Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Wait a minute... were you in the military? :)

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Tongue in cheek or not, that was probably not one of the smarter statements you've made.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've got 19 years with one myself. Luckily the area in which I work is mostly apolitical and mostly not subject to the vagaries of the individual council critters. Mostly.

kazlx and Mikie like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I stand behind it. Because I WAS in the military.

kazlx, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So was I. Which I why I said what I said.

You don't operate a carrier battle group with a crew of dolts and no loads. On average. I won't deny there are some, but they are not all that common. At least where and when I served.

BonsaiNut, kazlx, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Oh I know the actual rate is unknown. Still interesting to see comparisons between nations or states.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  7. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Interesting information: NY tested 15,000 individuals randomly sampled from grocery stores and community centers (however random a grouping that is) for COVID antibody and 12.3% were positive. Reported in the North Salem local rag today (my cousin resides there). The governor had an astute (to me) statement. He said something like "Just because we're in uncharted waters doesn't mean we proceed blindly" (could have helped me immensely when I started chasing women).

Stkx66, Mikie, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    January was when I was sick and took a day off work. Started with the 2 year old from a bounce house party of extended relatives, and it proliferated the nuclear family. No idea what it was, but it’d be cool to have had it and not suffer too much. So far I shouldn’t complain.

9. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I think of some coworkers, and just can’t imagine having to go to war with them watching each other’s back.

Sassyquatch, kazlx and Mikie like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It's probably best you will never need to find out. An all-volunteer force is superior and preferable to a conscript military. Thank your prescient congresscritters that did away with the draft.:thumbsup:

If you don't understand that sentiment, well, I don't really give a Sh!t.

Stkx66, Sassyquatch, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Makes sense. The people who want to or intend to be there would be expected to perform better.

Stkx66, Sassyquatch, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Sssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I’ll bet that this jerk was claiming that he parked this way to practice social distancing. :rolleyes:

3AF7FDBD-30B6-45DD-A2BB-8FF6271D23C7.jpeg

13. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I drove through Santiago Canyon today from LF to Orange.
    I could not believe how many cars were parked along the road.
    A bunch near Modjeska Grade, OK - do the Luge or go into Whoring.
    A lot of the canyon had new no parking signs. Where there weren't any t hete where lots of cars. Lots of people walking. Where were they going? Did they realize it was a 4 mile walk just to get to the Blackstar entrance?
    Just crazy!

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Navy might be different from the Army. We had a majority of people who knew what they were doing and had a decent work ethic. But we also had some real nuts - who were borderline worthless. Guys who would do drugs, even though they knew they were going to get caught. I saw one guy try to commit suicide by slamming his head into a concrete block wall. One guy didn't show up for duty... and we found out later that he passed out in a whore house and they didn't realize he was there when they locked up for the night - so he was locked into the whore house until the cleaning crew showed up at 11 AM (he was due on duty at 5 AM). But the crazy behavior wasn't limited to the enlisted guys, and let's leave it at that :)

All the parks are closed here in NC... but the lakes and public boat launches are still open. You wouldn't imagine the lake traffic. If it floats - yesterday it was out in the lake with someone on it :)

Sassyquatch and Mikie like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Sassyquatch, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    We can sensationalize this all we want, but the facts remain the facts...
    Yeah, the article is from 9 weeks ago. But still relevant... a bad Flu season.
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

This chart is from the CDC 4/14/2020. You might react, yeah but we have surpassed the flu in so many days. My response would be how else would society react to a new strain of the flu.

I”m not trying to piss anyone off. I just don’t think this is/was something to crash our economy over.

As some have requested, what is the clear path for reopening?

• Social distancing
    • Masks
    • Washing hands regularly
    • Not touching your face
    • Gloves
    • Common sense
    • Not punishing the masses for the acts of a few
    Nothing we should not have been doing with the flu we have been surviving with for the last couple centuries.
    7CCCE45F-8502-4E56-AE9A-AA4CF217D259.jpeg

Flame on...

kazlx, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You can't troll me. I'm getting new dirt today. :stop:

I will once again recommend the Wall Street Journal article comparing costs of treatment. There are others, but that is the one with the most coherent argument that I've seen. Well, next to the Babylon Bee, anyway. Hard to beat that one. :p

New dirt time!

