Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you guys ran off and did a bunch of typing without me...

one point in herd immunity-it’s not one number. The 50-70% figures people talk about assume zero countermeasures, not even extra hand washing. Full compliance with everything we’ve been told to do brings the herd immunity number down to zero percent. Where the only way for a community to get the disease is for it to be brought in from outside.

Hand washing is only a little effective, it basically slows things down and reduces the herd % a tiny bit. a full-compliance global lockdown drives the germ to extinction in two weeks. We’re gonna be in the middle somewhere...

Im guessing chicken pox would kill a lot of 80 year olds too, good thing they got it 70 years ago...
Now they just get to deal with shingles

I just watched the governors press conference. The leak yesterday was incorrect, he is just hard closing OC beaches, and not all state parks. Check state parks sites tomorrow to see what’s affected.
images.jpeg

Let's start a cover band. We'll call ourselves Social Distancion.....

We can rewrite social distortion songs and make them about wearing masks, staying 6 feet apart, washing our hands, and on so on.....

We'll be a hit with the kids....
And by kids I mean the last cohorts of gen xers, and early wave of millennials......
The real kids will probably hate us

tumblr_5504f3e2f98bb7096aa93e2eacd9755f_7100f2a1_640.jpg

I just watched the governors press conference. The leak yesterday was incorrect, he is just hard closing OC beaches, and not all state parks. Check state parks sites tomorrow to see what’s affected.

It will be interesting to see if the county actually enforces the beach closures. Newport Beach has already hit back at him.

Someone posted on Facebook that Crystal Cove State Park will be closed again as of tomorrow. Not sure if that is accurate or not.

I don't think the numbers stress Bonsai... He geeks out on them.

I trust numbers. The problem is when people make decisions on no numbers... or bad numbers... or they think the numbers mean something other than what they mean.

Here's an easy math problem. How much worse do you think CoViD-19 is than seasonal flu? 2x? 10x? 50x? If you were King of this country, and had total control of the budget, how much would you spend to fight CoViD-19 compared to what you spend on treating one year of flu?

It's an interesting question because we are right now at about the same number of annual deaths (despite the existence of a seasonal flu vaccine). I think we all agree that CoViD-19 is going to exceed annual flu deaths, but how much worse is the disease?

In 1918, the federal government stated openly that the general public was too stupid to understand written hygiene guidelines. So... they commissioned artists to make posters.

Social media is stepping up this time around. Even with the typo, it's golden.

95260009_10158533867284759_3800213855506792448_n.jpg

Last edited:
The different angles and perspectives here are both maddening and hilarious at the same time.

I see that this thread is going nowhere, even after nearly 50 pages. It's a vicious circle, a cyclonic mess, if you will.

So I have only one question to ask everyone who is dug in deeply here, and the lurkers and periodic posters need not reply:

Which one of you is 100% correct?

The different angles and perspectives here are both maddening and hilarious at the same time.

I see that this thread is going nowhere, even after nearly 50 pages. It's a vicious circle, a cyclonic mess, if you will.

So I have only one question to ask everyone who is dug in deeply here, and the lurkers and periodic posters need not reply:

Which one of you is 100% correct?

Here's an easy math problem. How much worse do you think CoViD-19 is than seasonal flu? 2x? 10x? 50x? If you were King of this country, and had total control of the budget, how much would you spend to fight CoViD-19 compared to what you spend on treating one year of flu?

It's an interesting question because we are right now at about the same number of annual deaths (despite the existence of a seasonal flu vaccine). I think we all agree that CoViD-19 is going to exceed annual flu deaths, but how much worse is the disease?

The reason why I asked this question was simple...

You better think that CoViD-19 is 100x worse than seasonal flu, because we've spent somewhere in that neighborhood as much (so far). I don't know that we'll ever get a final reckoning, because the government is spending like drunken pirates on a weekend bender, and the impact of their pronouncements will have ripple effects for years, but it is easily 100x as much and will probably be more as more businesses close and more people lose jobs that will never be replaced.

Direct Annual Cost of Seasonal Flu

Last edited:
So that means you know what they mean.

Not always, but many times. I highly recommend a master's degree in marketing research and statistical modeling. I find it quite useful. But here's the kicker... you would probably understand them too if you took the time to look at the source material that the media is quoting. And your job isn't to "create headlines" that drive revenues.

Suffice it to say that some percentage of the news is based on the media not understanding what they are reading. And then some percentage of people who hear the news exaggerate what they hear. And then we end up with statements like "this disease kills the majority of seniors it affects".

Last edited:
Crystal cove/el Moro trails are now closed until further notice. As well as all the OC county beaches. So far chino hills still open (but not parking or vehicle access) I can’t believe they’d close that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back