegal trails near 'unexploded' grenades
By Olivia HardenMarch 28, 2024

upload_2024-3-29_13-40-18.jpeg

FILE: Mountain biker Marco Mendez,of Greenfield, Calif., rides the trails at Fort Ord as local and national officials gathered to dedicate the 14,560-acre Fort Ord National Monument, on Saturday, May 19, 2012, in Monterey, Calif.

San Francisco Chronicle/Hearst N/Getty Images
The Bureau of Land Management has a clear message for visitors to Fort Ord National Monument: Stay on the designated trails.

Fort Ord National Monument in Marina on the Central Coast served as a military base for the U.S. Army between 1917 and 1994, and 1.5 million soldiers trained there over the years. But recently, U.S. Army safety officials said visitors have built illegal trails and bike jumps west of Barloy Canyon Road. Visitors could be in danger of running into “munitions and explosives of concern,” including “artillery projectiles, rockets, hand grenades, practice land mines, pyrotechnics, bombs, demolition materials and other items,” according to the Fort Ord Cleanup project.

“Unauthorized trail building and use of unsigned paths at the Fort Ord National Monument is dangerous,” Fort Ord National Monument Manager Eric Morgan said in a news release. “Creating illegal routes exposes visitors to unexploded ordnance hazards, destroys endangered plants and wildlife habitat, and is costly to remedy."

The park has several trails that are safe to use with rules specified on their signage and on the BLM website. BLM spokesperson Philip Oviatt told SFGATE the process of clearing the areas that are currently unauthorized to the public is ongoing.

“The army is going through, and they’re doing their processes of clearing the property. The hope is that once they clear any of those restricted properties, they turn them over to BLM, and then we can open those up for you,” Oviatt
B21775755.390186492;dc_trk_aid=430544750;dc_trk_cid=108115062;ord=713102;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=;tfua=;us_privacy=1---;ltd=;dc_tdv=1
p-FUyzBYbBCZKaG.gif
ProfilesEngineServlet

That was a good read! I'm surprised no one suggested "technocene" or "we'refuckedocene" or "plasticocene" or "ebikeocene." I think what it comes down to is the question of whether nature is still a force and phenomenon independent of humankind, while acknowledging that humankind is entirely natural. Mental masturbation...

Recently (I'm not going back to find it - you can) someone in the same publication stated that we've entered the "Obscene." Take from that what you will. :facepalm:

Saw that Ford Ord article, maybe they should use that approach to trails elsewhere?

Fort Ord is the reason I am a Californian. My dad was stationed there in the the late 50's to early 60's and decided California was much better than Indiana.
We never lived in that area, but I did grow up in the Bay Area. One of his Army buddies built a housing tract that backed up to the base. As a kid we would watch tanks roll right behind his back yard.

I imagine it’s basically a matter of separating via major geological vs anthropologic eras

Anyone ride Vailocity bike park in Temecula? Is this ok for a beginner beginner? Thanks guys.

Rocky. The trails on the bottom should be fine. Rolling climbing for like a couple hundred yards then it loops back for dawn hill rolling. There are a couple of these that go in and out of small valleys between the hills on the west side. This is about as easy climbing you can get. Just don’t climb up the ambulance fire road. That all techy riding up there coming down. Good places for beginners is Lake Guajome park, Lake Hodges and to the falls and back at Penasquitos from Canyon side park , West out east back. These are beginner beginner spots. Or another option is shuttling Marshal canyon from the tunnel at Esperanza to the park. I did this with my kids and they loved it. Then one day they said let’s climb it like you Dad! And the Mtb gods applauded

Rocky. The trails on the bottom should be fine. Rolling climbing for like a couple hundred yards then it loops back for dawn hill rolling. There are a couple of these that go in and out of small valleys between the hills on the west side. This is about as easy climbing you can get. Just don’t climb up the ambulance fire road. That all techy riding up there coming down. Good places for beginners is Lake Guajome park, Lake Hodges and to the falls and back at Penasquitos from Canyon side park , West out east back. These are beginner beginner spots. Or another option is shuttling Marshal canyon from the tunnel at Esperanza to the park. I did this with my kids and they loved it. Then one day they said let’s climb it like you Dad! And the Mtb gods applauded

Thanks Tom! There was a BMX event there today. I thought about taking my bike up there to check it out while I was there. I found out I wasn't going to be able to be there all day so I didn't take my bike. It definitely looked like there was plenty to ride in my comfort zone. It was a cool place to camp. It was fun, I had a good time. Legs are still sore just walking around that place.

Yup, that's the place. Great venue, cool little record shop behind it too.

I haven't been there, but really want to! I love the band Broken Baby who played at their No Panic Fest last month, but it didn't work out to go.

BB is great, worth seeing, GREAT live show. Saw them open for Dollyrots at Knitting Factory and they stole the show! Have been a fan ever since!

I haven't been there, but really want to! I love the band Broken Baby who played at their No Panic Fest last month, but it didn't work out to go.

BB is great, worth seeing, GREAT live show. Saw them open for Dollyrots at Knitting Factory and they stole the show! Have been a fan ever since!
Will check them out!

I saw spiritual cramp there recently and then Fred Armisen playing punk covers on Valentine’s Day for like $6 a person.

it’s not far from the LA river trail through Frogtown, so, you could ride that, do a loop at Griffith Park and then end at permanent records for beers. We did it several months ago. I’ll hit you up next time.

photo is @slooowsef out front.

IMG_1055.jpeg

Will check them out!

I saw spiritual cramp there recently and then Fred Armisen playing punk covers on Valentine’s Day for like $6 a person.

it’s not far from the LA river trail through Frogtown, so, you could ride that, do a loop at Griffith Park and then end at permanent records for beers. We did it several months ago. I’ll hit you up next time.

photo is @slooowsef out front.

View attachment 93162

I saw that Fred A show announcement... bet it would have been pretty fun!

Yeah, have BB on your radar... fantastic fun live show! Also Dummy who plays around town now and then (not fun like BB, but great sound)!

That ride is pretty much on my bucket list, so yes, please feel free to throw an invite my way!!!

Last edited:
FWIW, here's Steve Albini's contribution to the discourse:
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music
My favorite Albini moments are:

the book Our band could be your life: detailed his zine and extreme distaste:
/rivalry with the Band Ministry. He considered them posers.

And, in the JawBreaker documentary: he’s sitting in his studio talking about all of the equipment they used and how he recorded everything for their second album and the Jawbreaker guys are singing his praises and he stops mid sentence and goes “Wait, are we talking about Jawbox?”

Back