Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I’ll go first :oops:
I haven’t been tested, but have had a fever on and off for weeks, along with various other symptoms ranging from sore throat for a few days, headache, achy, chills, weakness and stomach upset. Finally had a long video talk with my brother last night, he and his wife are Dr’s in WA just outside of Seattle. I told them my symptoms and they looked at each other smiled and said “yep, you have Covid”( he’s usually family medicine, but is currently helping out with elderly for this pandemic) My brother wants to hook me up with a study that’s taking place re testing and building up antibodies etc.
Anyways...I’m not dying, but am on and off feeling pretty crappy. I’ll start to feel good, then head out for some hikes or rides and then the bugger knocks me down again. :facepalm: Lesson learned, stay down for longer and let this thing run its course. I really only suspected covid for this last week so have obviously not gone anywhere public since then.
I wasn’t gonna post this, it makes me feel sickly and weak, and I hate that vulnerability....but if it’s helps anyone then awesomeness ;)

I've had a very similar syndrome myself for the last 4 weeks. All the symptoms you describe, except I was not bedridden. Occasional low fever, highest just under 100, and like you say as far as the off-and on and relapse. It has "come back" weaker twice, most recently 4 days ago. I've been working remote all this time, not going out much. I declined to go to a small Easter family visit yesterday because of it. Wife seems OK (but hard to tell with her due to allergies). I would get tested if convenient, but I feel about 95% normal, no way going into the medical system now. Would like to go riding but turned off by all the parking access restrictions and excess people on trails I see on ride reports here. Starting to feel like home shelter and no cardio is more of a health threat than the plague. I'm doing indoor runs, I can do an oval shaped lap thru the kitchen, living around and dining area... 40 laps or so and gets the heart rate up for awhile. And 30 minute walks around the neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay-at-home orders for LA County have been extended to May 15th. That's going to kill a lot of businesses.

Every business is different, and every one of them is affected differently by the virus. Many of them fail during normal time. That is the nature of the beast.
In this case the federal government is basically paying small business to stay in business (and keep the employees on the payroll). The PPP program is a huge lifeline that will keep the light on for a few months.
Hopefully, the cash infusion will help most small business weather the storm.

How does the stimulus give extra advantage and additional wealth to the richest in the country? I know I'm not getting a dime and find no advantage in that. I have friends that had to close their business, losing 6 figures so far as they've continued to support their employees and no "loan" is going to get them whole. If their area of the state is closed thru May 15th, they might not ever re-open, a business that's been in operation 50+ years and has 15 full time employees with full benefits all without jobs. They weren't going to qualify for the $1200 based on last years tax statements but could probably use it right about now. Disclaimer: I do agree 100% that too much money is going where it shouldn't.

I try not to judge individuals without knowing their individual circumstances, but I think that every person should exhibit some level of financial maturity.
I try to teach my kids to have a "rainy day fund" to provide some financial buffer. I think that most people fall into a trap when then take a loans. I try not to borrow more than I currently have.
Unfortunately, too many people are leaving paycheck to paycheck, and they are looking for others to bail them out.

Generally, individuals who don't qualify for the $1200 check should have some buffer.
Employees who lost there jobs will receive additional $600 per week beyond regular unemployment.
Small business will receive 10 weeks payroll loan (that will become forgivable if they use it to pay their employees).
The economy will bunch back to some extent.
Hopefully, we are all going to learn something from this event that will prove to be more fruitful than the income we lost.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, my dear friend!!! :cry: I'm so sorry to hear you have it, however, I am so thankful that you did decide to share your thoughts and feelings with us. There is still so much we don't know about it, so at least for me, hearing from someone I know and trust about what they are dealing with gives me hope and reassurance. While I am not happy that you have it, I am glad that you are a healthy and fit person and you will get past it. That is very cool that you can help by being in a study about it!! We need all of the information we can about this unpredictable virus. Big virtual hugs to you, Sara. Take it easy and take care of yourself. And please keep updating us about your progress. :geek:

Thank you friend, I appreciate your kind words, they mean a lot :)
I’ll be fine... I know, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I’m sulking a tiny bit today as I’m feeling pretty friggin weak. And just want to get out and play
BUT, I have lots to be thankful for, as we all do!
Thanks again my mtb sister :inlove:

I've had a very similar syndrome myself for the last 4 weeks. All the symptoms you describe, except even at worst I was not bedridden. Occasional low fever, highest just under 100, and like you say as far as the off-and on and relapse. It has "come back" weaker twice, most recently 4 days ago. I've been working remote all this time, not going out much. I declined to go to a small Easter family visit yesterday because of it. Wife seems OK (but hard to tell with her due to allergies). I would get tested if convenient, but I feel about 95% normal, no way going into the medical system now. Would like to go riding but turned off by all the parking access restrictions and excess people on trails I see on ride reports here. Starting to feel like home shelter and no cardio is more of a health threat than the plague. So I'm doing indoor runs, I can do an oval shaped lap thru the kitchen, living around and dining area... 40 laps or so and gets the heart rate up for awhile. And 30 minute walks around the neighborhood.

