In Other News

Long ago went to Cambodia ..helped w building a school in remote area..100 degrees...took a break by myself.
Walked ..found a hole in wall..
Inside was a freezer.. attached to generator in the back...inside freezer? Frozen mugs.. out came cold anghkor beer.. into frozen mug...
Best beer ever...

For my fellow car geeks in here (maybe we need an actual car thread). My car is in for some warranty work today, and my service advisor who I have cultivated a good relationship with always hooks me up with the coolest service loaners. This thing is so badass. Audi E-tron. Their first full electric car. It is by far the smoothest and most solid feeling car I have ever been in. Such a feat of tech and engineering. All touch screen interfaces, which usually annoy me, but are executed so well here. Every tap gives a click sensation similar to the previous home button on the iPhone 8. The car itself sounds like a space ship. For pedestrian safety a manufactured noise is produced at low speeds so the car doesn't sneak up on people like a typical electric/hybrid car would, and it sounds like something straight out of the Jetsons. Anyway, this isn't the type of car I typically drool over, but it's really beyond cool, and I'm totally smitten.

View attachment 58560

View attachment 58561

View attachment 58562
Hehehe
There’s a reason (marketing) for giving you that car as a loaner.
At our dealership we have model year 18-19 Accords and Civics to loan out. Not surprising to see people just trade in their older model.

For my fellow car geeks in here (maybe we need an actual car thread). My car is in for some warranty work today, and my service advisor who I have cultivated a good relationship with always hooks me up with the coolest service loaners. This thing is so badass. Audi E-tron. Their first full electric car. It is by far the smoothest and most solid feeling car I have ever been in. Such a feat of tech and engineering. All touch screen interfaces, which usually annoy me, but are executed so well here. Every tap gives a click sensation similar to the previous home button on the iPhone 8. The car itself sounds like a space ship. For pedestrian safety a manufactured noise is produced at low speeds so the car doesn't sneak up on people like a typical electric/hybrid car would, and it sounds like something straight out of the Jetsons. Anyway, this isn't the type of car I typically drool over, but it's really beyond cool, and I'm totally smitten.

View attachment 58560

View attachment 58561

View attachment 58562
Been eyeing that for a while. My 2010 Q5 is getting long in the tooth, and my commute would be best served with voltage rather than gas. Glad you liked it enough to gush about it. I've read similar reviews. If my dealership is smart, they will loan me one when I bring in my Q5 for its 150,000 mile service.

Hehehe
There’s a reason (marketing) for giving you that car as a loaner.
At our dealership we have model year 18-19 Accords and Civics to loan out. Not surprising to see people just trade in their older model.
For sure. Audi usually gives you the newest version of whatever car you already have, or something close to that. The E-Tron is at a different price point than my car, and I actually had to request it, but my SA is pretty cool about hooking me up with the coolest thing that he can. That said, though this car is beyond my reach, getting to drive it for 2 days as a loaner took it from something that I found interesting to something I badly want. If I were in a different tax bracket it would have been an effective strategy.

Been eyeing that for a while. My 2010 Q5 is getting long in the tooth, and my commute would be best served with voltage rather than gas. Glad you liked it enough to gush about it. I've read similar reviews. If my dealership is smart, they will loan me one when I bring in my Q5 for its 150,000 mile service.
Honestly, after spending more time in it, I give a heartfelt tip of the hat to Audi. It's an ergonomic masterpiece. Wireless Apple CarPlay with the touchscreen, combined with wireless phone charging is such a user friendly (and safe) way to integrate full phone function and apps like Waze into the car. The instant torque of the electric motor for passing is addictive too. I'd be lying if I said I didn't crunch some numbers. After spending $82 to fill up my wife's midsize SUV the other day I calculated the annual gas savings for her in this car, and it would be about $4K annually. Add that to the rebates and tax credits for EVs, and the price tag starts to look a bit more palatable. If you can swing it, and an EV fits into your driving habits, I really can't recommend this car enthusiastically enough, and this is not a segment that usually appeals to me.

Also, for the parking challenged, the top view cam is pretty sweet.

A66A85F0-A2B9-482E-A867-017000E4AF52.jpeg

We should mention that the A3 E-Tron is a hybrid car and not fully electric. Why they called it the same thing is beyond me. :facepalm:
It's a pretty lame car for the price tag as well. My wife drove test drove one a couple times a couple years back, and it was kind of the worst of both worlds. I guess the E-tron moniker is going to be on all of their electric vehicles. I think the E-tron GT (sport coupe) is next.

So the hits keep coming! :thumbsup::thumbsdown:
With the current red flag warning for low humidity and high wild fire status, our power has been off since yesterday at 10:00am. Spent the day in Bakersfield seeking a generator to power up the fridge and freezer as they have suggested this could have the potential to go days.

We WERE going to go cut firewood this weekend, but with the power out, we did not want a house sitter to deal with that.

So with the new generator out from humming away, I post to you off the grid.

Mrs. Watson is begging me to go ride my bike Saturday because I’m being a pissy little bitch. It’s true, I am. :oops:

Last edited:
So the hits keep coming! :thumbsup::thumbsdown:
With the current red flag warning for low humidity and high wild fire status, our power has been off since yesterday at 10:00am. Spent the day in Bakersfield seeking a generator to power up the fridge and freezer as they have suggested this could have the potential to go days.

We WERE going to go cut firewood this weekend, but with the power out, we did not want a house sitter to deal with that.

So with the new generator out from humming away, I post to you off the grid.

Mrs. Watson is begging me to go ride my bike Saturday because I’m being pissy little bitch. It’s true, I am. :oops:
Dear @Mikie,

I love you like a brother but you are being a pissy little bitch. I really think that you ought to go ride tomorrow.

Love, Ssnakes

:Roflmao

The evil utilities are to blame for the wildfires. Fine them! Make them pay!!!!

The evil utilities turned off the power to lessen their exposure to liability. Make them turn it back on!!

Does no one see the dichotomy?
I see a couple of things.
I see a utility monopoly that has total control over the public utility option for my household. I see a company that has an inadequate distribution system that could not withstand the natural forces it was supposed to be engineered for, like bridges that are designed for that 100 year flood? So would it be safe to suggest that companies like Pathetic Gas & Electric have let their field equipment fall into less them optimum service condition and now instead of repair and improvement, they just turn off the power?

Kinda like California roads... when they get rough and need repair, instead of fixing them, they just put up a sign that says, “Rough Road Ahead”.

That’s what I see...

I see a couple of things.
I see a utility monopoly that has total control over the public utility option for my household. I see a company that has an inadequate distribution system that could not withstand the natural forces it was supposed to be engineered for, like bridges that are designed for that 100 year flood? So would it be safe to suggest that companies like Pathetic Gas & Electric have let their field equipment fall into less them optimum service condition and now instead of repair and improvement, they just turn off the power?

Kinda like California roads... when they get rough and need repair, instead of fixing them, they just put up a sign that says, “Rough Road Ahead”.

That’s what I see...
I mitigate by driving 60 mph in lanes 1 and 2 of the freeway because big rigs smash the concrete in lanes 3 and 4. There should be a gas tax or something to pay for road repairs. Damn roadies always complaining about the roads. Go ride your mountain bike!

Back