In Other News

In any case I’m packed and ready to go into hiding-

9695C49C-9961-4AE8-BD29-A6BB49746EE1.jpeg

Another one bites the dust. Roam Cyclery in Westminster is closing. It's only been there a few years.

I was in the shop early, eating my lunch on the couch and watching TV. The Electra rep came in with someone and walked around as they waited to talk to the owner.
The rep told his buddy, "This shop will be gone in 5 years"
His buddy said "3", and they laughed and then shook the owner's hand.
I don't doubt they're right.
Still gonna need someone to install those internet parts...

I was in the shop early, eating my lunch on the couch and watching TV. The Electra rep came in with someone and walked around as they waited to talk to the owner.
The rep told his buddy, "This shop will be gone in 5 years"
His buddy said "3", and they laughed and then shook the owner's hand.
I don't doubt they're right.
Still gonna need someone to install those internet parts...
How about 1,500 sq ft commercial space in unincorporated San Bernardino County between Chino and Chino Hills for only service? Open 24 hours per day (3 shifts) with a premium to be paid between 7pm and 10am, you know the times you realize your brake pads are gone or your BB has ceased or your dropper sploogied the night before a big ride?

$2.00 per square foot rent.

anyone? Bueller? Hellooooooo?

How about 1,500 sq ft commercial space in unincorporated San Bernardino County between Chino and Chino Hills for only service? Open 24 hours per day (3 shifts) with a premium to be paid between 7pm and 10am, you know the times you realize your brake pads are gone or your BB has ceased or your dropper sploogied the night before a big ride?

There’s genius in this.

Seriously though, it seems like it’s going to take alt business models for shops to survive. I have a neighbor that recently opened a shop, and he told me they make virtually nothing on parts, or even bikes. It’s all about shop work, and their other services. He’s a former triathlete, so their shop is part shop and part training facility, complete with an onsite nutritionist, food bar, and massage therapist. The shop that I use is really just the back of a restaurant and coffee shop. I only found out the other day that they are authorized dealers for at least 4 different manufacturers. I bet they don’t have more than 4 actual bikes on site, and they’re all Moots, and displayed around the restaurant more like art.

No thanks!

24 hours would be a waste. Open from 6am to 11am, then again at 3 or 4 until 9 or 10pm

I am totally happy with my current set up. I work when I want and get great discounts on good gear. I will ride this ship down like it's the Andrea Gail... :eek:

You walk into the bike repair shop. It is just a small, brightly lit room with a touch screen kiosk. There is no one to greet you. You follow the prompts on the screen while thinking, these instructions and questions are crazy, they must think I'm an idiot!;)
If your bike is accepted, you can place it on the hooks or rollers for transport to the repair area.
You are issued a ticket, a UPC code, and a text notification of when your bike may be done and how much it will cost.
Once the payment is processed the bike is taken into the repair area.
The mechs are trained and certified, got a $15/hr min wage and MFA.
You don't get special treatment because you are a racer, club member, or bro. Emergencies on your part do not constitute an emergency on our part.
Sometimes we have to order parts, but QBP has drone delivery via UPS if you can afford it.
Come on down. Don't hang out. Don't try and tell me how to fix your bike. Don't come looking for a cup of coffee.
We fix bikes.
:rolleyes:

You walk into the bike repair shop. It is just a small, brightly lit room with a touch screen kiosk. There is no one to greet you. You follow the prompts on the screen while thinking, these instructions and questions are crazy, they must think I'm an idiot!;)
If your bike is accepted, you can place it on the hooks or rollers for transport to the repair area.
You are issued a ticket, a UPC code, and a text notification of when your bike may be done and how much it will cost.
Once the payment is processed the bike is taken into the repair area.
The mechs are trained and certified, got a $15/hr min wage and MFA.
You don't get special treatment because you are a racer, club member, or bro. Emergencies on your part do not constitute an emergency on our part.
Sometimes we have to order parts, but QBP has drone delivery via UPS if you can afford it.
Come on down. Don't hang out. Don't try and tell me how to fix your bike. Don't come looking for a cup of coffee.
We fix bikes.
:rolleyes:
At 2 am!

24 hour drop-off. Pick up during the listed hours.

No soup for you!
I just need a place that can sell me a set of brake pads or shift cables or a tire or replace a spoke or 5, etc., etc., etc. before a big ride between the time I lube my chain at midnight and shuttle departure at 6am. @mtnbikej and @rossage , what time is last call!? if I were to knock on your door(s) at 2 am, would you be my saviors?

I just need a place that can sell me a set of brake pads or shift cables or a tire or replace a spoke or 5, etc., etc., etc. before a big ride between the time I lube my chain at midnight and shuttle departure at 6am. @mtnbikej and @rossage , what time is last call!? if I were to knock on your door(s) at 2 am, would you be my saviors?

I'm sorry. You have not entered your information into the kiosk properly.
Please try again or snailmail your request to our corporate offices in the Bahamas.

Wow they are everywhere. I ran into them in NYC!

(Actually, I don't know who they are. Can you give us some context? Mt. biking? Music? Personal friends? Basketball team? IMTB members?)

2 of the top American Ninja Warriors. Guy on the right Daniel Gil only 4th person ever to complete the entire season, lost to Drew Dressel who beat him out by a few seconds on a 75ft rope climb after a total 6 ridiculous stages. Check it out if you have never seen.

The other "The Kid" just wow...

So in short 2 of the most amazing "modern / non traditional " athletes... Think X games

It's mix of obstacle, parkour, climbing balance strength etc...

Not to mention there are some amazing bodies out there and some funny and truly inspirational stories.

One of my favorite shows....well along with Holey Moly.. which is completely different.

https://abc.go.com/shows/holey-moley

Last edited:
2 of the top American Ninja Warriors. Guy on the right Daniel Gil only 4th person ever to complete the entire season, lost to Drew Dressel who beat him out by a few seconds on a 75ft rope climb after a total 6 ridiculous stages. Check it out if you have never seen.

The other "The Kid" just wow...

So in short 2 of the most amazing "modern / non traditional " athletes... Think X games

It's mix of obstacle, parkour, climbing balance strength etc...

Not to mention there are some amazing bodies out there and some funny and truly inspirational stories.

One of my favorite shows....well along with Holey Moly.. which is completely different.

https://abc.go.com/shows/holey-moley
I should have guessed that. My family loves that show and we watch and cheer all the time. Didn't recognize them in their street clothes.

Back