The coffee lover thread

This is our 3rd Breville grind and brew in 10 years. I picked this one up off of Amazon for $254.00. We had a Cuisinart plastic model as our first grind and brew. The Breville is quieter than the Cuisinart when grinding beans but... in our small house with tile floors makes for a great alarm clock. Hard to sleep through this baby. We buy 5 lb bags of whole beans through Amazon which lasts 30 days. Generally we run one pot a day for the 4 of us ( Actually 3 of us ) DWL doesn't drink coffee. So... $1.00- 1.50 a day in cost for 3 of us to get 2 smallish cups each of joe a day- ( plus the cost of the coffee pot )

A4791AA4-0B66-4DC8-82BC-C8C1592EC7B7.jpeg

AD932522-6AB6-4762-9FC6-E2194D0D4A8C.jpeg

3E42531D-F1B3-42D5-A296-AC4A65AC581E.jpeg

Last edited:
Does the pot sit on a heating element? I have a thermal pot, no element, and I preheat the pot with hot water before using it.
It gets pretty cold soaked in the winter. Maybe its mental, but I think it helps..

Wow... The coffee thread has been dormant. :eek:

I've had this one before, but have been back using Lavazza for the last few months. This one reminds me of Florida afternoon coffee with the moka pot and a few like minded friends. :inlove: I generally make it as a double shot and drink it straight, although the occasional cafe con leche does hit the spot.

My wife says it smells and tastes like gym socks...

mayorga-organics-cafe-cubano-finemedium-grind-2-lb_AVmqhSYNDk.jpeg

I like the name... :Roflmao I've never had that one. Most of my Puerto Rican friends drank either Pilon or Bustelo, both of which I go back to every now and then. :inlove:
The coffee was actually pretty good! I saw it at the airport in San Juan and I had to have it! I asked my mother-in-law (she's Puerto Rican) to read me the name because I don't speak Spanish....thought she was going to slap me (joking lol, she laughed too).....and, yeah, my "go-to" is Bustelo.....

upload_2022-12-27_16-4-16.jpeg
Has anyone ever used or heard anything good about porous ceramic filters? I have a chance to purchase one but held back for more research instead of an impulse buy. This thread looks like a good place to ask.
It’s called a Cera Filter.
TiA!

upload_2022-12-27_16-4-16.jpeg

View attachment 86166 Has anyone ever used or heard anything good about porous ceramic filters? I have a chance to purchase one but held back for more research instead of an impulse buy. This thread looks like a good place to ask.
It’s called a Cera Filter.
TiA!

View attachment 86166

Nope... Nothing from me. A quick Google search shows that it's interesting enough to make me want one. I say go for it! :laugh:

My present pour over setup looks primitive in comparison. At Frog Hollow, the brew it produces seems magical, though.

stanley.jpg

I wouldn’t call it passionate but just ordered 40 lbs of coffee. Actually have downsized, used to have over 200 lbs on hand…
That’s crazy unless you own a restaurant or supply coffee for everyone at work!

And @SnakeCharmer I care more about my coffee than my chain lube, Although not nearly the level of connoisseurship as some of these Hooligans (for either chain lube or coffee).

Next up - beverage tumblers. I only use Yeti beverage tumblers - hot or cold!

(just kidding. But I do hate using mugs that have a dark paint inside. Can’t see my coffee!)

Nope... Nothing from me. A quick Google search shows that it's interesting enough to make me want one. I say go for it! :laugh:

My present pour over setup looks primitive in comparison. At Frog Hollow, the brew it produces seems magical, though.

View attachment 86167
I decided not to get it. It’s a waste of water when cleaning due to the micro pores in the ceramic and clogs up easy if not maintained properly. A novelty I would use for a month at best.
I too use Squirt.

Back