Sorry to hear! I assumed I was dealing with this over and over due to my getting out onto the trails too soon. This mother trucking virus is tricky and is not to be taken lightly! Admittedly, in the beginning I thought..pshh, I’m healthy I won’t get it :bang: Last weekend after a mtb ride I felt great, so the next day I did a rainy 8mi hike....welp, that afternoon the symptoms hit me hard, felt like I was glued to the sofa and could hardly get up to shower!! It’s been over a week since that ride and I can’t seem to recoup.
Welp, this is why I came clean, so others will share and we can compare.
Hope you can get back to normal soon Rob, and thanks for chiming in:thumbsup::)

I try not to judge individuals without knowing their individual circumstances, but I think that every person should exhibit some level of financial maturity.
I try to teach my kids to have a "rainy day fund" to provide some financial buffer. I think that most people fall into a trap when then take a loans. I try not to borrow more than I currently have.
Unfortunately, too many people are leaving paycheck to paycheck, and they are looking for others to bail them out.

Generally, individuals who don't qualify for the $1200 check should have some buffer.
Employees who lost there jobs will receive additional $600 per week beyond regular unemployment.
Small business will receive 10 weeks payroll loan (that will become forgivable if they use it to pay their employees).
The economy will bunch back to some extent.
Hopefully, we are all going to learn something from this event that will prove to be more fruitful than the income we lost.

I agree and POUND THIS INTO MY KIDS about having that emergency money. Luckily my daughter is a saver and my son married a saver so they are doing well. They are also in the "essential" arena....nurse and military (now civilian police academy). I was shocked to learn a few months back that 58% of Americans didn't have a $1000 in the bank....so stunned I didn't believe I read the story right and looked elsewhere to verify the numbers.

I agree and POUND THIS INTO MY KIDS about having that emergency money. Luckily my daughter is a saver and my son married a saver so they are doing well. They are also in the "essential" arena....nurse and military (now civilian police academy). I was shocked to learn a few months back that 58% of Americans didn't have a $1000 in the bank....so stunned I didn't believe I read the story right and looked elsewhere to verify the numbers.
I've heard similar things before in the context of unexpected medical bills - that a good % of the population doesn't have money set aside to cover an unexpected bill of $500 or $1000. That is concerning because a doctor visit for pretty much any condition or injury can turn into that amount of a bill. Or car repairs. Or.... any number of things.

There is talk of governments looking at putting together plans to re-open the economy. I'm sure it will happen slowly, and in steps. The good news is we hopefully won't see additional restrictions. Fingers crossed trail closures are one of the first restrictions lifted!

Anybody who is feeling under the weather might be interested in this (I couldn't just click on it, but works if I type into browser; it's the 3 min 43 sec video on the left):

Thanks for posting that.

We (the physically active...) take breathing for granted... Not everyone has that luxury. :thumbsdown: I've seen firsthand how breathing exercises can help. Sometimes even a little bit of relief is a victory. :thumbsup:

I've heard similar things before in the context of unexpected medical bills - that a good % of the population doesn't have money set aside to cover an unexpected bill of $500 or $1000. That is concerning because a doctor visit for pretty much any condition or injury can turn into that amount of a bill.

One day as my wife was cleaning up in the kitchen, she dropped a butcher knife and grabbed for it, resulting in a deep gash on one finger. She didn't want to go to the emergency room, but I convinced her not to screw around. One hour in the emergency room later, six stitches, one shot of pain killer and one shot of antibiotics... and a bill for $2400.

Note that this was AFTER insurance.

Last edited:
One day as my wife was cleaning up in the kitchen, she dropped a butcher knife and grabbed for it, resulting in a deep gash on one finger. She didn't want to go to the emergency room, but I convinced her not to screw around. One hour in the emergency room later, six stitches, one shot of pain killer and one shot of antibiotics... and a bill for $2400.

Note that this was AFTER insurance.
When we first arrived here we had all sorts of problems getting our medical insurance set-up, a lot of computer says no moments meant that we were facing having to pay for our (at the time) 12 week old to get his next round of immunisations out of own pocket. Needless to say after they told us what it would cost (after a discount for cash payment) we said NFW. The entire family could have flown back to the UK, had a holiday and got the shots done for cheaper than what they were going to charge here just for the shots.
I was here on a work trip before we moved and had to get three stitches removed, $190 discounted to $130 because I paid cash. Took the robbing pricks max 5 minutes to do. I would have done it myself but I couldn't reach them :(

I can't get my head around how healthcare works in this country, the whole thing seems to be a rort from top to bottom.

I haven’t been tested, but have had a fever on and off for weeks, along with various other symptoms ranging from sore throat for a few days, headache, achy, chills, weakness and stomach upset. Finally had a long video talk with my brother last night, he and his wife are Dr’s in WA just outside of Seattle. I told them my symptoms and they looked at each other smiled and said “yep, you have Covid”( he’s usually family medicine, but is currently helping out with elderly for this pandemic) My brother wants to hook me up with a study that’s taking place re testing and building up antibodies etc.
Anyways...I’m not dying, but am on and off feeling pretty crappy. I’ll start to feel good, then head out for some hikes or rides and then the bugger knocks me down again. :facepalm: Lesson learned, stay down for longer and let this thing run its course. I really only suspected covid for this last week so have obviously not gone anywhere public since then.
I wasn’t gonna post this, it makes me feel sickly and weak, and I hate that vulnerability....but if it’s helps anyone then awesomeness ;)

Hope you come out the other side quickly @mountaingirl sara !

