Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted the results because they exhibited extreme communicability of the virus. Also, there seem to be individuals who are "naturally immune" to some diseases (there was a study that showed some people were immune to the Black Plague; interestingly, their ancestors were immune to AIDS - PBS program, AIR), and I'm interested in whether this is the situation with corona.

Whoa, you're not riding out there? That's tragic.

Yeah, my bikes are gathering dust in SoCal. 90% of my worldly possessions are still in my old house. We moved across the country with what we could fit in a U-Haul 5x8 trailer. 3 dogs in the back of the SUV, with my daughter in the middle seat and my wife and I in the front.

In our county in NC, there have been 132 confirmed cases of Covid-19, and 72 cases have recovered, so we have 60 active confirmed cases. 4 deaths in total... all with pre-existing conditions (according to the local news). When you have case counts that low, it is much easier to track contacts, etc. It is just a different world and can't really be compared to SoCal... or places like NYC with high density and mass transit.

This weekend they are opening up all the parks... and I won't have a bike :( I ordered some trail running shoes, and because of Amazon re-prioritizing shipments, they took ten days to arrive(!) First world problems. I am making up for it with hard manual labor... pushing a wheelbarrow around in our yard full of heavy crap.

Yeah, my bikes are gathering dust in SoCal. 90% of my worldly possessions are still in my old house. We moved across the country with what we could fit in a U-Haul 5x8 trailer. 3 dogs in the back of the SUV, with my daughter in the middle seat and my wife and I in the front.

In our county in NC, there have been 132 confirmed cases of Covid-19, and 72 cases have recovered, so we have 60 active confirmed cases. 4 deaths in total... all with pre-existing conditions (according to the local news). When you have case counts that low, it is much easier to track contacts, etc. It is just a different world and can't really be compared to SoCal... or places like NYC with high density and mass transit.

This weekend they are opening up all the parks... and I won't have a bike :( I ordered some trail running shoes, and because of Amazon re-prioritizing shipments, they took ten days to arrive(!) First world problems.
Well, when are you returning to get more of your stuff?

Well, when are you returning to get more of your stuff?

We don't know. We thought we had sold our house back in early March... but the buyers backed out due to coronavirus concerns. The original plan was to have moved by now... but we can't sell an empty house with no furniture in it. So we are living in this house in NC, which our plan is tear down, and I am not kidding you we have two chaise lounge chairs in our living room for furniture. We bought some portable buffet tables on Craigslist and put them in the dining room for our computers, and the room looks like a CIA setup because we have two people working from home as well as my own personal setup.

Suffice it to say we are in a "wait and see" state for the moment, but I truly consider myself blessed. I am healthy. My family is healthy. We are together in a safe location. We are fortunate that we have the resources to get through this. I worry less about myself, than about everyone else. I am concerned about the toll this is taking on others...

We don't know. We thought we had sold our house back in early March... but the buyers backed out due to coronavirus concerns. The original plan was to have moved by now... but we can't sell an empty house with no furniture in it. So we are living in this house in NC, which our plan is tear down, and I am not kidding you we have two chaise lounge chairs in our living room for furniture. We bought some portable buffet tables on Craigslist and put them in the dining room for our computers, and the room looks like a CIA setup because we have two people working from home as well as my own personal setup.

Suffice it to say we are in a "wait and see" state for the moment, but I truly consider myself blessed. I am healthy. My family is healthy. We are together in a safe location. We are fortunate that we have the resources to get through this. I worry less about myself, than about everyone else. I am concerned about the toll this is taking on others...
I dig your positive attitude.

More useless statistics:

It was hot in Orange County today. But not relative to some other years.

It was not as hot in the northeasterly-ish regions of the country. But warmer than some.

It was something else elsewhere.

And that, my friends, explains all.

You are a lot snarkier online than in real life :)

I do real-life snark in spades upon sufficient provocation.

For instance:

Tell me you're going to make me look slow on a climb. I'll just roll my eyes and say "duh."

Tell me the government is smart enough to track you, I'll laugh and tell you they'll hire Microsoft and Apple to do it.

Et cetera.

Last edited:
FWIW, a suggestion from one of my friends who is a doctor in SoCal:

By the way, did I ever tell you to take vitamin D3. You need to. It help prevent the worst symptoms of respiratory illnesses including this Covid19. It won't prevent you from catching the virus in the first place but it will modulate your immune system to prevent the exaggerated immune reaction that triggers the deadly respiratory distress illness (ARDS). Take some now if you have not been taking it already. In general, one just need to take 5000 units daily for 4 weeks in the fall and winter (one gel capsule a day) . Avoid the other multivitamins. Take just the vitamin D. Studies have shown that patients who suffered the worst symptoms of the flus and Covid19 all have vitamin D deficiency. Stay safe.

I do real-life snark in spades upon sufficient provocation.

For instance:

Tell me you're going to make me look slow on a climb. I'll just roll my eyes and say "duh."

