Midnight MTB

Well, we gave it a good effort. @DangerDirtyD made it to my house just after midnight, while we were sitting in the living room having a pre-ride beer my front tire started hissing out of nowhere.

I’d put fresh sealant in just a few hours earlier. I spun and shook the wheel up and it seemed to do the trick.

Off we went, passing the LBS in San Marino just around 1 AM, Dio noted the lights were on and the front door was open. He suggested we go over and bug them but I shrugged that off and we kept rolling to S. Pasadena. (We should’ve gone in for an extra tube)

after that, we hit the first little bit of trail through the arroyo before hopping on the paved arroyo bike path to Highland Park. Right as we got to the start of the trail my tire started hissing again and we stopped to throw a tube This was the first of three failed attempts to keep air in the tire.

In Highland Park, we started climbing up the fire road at Debs Park. If you haven't been to Ernest E. Debs Park, it's certainly not a destination for bikes but, the trails are nice for a hike and offer great views of DTLA and the surrounding neighborhoods along with a really lovely and shaded pond filled with turtles. (There are a few fun but short single tracks that don't seem to be official trails.)

The third and final flat happened right about the midway point in our ride. I went through 3 co2 cartridges trying to seat the tire with the little sealant it had left.

This was about the time Dio started brainstorming who to bug for an extraction run. It was just past 2 AM, cold, damp, a bit muddy.
I threw the towel in and called the kiddo to come grab us. He came down in his little Prius C and we stashed the bikes until we could get back to the house and grab my car with a rack.

All said and done, we ended up with a little over 7 miles and got back to my house just before 4 AM. No photos.
Well that sounds fun! o_O

Glad you made it out relatively unscathed.

Well, we gave it a good effort. @DangerDirtyD made it to my house just after midnight, while we were sitting in the living room having a pre-ride beer my front tire started hissing out of nowhere.

I’d put fresh sealant in just a few hours earlier. I spun and shook the wheel up and it seemed to do the trick.

Off we went, passing the LBS in San Marino just around 1 AM, Dio noted the lights were on and the front door was open. He suggested we go over and bug them but I shrugged that off and we kept rolling to S. Pasadena. (We should’ve gone in for an extra tube)

after that, we hit the first little bit of trail through the arroyo before hopping on the paved arroyo bike path to Highland Park. Right as we got to the start of the trail my tire started hissing again and we stopped to throw a tube This was the first of three failed attempts to keep air in the tire.

In Highland Park, we started climbing up the fire road at Debs Park. If you haven't been to Ernest E. Debs Park, it's certainly not a destination for bikes but, the trails are nice for a hike and offer great views of DTLA and the surrounding neighborhoods along with a really lovely and shaded pond filled with turtles. (There are a few fun but short single tracks that don't seem to be official trails.)

The third and final flat happened right about the midway point in our ride. I went through 3 co2 cartridges trying to seat the tire with the little sealant it had left.

This was about the time Dio started brainstorming who to bug for an extraction run. It was just past 2 AM, cold, damp, a bit muddy.
I threw the towel in and called the kiddo to come grab us. He came down in his little Prius C and we stashed the bikes until we could get back to the house and grab my car with a rack.

All said and done, we ended up with a little over 7 miles and got back to my house just before 4 AM. No photos.
Thanks Squatch for hosting me today! I enjoyed myself immensely even if the ride was cut short. Like I said at Debs Park, “better you than me!”

We’ve all been there, and at least we didn’t have Faustie smack talking the situation. I knew from the first 5 minutes this morning that it was gonna be a good day as soon as you handed me a choice of two IPAs to kick off the rendezvous. I’d like to give it another go.

I got a photo:
IMG_2964.jpeg

Thanks Squatch for hosting me today! I enjoyed myself immensely even if the ride was cut short. Like I said at Debs Park, “better you than me!”

We’ve all been there, and at least we didn’t have Faustie smack talking the situation. I knew from the first 5 minutes this morning that it was gonna be a good day as soon as you handed me a choice of two IPAs to kick off the rendezvous. I’d like to give it another go.

I got a photo: View attachment 91344
I say do over, I'm in for the next one if you two decide, it's fun riding I that area.

@-ROCKY2- : Wanna ride the night shift? @Sasquatch9billion @Fueledbyex8 : How about another east LA rendezvous this weekend? Friday or Saturday night...

Lol I remember Wolfee! Actually I AM interested in night riding, I was just thinking about that actually. If you ride with the mask I might freak out lol. Tell me about the ride, where, and how many miles?