I have my suspicions that I may unknowingly have already had this. We had something go through our office late Jan early Feb that took everyone down to varying degrees. Pretty much everyone had fever at some point, one guy was bedridden for a few days and came back saying it was like the worst flu he had ever experienced. I had a bit of a fever and a persistent dry cough for a few weeks. None of us got tested though, our CTO tried to get tested but couldn't because his symptoms weren't considered severe enough - even though he ended up bedridden for a day as well at one point. He was just saying yesterday that a relative of his turned out to be California's first death from the virus.

Thank you friend, I appreciate your kind words, they mean a lot :)
I’ll be fine... I know, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I’m sulking a tiny bit today as I’m feeling pretty friggin weak. And just want to get out and play
BUT, I have lots to be thankful for, as we all do!
Thanks again my mtb sister :inlove:
Thinking of and praying for you, my friend. Take it easy and let yourself heal. However, make sure you do lots of deep breathing exercises to keep your lungs healthy.

Dang Sara, sorry to read this! You’ll kick it, hope you’re feeling better and enjoying the outdoors soon.

Still haven't heard your plan...

How about this:

Go to work. Wear your mask. Wash your hands. Don't hug or kiss your fellow employees. Realize that humans are not things you want to spend any time in close physical contact with.

Problem solved.

More seriouser - if you think government is a good thing, then know that tax receipts that matter, such as sales, excise, income and such, are down and expected to be 75% below pre-COVID19 projections. This means that services will be curtailed, because the state and local agencies cannot print money.

If you don't think government is a good thing, then realize that extending these measures (as they exist today) will result in fewer options being available, which will lead to higher prices, and will lead to higher crime in the next 6 months as desperate people who can't participate in the workforce run out of options.

To be brutally realistic, you can't continue to kill the economy without losing the battle. Lives will be lost, but that's a daily reality anyway.

Sorry, not sorry.

How about this:

Go to work. Wear your mask. Wash your hands. Don't hug or kiss your fellow employees. Realize that humans are not things you want to spend any time in close physical contact with.

Problem solved.

More seriouser - if you think government is a good thing, then know that tax receipts that matter, such as sales, excise, income and such, are down and expected to be 75% below pre-COVID19 projections. This means that services will be curtailed, because the state and local agencies cannot print money.

If you don't think government is a good thing, then realize that extending these measures (as they exist today) will result in fewer options being available, which will lead to higher prices, and will lead to higher crime in the next 6 months as desperate people who can't participate in the workforce run out of options.

To be brutally realistic, you can't continue to kill the economy without losing the battle. Lives will be lost, but that's a daily reality anyway.

Sorry, not sorry.
Thank you for sharing your ideas of what we should do. I wish it were that simple. I don't think that solves mass transportation, social gatherings, schools, ships or even elevators. If gloves, hand washing and masks solves it - awesome! Glad it's so simple! :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing your ideas of what we should do. I wish it were that simple. I don't think that solves mass transportation, social gatherings, schools, ships or even elevators. If gloves, hand washing and masks solves it - awesome! Glad it's so simple! :thumbsup:

Pooh-pooh all you want. Preventing viral transmission really is as simple as that, but some will get it anyway. Listen to the folks who do the virology, because that's what they're telling you.

Social gatherings are overrated anyway.

Pooh-pooh all you want. Preventing viral transmission really is as simple as that, but some will get it anyway. Listen to the folks who do the virology, because that's what they're telling you.

Social gatherings are overrated anyway.
Cool! :cool:

And if we are overrun with cases of a virus that overwhelms hospitals, and for which we do not have tests, treatment or vaccines we then shut things down?

How about this:

Problem solved.

Sorry, not sorry.
It's already too late. We are screwed for a while or longer no matter what course of action we take now or later. Your world and mine is forever changed. At least we have bikes.

Still haven't heard your plan...

From day one, I’ve said if you’re going “lock down” then LOCK IT DOWN. No weed shops, no Starbucks, no 7-11’s, no fast food restaurants, no bait & tackle shops, nothing except truly, can’t live without essential businesses should be open. With this half ass approach with 100’s if not 1000’s of people going every day to Wally World, Costco and every grocery store on the planet, it’s all hypocrisy at it’s finest. Then the trails and beach closures force everybody into smaller confined areas together. I witnessed it today on my road ride.

So now that they’ve already gone this far, my answer is to open it up May 1st like *most* of the country. Will more people die than if we kept it closed until June 1st? Probably so but that argument holds true for every month after that as well. Why don’t we just go all in and be ultra safe and stay indoors until January 1st, 2021. I realize people don’t want to hear it but we need to get the country and economy moving forward again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back