Tell me the government is smart enough to track you, I'll laugh and tell you they'll hire Microsoft and Apple to do it.

Et cetera.

Apologies. No virus related musings in the following post.

I know you don't pay attention to the geekier side of software, but Microsoft, and to a lesser extent Apple, have been dogged by rumors for years that there is an NSA backdoor built into their operating systems.

If you can't see the source code, you have no idea what's in your software... If you truly want to be sure no one has the ability to watch, you need to roll your own. I used to... Before I got too lazy. :p

FWIW, a suggestion from one of my friends who is a doctor in SoCal:

By the way, did I ever tell you to take vitamin D3. You need to. It help prevent the worst symptoms of respiratory illnesses including this Covid19. It won't prevent you from catching the virus in the first place but it will modulate your immune system to prevent the exaggerated immune reaction that triggers the deadly respiratory distress illness (ARDS). Take some now if you have not been taking it already. In general, one just need to take 5000 units daily for 4 weeks in the fall and winter (one gel capsule a day) . Avoid the other multivitamins. Take just the vitamin D. Studies have shown that patients who suffered the worst symptoms of the flus and Covid19 all have vitamin D deficiency. Stay safe.
Are mountain bikers not included in those who are considered to be outdoor active and therefore, have sufficient Vitamin D levels?

I read online that being out in the sun for just 30 minutes supplies twice the minimum daily need.

I read online that being out in the sun for just 30 minutes supplies twice the minimum daily need.

I have no idea - just passing on what he sent me. I would think that mountain bikers belong to the "low-risk" group, but there are always exceptions. If you work during the day in an office or facility without access to sunlight and bike in the evening or at night, you may not be getting enough. I know my son, who lives in Boston, works in an office and his only cardio during the winter/spring is in a gym. I've known my buddy for over ten years, so if he tells me there are reasons to take vitamin D3, I'm taking it :) It's the first time he has ever offered medical advice to me.

Last edited:
I have no idea - just passing on what he sent me. I would think that mountain bikers belong to the "low-risk" group, but there are always exceptions. If you get out during the full sun, I think you'd be set. But if you work during the day in an office or facility without access to sunlight and bike in the evening or at night, maybe not. I know my son, who lives in Boston, works in an office and his only cardio during the winter/spring is in a gym. I've known my buddy for over ten years, so if he tells me there are reasons to take vitamin D3, I'm taking it :) It's the first time he has ever offered medical advice to me.
Being somewhat of a lighting expert, I can tell you that you do not have to be in direct sunlight to receive the benefits of UV. It's the invisible light (ultra-violet) from the sun that benefits us. So being out on a cloudy day is good as well, even though the clouds will filter the UV to a degree. Having sunlight or it's direct brightness coming in through a window is beneficial, as well. Basically, being outdoors any time the sun is in the sky, no matter how high or low it is or how clear or cloudy it is, is beneficial. So get out there every day and go for a walk, if not a ride.

Are mountain bikers not included in those who are considered to be outdoor active and therefore, have sufficient Vitamin D levels?

Depending on your ancestry you may not process Vitamin D from sun exposure like others, and you need to get it through food (or supplementation). Those of Northern European descent are particularly susceptible, from what I can remember. I was surprised a couple years back to find out that I had a slight vitamin D deficiency despite spending a decent amount of time in the sun. All the sunblock what we now need to use prevents some vitamin D absorption as well.

Being somewhat of a lighting expert, I can tell you that you do not have to be in direct sunlight to receive the benefits of UV. It's the invisible light (ultra-violet) from the sun that benefits us. So being out on a cloudy day is good as well, even though the clouds will filter the UV to a degree. Having sunlight or it's direct brightness coming in through a window is beneficial, as well. Basically, being outdoors any time the sun is in the sky, no matter how high or low it is or how clear or cloudy it is, is beneficial. So get out there every day and go for a walk, if not a ride.

I’ve actually had to look into this lately and the location you live in as well as the time of day absolutely has an impact on how much vitamin D you absorb, also skin tone is a big factor. So maybe it is still beneficial if you are getting a little bit during earlier/later parts of the day, being out when the sun is at it’s high point is the most efficient. Someone who can only get out say after 6pm while there is still sunlight this time of year is not getting much vitamin D benefits at that time.

Many factors affect how much vitamin D a person gets from the sun, such as:

• Time of day. The skin produces more vitamin D when in the sun during the middle of the day, the time it is at its highest point in the sky. When spending prolonged time in the hot sun, wear sunscreen, and stay hydrated.
  • Amount of skin exposed. The more skin a person exposes, the more vitamin D the body will make. Exposing the back, for instance, allows the body to produce more vitamin D than just the hands and face.
  • Skin color. Pale color skin makes vitamin D more quickly than darker colored skins.
Where a person lives in relation to the equator also has a significant impact on how much vitamin D their bodies can make.