@Sasquatch9billion I have spare lights for your helmet and bar. @Fueledbyex8 this Friday or Saturday night around 11pm. @-ROCKY2- It's 15-20 miles of partial asphalt and partial fire road and partial mild single track. One sustained fire road climb about 2 miles long and several hundred feet of gain. Most riders use gravel bikes, and I'll be riding a 26" XC hardtail with 1.5-1.75" street tires. It's a good chance to get back into the swing of riding, albeit at midnight. Mama wolf chained Papa Wolfie in her closet; chances of escape are very slim.

@Sasquatch9billion I have spare lights for your helmet and bar. @Fueledbyex8 this Friday or Saturday night around 11pm. @-ROCKY2- It's 15-20 miles of partial asphalt and partial fire road and partial mild single track. One sustained fire road climb about 2 miles long and several hundred feet of gain. Most riders use gravel bikes, and I'll be riding a 26" XC hardtail with 1.5-1.75" street tires. It's a good chance to get back into the swing of riding, albeit at midnight. Mama wolf chained Papa Wolfie in her closet; chances of escape are very slim.
Is this in LaVerne? Or by the Squach house?

Usually at midnight Saturday night I'm already snoring, tonight was different. Met @Sasquatch9billion and @DangerDirtyD at Trinidad home and by 12:30am. we was rolling towards San Marino, before we knew into S. Pasadena and onto to the Arroyo bike path. A steep fireroad into Debs park in Montecito Heights and we could see downtown L.A skyline.
20231203_012408.jpg

The boys where pumped up and enjoying the views!
20231203_012443.jpg

Continued on to the top of the park to show @DangerDirtyD the small pond, didn't get pics of the pond, but I did take other pics
20231203_013800.jpg

Think Trinidad was showing Dio his bike:laugh:

After doing some extra credit towards CalTech and looping around San Marino
we got back to Trinidad home, where he would prepare some late night munchies, quesadillas for me and Dio and some fresh brewed coffee Dio was enjoying his meal
20231203_031410.jpg

A warm meal and a lil love Imtbtrails style
20231203_031655.jpg

21mi. 1125ft.

Last edited:
And forever, from this day forward, you guys shall be known as the Night Rangers.
What about Midnight Ridazzz?
No, wait, I got it! “Wolf pack!”

joking aside, the ride went off without a hitch! No flats, no mechanicals, no extraction calls to the kiddo.
I still think quesadillas and coffee were a strange breakfast combo. But, hey, everyone enjoyed it.

IMG_6689.jpeg

Usually at midnight Saturday night I'm already snoring, tonight was different. Met @Sasquatch9billion and @DangerDirtyD at Trinidad home and by 12:30am. we was rolling towards San Marino, before we knew into S. Pasadena and onto to the Arroyo bike path. A steep fireroad into Debs park in Montecito Heights and we could see downtown L.A skyline.
View attachment 91538

View attachment 91539

Continued on to the top of the park to show @DangerDirtyD the small pond, didn't get pics of the pond, but I did take other pics
View attachment 91542

we got back to Trinidad home, where he would prepare some late night munchies, quesadillas for me and Dio and some fresh brewed coffee Dio was enjoying his meal
View attachment 91545

View attachment 91544
21mi. 1125ft.
IMG_3132.jpeg

Besides the hot sauce at breakfast, this is the only photo I took of the experience. It was thoroughly enjoyable to get a tour of some very upscale neighborhoods decorated for the holidays along very smooth and empty roads. The dirt was great too! The bike performed very well. The new lights by Outbound Lighting impressed me on my first ride using them, but I’ll wait until a proper MTB ride to report back on their performance. They are keepers nonetheless. Thank you @Sasquatch9billion for another awesome hosting and @Fueledbyex8 for playing with us!

View attachment 91538

View attachment 91539

View attachment 91542

View attachment 91545

View attachment 91544
21mi. 1125ft.

Wow looks like it was a great time!!!

View attachment 91552
Besides the hot sauce at breakfast, this is the only photo I took of the experience. It was thoroughly enjoyable to get a tour of some very upscale neighborhoods decorated for the holidays along very smooth and empty roads. The dirt was great too! The bike performed very well. The new lights by Outbound Lighting impressed me on my first ride using them, but I’ll wait until a proper MTB ride to report back on their performance. They are keepers nonetheless. Thank you @Sasquatch9billion for another awesome hosting and @Fueledbyex8 for playing with us!

Awesome time!:) I had wanted to ride to see some Christmas lights too lol. I gotta ask though. You guys don't ever get hassled by the cops or security at this time?

Back