Wrightwood… Wait? What? Nope! Meet at Newcome Ranch!

Well I guess I’m out for this, wherever it takes place. Kind of a double whammy, I’ll be attending a memorial service for a longtime family friend on Saturday and I’ve also been dealing with a bout of pleurisy. I’ve dealt with pleurisy a couple times in the past and it’s always resolved itself within a few days but I’m probably 3 weeks in this time and it’s only somewhat better.
Bummer Voodoo, healing Vibes buddy.

This ride was more Epic than originally thought to be....

1727028839081.png

Attachments

• WWEpic.jpg
    WWEpic.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 18
Given all of my prep work for this ride (my one ride yesterday), I may bow out - or just come for the post ride Bro-fest (which used to include at least a couple of amazing women as well). But all of that depends on where this alleged ride will actually take place.

The LA Times has an article that lists the 25 trails that burned. One of them Is the Boy Scout loop. Most of the others were in the vicinity of Inspiration point, Vincent Gap, Pine mountain via Acorn trail and Grassy Hollow . There is a 12 mi. stretch of the SOT that is burned also.
Log Jammer probably toasted too.

We arrived in California yesterday afternoon.
Getting caught up on all of this and I am so very sad about Wrightwood.
I also apologize for the “Where we riding” dilemma. I have been so fixated on Wrightwood, I have had a hard time visualizing riding somewhere else.

I have so many “favorites” it’s hard to pick the one perfect ride in Cali while I’m out here. It would be great to get in a sweet long descent trail as they just don’t have the mountains to provide that in Arkansas.

We still have time to decide.
Do I dare say pick a place you all can agree on and I’ll show up? Let the trail wars begin! :laugh:

re: Lowe

Temps at Loma Alta & Lake will be 81F, temps at Eaton Saddle 73F, very pleasant. I propose we send an advance shuttle party up to fill themselves with beer while they await the climbers in the group. Thus they will gain the descending advantage with improved center of gravity, while we, the climbers just won't care because...endorphins... :geek:

If Straberry is it we can park at Switzers and put stuff on a picnic table to bbq with shade. Should be cooler up there vs Mt. Lowe. Just a thought. The climbing is a bit less strenuous there also.
If looking for a more of a cruiser climb and good descent Golden eagle is more of a better option. Not sure if some want to suffer up mt. Lowe or strawberry. These are way better dh though.

Last edited:
The LA Times has an article that lists the 25 trails that burned. One of them Is the Boy Scout loop. Most of the others were in the vicinity of Inspiration point, Vincent Gap, Pine mountain via Acorn trail and Grassy Hollow . There is a 12 mi. stretch of the SOT that is burned also.
Its my understanding that Chanty Flats (burned in the Bobcat fire a few years back) is about to open (Oct 1, 2024). It will be nice to have something else to ride around my region.

I'm supposed to be working up in Wrightwood some time this week. Hopefully they open Big Pines road and I can get eyes on and see what it looks like. I have heard that the burn areas still have some green.
From what I’m reading it looks like Big Pines road is part of the closure until the end of the year. Will be open to local residents and authorized people only.
So much for me getting a look at the area.
On hold for now.

View attachment 95011
All the BB trails on the south side of the lake appear to be closed, per the above Forest Order. This sucks!
Yes, that's what my local bud in BB says, Skyline is closed. Furthermore, a part of it got demolished by earth movers who were building fire breaks.

Skyline is 100% within the closure map boundaries.

EDIT: I'm told that there is a hefty fine if caught.

Implement PLAN B...

Last edited:
Back