In the United States, people in the sunnier southern states will find it easier to meet their vitamin D needs with sun exposure than those in the northern states. This is especially true in the winter months when the sun is lower in the sky.

- https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326167#tips

Depending on your ancestry you may not process Vitamin D from sun exposure like others, and you need to get it through food (or supplementation). Those of Northern European descent are particularly susceptible, from what I can remember. I was surprised a couple years back to find out that I had a slight vitamin D deficiency despite spending a decent amount of time in the sun. All the sunblock what we now need to use prevents some vitamin D absorption as well.
I’ve actually had to look into this lately and the location you live in as well as the time of day absolutely has an impact on how much vitamin D you absorb, also skin tone is a big factor. So maybe it is still beneficial if you are getting a little bit during earlier/later parts of the day, being out when the sun is at it’s high point is the most efficient. Someone who can only get out say after 6pm while there is still sunlight this time of year is not getting much vitamin D benefits at that time.

Many factors affect how much vitamin D a person gets from the sun, such as:

• Time of day. The skin produces more vitamin D when in the sun during the middle of the day, the time it is at its highest point in the sky. When spending prolonged time in the hot sun, wear sunscreen, and stay hydrated.
  • Amount of skin exposed. The more skin a person exposes, the more vitamin D the body will make. Exposing the back, for instance, allows the body to produce more vitamin D than just the hands and face.
  • Skin color. Pale color skin makes vitamin D more quickly than darker colored skins.
Where a person lives in relation to the equator also has a significant impact on how much vitamin D their bodies can make.

In the United States, people in the sunnier southern states will find it easier to meet their vitamin D needs with sun exposure than those in the northern states. This is especially true in the winter months when the sun is lower in the sky.

- https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326167#tips
Thanks for taking it a step further.

Other side of the coin (especially if you have blue eyes) is those nasty skin problems that have to be excised. I get a full body scan every four to six months and still need to have "imperfections" taken off by freezing and occasionally a more invasive procedure to remove a chunk of skin. Hey, it's fun to make up stories for the scars.

Other side of the coin (especially if you have blue eyes) is those nasty skin problems that have to be excised. I get a full body scan every four to six months and still need to have "imperfections" taken off by freezing and occasionally a more invasive procedure to remove a chunk of skin. Hey, it's fun to make up stories for the scars.

I know all too well. I’ve had four procedures that required stitches in the past 5 months and countless more over the years. To top it off my biological I am on for arthritis makes me more susceptible to melanoma.

Good thing for my insurance because I’ve incurred over $22k so far this year which I’ve only paid a fraction of out of pocket.

Capture (46).JPG

Capture (47).JPG

You not only need sun exposure but a good portion of your skin needs to be exposed...i think if you have a helmet on, sunglasses/goggles, , Long sleeve jersey, bandana, long shorts, knee pads, sunscreen, you won’t be making much vitamin d from sun exposure when out riding.
Then balance that with skin cancer risk...
Your skin uses that UV to convert cholesterol into vitamin D. So if you have very low cholesterol that could also inhibit. But that’s quite rare.

You not only need sun exposure but a good portion of your skin needs to be exposed...i think if you have a helmet on, sunglasses/goggles, , Long sleeve jersey, bandana, long shorts, knee pads, sunscreen, you won’t be making much vitamin d from sun exposure when out riding.
Then balance that with skin cancer risk...
Your skin uses that UV to convert cholesterol into vitamin D. So if you have very low cholesterol that could also inhibit. But that’s quite rare.
And not only that you need freedom freedom freedom to get your vitamin D! How can you get your vitamin D if you don’t have your freedom?????

Sunscreen is known to cause cancer and so is the sun. Do I wanna develop cancer caused by sunscreen or cancer caused by the sun?

Legal disclosure: Those who have skin issues are exempt.

Furthermore, if I wear sunscreen, I am limiting the effect the sun has on COVID-19.

This world is a freakin' mess!!! :laugh::Roflmao

Last edited:
Sunscreen is known to cause cancer and so is the sun. Do I wanna develop cancer caused by sunscreen or cancer caused by the sun?

Legal disclosure: Those who have skin issues are exempt.

Furthermore, if I wear sunscreen, I am limiting the effect the sun has on COVID-19.

This world is a freakin' mess!!! :laugh::Roflmao
Mineral-based sunscreen (zinc oxide, what I use) is not known to cause cancer...

Waco, Jonestown

if you’re willing to die for your right to walk on the beach during a global pandemic, I don’t have any words that would convince you otherwise. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t even convince you of something obvious to the most casual observer—the Floop isn’t a real mountain bike trail, and everybody knows it...

Forgot about this...feel free to go back and check. Randy Weaver (Ruby Ridge, not Waco) was acquitted, because the government overstepped its authority. People don't like to be reminded of this for some reason.

And I am intimately aware of what my enlistment oath bound me to. You might want to recognize leaving the military doesn't undo the oath. You might also want to read it carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back