Is something Burning in OC

:cry:

20180726_113745.jpg

J. Hubble:

Thank you all for your patience. This information has been somewhat delayed while the folks that have been impacted the most have been taken care of. Here is the very latest information available.

EVACUATIONS:
Mandatory Evacuations in effect for 7,053 homes in the areas:
Riverside County - Sycamore Creek, Rice Canyon, McVicker, Horse Thief Canyon, Indian Hills/Glen Eden, Coldwater

Orange County- El Cariso Village

ROAD CLOSURES & IMPACTS
· Highway 74 is closed from Grand Ave (Riverside County) to Nichols Institute (Orange County) No one is allowed entry at this time.

· CARE & RECEPTION SITES
· Temescal Canyon High School, 28755 El Toro Rd Lake Elsinore CA 92532
· San Juan Hills High School located at 29211 Stallion Ridge, San Juan Capistrano(Secured at 2200 hours and will reopen at 0600 hours) If any Orange County evacuees needs assistance, they should contact the Public Information Hotline 714-628-7085

ANIMAL SHELTERS
Small Animals are being accepted at:

1. Veterinary Medical and Surgical Group – Orange County (VMSG – OC) – 24 hour facility 31896 Plaza Dr. Ste C1, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
-400-5091

2. OC Animal Care at 1630 Victory Road in Tustin, CA 92782
714-935-6848 (8:00 am to 5:00 pm) and 714-259-1122 (after hours)

Large Animals are being accepted at:

1. Mission Trails Stables (10 stalls open)
28432 Calle Arroyo, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

2. Rancho Sierra Vista (10 stalls open)
31441 Avenida de la Vista, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

3. Anaheim Equestrian Center / Rancho Del Rio (30 stalls open)
1370 S Sanderson Ave, Anaheim, CA 92806
-535-3510 or 714-906-5522 (after hours)

4. Anaheim Hills Saddle Club (15 stalls open and pasture space for 5 horses)
6352 E Nohl Ranch Rd, Anaheim, CA 92807
-392-7738 or 714-397-2930

5. Phillip Schwartz (Private Citizen) (1 arena for 10-15 horses, 1 covered corral for 2-3 horses)
6431 Lago Grande Bonsall
949-300-8619 ** Easy trailer access into property)

Public Information Hotline remains activated for questions and updates on the incident at 714-628-7085

People can also monitor these locations for more information

SOCIAL MEDIA
· U.S. Forest Service Twitter: @ClevelandNF
· U.S. Forest Service Facebook: @clevelandnf
· Orange County Fire Authority Twitter: @OCFA_PIO
· Orange County Fire Authority Facebook: @OrangeCountyFire
· Orange County Emergency Operations Center Twitter: @OrangeCountyEOC
· Orange County Emergency Operations Center Facebook: @OrangeCountyEOC
· Primary hashtag is #HolyFire
· Website OCgov.com
· Website Rivcoready.org

Smoky here by Cooks this morning, presumably from the usual overnight offshore flow. One of my biggest concerns, on this side of the fire, is what happens if we have a Santa Ana wind event before the embers of this fire are out? The Santiago Fire of '07 and the Canyon Fire 2 are two local examples of the wind changing direction either during, or soon after, the initial fire. In this case, are we taking precautions to protect cities on the Orange County side of the mountains as well as the Riverside County side?

We are taking in a number of horses over here at Nellie Gail Ranch as part of the evacuation. We probably have room for a lot more, but people seem to forget us come horse evac time - not sure why.

That video is awesome. At the same time, it looked as if the fire had been beaten down pretty well as of sunset day 1. Sad that it flared up again.

edit, updated perimeter map is up. Took out coldwater and perimeter is right at uhj. Getting close to bluejay on south side, looks like its holding east of n main divide there and theyre trying for long canyon road as a firebreak. getting close to homes in north elsinore. Looks like the cabins in HJ are safe for now.

Last edited:
coldwater
indian truck trail
holy jim
west horsethief
east horsethief
trabuco
north main divide
los pinos
bell ridge
yeager
possibly san juan/chiquito
possibly joplin

this is a nightmare

It hasn't touched any part of L Holy Jim yet... and for it to hit Joplin would be a major catastrophe because that would mean it took out Santiago Peak and the cell towers.

Same can be said about San Juan / chiquito. The fire has to burn downhill to make it over there.

Let's hope for the best.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

It hasn't touched any part of L Holy Jim yet... and for it to hit Joplin would be a major catastrophe because that would mean it took out Santiago Peak and the cell towers.

Same can be said about San Juan / chiquito. The fire has to burn downhill to make it over there.

Let's hope for the best.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

well, thats why I said possibly! I am hoping for the best. I actually think theyll hold it from chiquito (my favorite trail) and doubt it will hit joplin, seems like the eastern side near elsinore is the most active. Even though lower holy jim is unburned, the entire area including hj canyon will probably be closed as long as trabuco is due to mudslide danger.

Yes... But there you run into two sets of rules. The school violation would most likely result in suspension or expulsion. For the "threat" to go further in the legal system, it has to have more to it, such as the realistic opportunity to carry it out, as well as the materials necessary. It also helps to have a valid timeframe. I've been through a few dozen of those...

And... If you really want to get off scott free, download music, and create a rap CD describing how you will kill 50 of your classmates (naming them) and your favorite administrator (named him, too) with a 12 gauge and a machete. "My" track (#13) was set to Eminem's beats. It may get a quick look from the FBI, but in the end, it's just "art". Then do it again and mail it to the administrator personally.

Ask me how I know this...
Obviously someone in authority "escalated" the situation and failed to show the youngster adequate "sensitivity" to the environmental issues which caused this "dis-enfranchised" youth to resort to such behavior! That's the line of :poop: I got when a kid threatened me with "I'm gonna Cap your a$$" after dropping several "F-Yous!" when I wouldn't let him leave my class to talk to a friend!o_O I got out just in time!:thumbsup: Sorry for the derail!

well, thats why I said possibly! I am hoping for the best. I actually think theyll hold it from chiquito (my favorite trail) and doubt it will hit joplin, seems like the eastern side near elsinore is the most active. Even though lower holy jim is unburned, the entire area including hj canyon will probably be closed as long as trabuco is due to mudslide danger.

Holy Jim wouldn't be a mudslide problem in dry weather. (Landslide if it burn[ed], I guess.) It could conceivably have a conditional closure, like Maple Springs Road.

BTW, it's been a years since I did Chiquito, but Lion Canyon looked like it would explode in a fire and I took it off my hot/windy day ride list.

As for Chiquito, Joplin, etc., I wouldn't rule anything out at this point. Yeah, we can hope, but this whole thing is breaking my heart and I didn't see any lateral ridgeline breaks being cut on day 1 helicopter coverage. Please tell me if I missed something or they've got them done now. I feel so sorry for Elsinore area residents, as well as all of us who love this little forest.

Last edited:
Back