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Sssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Everyone has valid points that I agree with. But the fact remains that people are spreading it around without even knowing that they are infected and some of those people they infect are those that would otherwise not be infected because common sense with any illness is to stay away from the masses and get well, are dying. This one thing changes everything else.

Stkx66, Faust29, Sassyquatch and 2 others like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Oh you’re catching on. Riding your bike confirms my theory. Bike on! And good on you for being one not to take the bait! Cuz I always go to the Wall Street Journal for my pandemic advise. :rolleyes::p

Stkx66, Faust29, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yeah... kinda like the flu... huh? :thumbsup:

Robbie and pperrelle like this.
  21. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Too funny:Roflmao:Roflmao. Way to break up the discussion with some humor!!

Stkx66, Mikie, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  22. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Thanks for posting, great analysis of our situation.

Mikie, pperrelle and BonsaiNut like this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Visited my sister in Big Bear yesterday. She works at a large LA county hospital, so I asked her if this covid is as bad as they say.
    All she would really say is that " I do the hospital mortality reports, and yes, its bad".
    And "A 30 y.o. patient with no other conditions died from it this week. So be careful".

Stkx66, Oaken, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  24. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    There’s also those few people that are deathly allergic to peanuts, or bee stings or any other number of things. I get that it’s a bit of false equivalency being a virus, transmission without knowing, etc, but outlier cases don’t represent the majority.

We are getting to the point where people should know and understand the risks and be able to make their own decisions. If you still want to hide in your house, order stuff online and live in fear everyday, that’s your choice, just like it is everyday.

HBkites, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  25. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The chart goes over the same territory we just spent 5 pages discussing. So you aren’t paying attention.

But just for fun, assume the two death tallies were based on the same accounting techniques. The numbers are 2 weeks old and totally out of date. How many more weeks until it’s real to you?

I’m not saying this for you, Mikie. I’m pretty sure you’d have to have a close friend die before you took this seriously.

AM radio is great if you enjoy a good narcocorrido, but there’s nothing in English but misinformed jibber jabber.

Mikie, it’s time we shut this thread down before you spread any more disinformation. So here’s my attempt to get political. Bush 43 put out a beautiful message of unity, all Trump cares about is how Bush didn’t stick up for him in the impeachment. I know you like this president a lot. He likes himself a lot too. I’m not sure he’s had a thought about the rest of us this whole time.

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I won't address the problem with equating this to the seasonal flu. No one who is making that argument is listening anyway.

I will say thank you for some of your preventive measures, so let me push on the first one. Social Distancing. If you are advocating a complete return to our full economic activity, I assume you mean travel, conventions, concerts, movies, sporting events, schools, whatever it is they do in Vegas, whatever NASCAR is, etc. If those portions of the economy (and services) remain clamped down, it will still be economically devastating for a massive portion of companies and individuals in those industries and related services.

So...what gets re-opened, and what remains restricted? What do the restrictions look like, if any? Or is it just up to our individual choice as to whether we attend these events? What if your work requires you to travel and attend a convention? Still your choice, I guess.

Will individual choice be sufficient to protect all? Start with schools please. Because if schools are still closed, parents have to stay at home.

Oaken, Mikie, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  27. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    Very well done article IMO!

BonsaiNut, Mikie and scan like this.
  28. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    This is already the situation. There's quite a bit open that isn't 'essential' to sustaining people. It's still an arbitrary lockdown no matter which way you slice it. People can't get a hair cut, but I can get on a plane without a valid reason and go anywhere they fly for the most part. Home Depot is open, they don't care if you are fixing a roof leak from the rain or redoing your lawn because you're off for a month. Seems a little arbitrary. How much longer do we stifle people's ability to provide for themselves and their families? May isn't going to go well in Orange County.

HBkites, Oaken, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  29. Robbie

Robbie Guest

619877D8-B82F-4F53-8B3D-7598A7E6050A.jpeg

Mikie, Old&InTheWay and pperrelle like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You are describing the current situation. Take a stab at the questions I asked, unless your answer is to simply throw everything open as it was in early March and say "never mind - just kidding - my bad."

So...what gets re-opened, and what remains restricted? What do the restrictions look like, if any? Or is it just up to our individual choice as to whether we attend these events? What if your work requires you to travel and attend a convention? Still your choice, I guess.

Will individual choice be sufficient to protect all? Start with schools please. Because if schools are still closed, parents have to stay at home.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.