Who's Riding Where???

Massive wildfires across the state putting a huge strain on emergency personnel and resources. Extreme heat putting further strain on an already stressed emergency response system. Plus risk of more fires. Someone dead (am I reading right that they were participating in a race that someone decides to hold in this heat?), which means emergency personnel are forced to respond in this heat. And you wonder why they decide to close the trails? You whiners complaining about closed trails, I suppose you’d be cool with emergency personnel not responding to distress calls when a certain threshold (ie temps over 100 or something) is met?

Massive wildfires across the state putting a huge strain on emergency personnel and resources. Extreme heat putting further strain on an already stressed emergency response system. Plus risk of more fires. Someone dead (am I reading right that they were participating in a race that someone decides to hold in this heat?), which means emergency personnel are forced to respond in this heat. And you wonder why they decide to close the trails? You whiners complaining about closed trails, I suppose you’d be cool with emergency personnel not responding to distress calls when a certain threshold (ie temps over 100 or something) is met?
Ive always thought parks and trails should be closed during extreme fire weather, to lessen the fire risk and protect emergency personell. Who wants to ride or hike in that Sh!t anyway

Like I said, today is extreme and I can more or less understand. Tomorrow is hot, but not extreme, especially in the morning. Full closure all weekend seems like a broad stroke, and somewhat unprecedented. It's the trend that bothers me. Plus, I imagine the folks who would actually require saving in these conditions are just going to go do something else ill-advised.

Like I said, today is extreme and I can more or less understand. Tomorrow is hot, but not extreme, especially in the morning. Full closure all weekend seems like a broad stroke, and somewhat unprecedented. It's the trend that bothers me. Plus, I imagine the folks who would actually require saving in these conditions are just going to go do something else ill-advised.
Imagine it from the emergency response perspective instead of your own?

hint: your local emergency personnel is probably already stretched thin as they’ve most likely sent personnel to help fight fires in other parts of the state. So what happens if a fire starts in the Santa Monicas...

Keep in mind that tomorrow is a holiday....and like most holidays, people venture outside(yes, even more "inside" people) head out. If this were a normal Monday, perhaps it might stay open. I've seen it enough at our local parks, on holidays....people on the trails that venture too far away from the family picnic.

Ive always thought parks and trails should be closed during extreme fire weather, to lessen the fire risk and protect emergency personell. Who wants to ride or hike in that Sh!t anyway
5EA382A4-FCC3-418D-8806-C5EF9694A97D.jpeg

We must all remember that we are in a pandemic here. The closure for the entire holiday weekend is surely connected.

I got up this morning with optimism. Had a cup of coffee, ate breakfast checked the temp for Wrightwood? Sweet! I can get a quicky 0n Boy Scout that’s all I need. Oh wait, I better check the air quality in Wrightwood, really it says good, l’ll get ready! Looked here and saw @mike had posted the smoke plume was heading NW? Fack! Walked outside in Acton, SMOKE! Fack! Got ready anyway, looked deep for more desperate optimism! Found it, out the door to the edge of Palmdale to scope Wrightwood. Fack!!!!!
On the way home realizing the new fire would take out riding for at least two weeks! And what other fires WILL do the same! Something more north to take out all riding. Optimism crushed by reality.
I think it’s right to close the trails, because it is simply unbearable to do anything here in this hell hole! Can’t go to the beach either due to ridiculous crowds!
I have never in my life felt so oppressed at every turn than I do today. It won’t be soon enough to leave this scorched waste land! My sights have been turned to the little town of McCall Idaho with 3,0oo people. Won’t be scouting it till next year though. :( With the emergency our country is facing this plan may not even happen? :( Fack!

Last edited:
It’s my f@cking Labor Day goshdammit! And everything is getting ruined directly by the gender reveal party and indirectly by global warming. The worst part is with any legitimate consequence against the perpetrators, the poor child is born at a disadvantage, and there’s always a chance to redefine its gender when it grows up.

It’s my f@cking Labor Day goshdammit! And everything is getting ruined directly by the gender reveal party and indirectly by global warming. The worst part is with any legitimate consequence against the perpetrators, the poor child is born at a disadvantage, and there’s always a chance to redefine its gender when it grows up.

Well... With no ride possibility, I decided to drown my sorrows in a bag full of carbs and a cafe con leche from Portos. I had to hose the ash off the wife's car first, though. Driving back on the 134 and looking up at the mountains was pretty depressing. :(

I could see a couple planes circling, but it looked like the whole mountain range was behind a wall of smoke and ash. :(

Back