Bike Part Availability & Prices

No, because XD does 10t, so Shimano didn't have to reinvent it.

Garbaruk make 10t cassettes (I have one). But of course, only for XD or Microspline.

Correct, the Shimano HG(old school) freehub cannot run a 10t cog. Sram figured it out with XD driver. Shimano had to come up with another way of getting that 10t cog....thus MicroSpline was born.

Garbaruk says they make a 12 spd, but it's HG compatible with 11-52.

They also make 10-52 that is MicroSpline.

Need is a stretch. But I am borderline need. I use every bit of the 10-50 range (32 up front on a 29). I rarely spin out, but the rare occasion I need that 10, I really NEED it. Like when I am sprinting for a large jump with a big gap, I either need it, or just don't get to hit a feature. And that really does happen. I have hit some pretty massive gaps that required 30 MPH speeds to clear.

I don't need the 50. I have survived with the same gearing with a 42 in the back, but it was a massive struggle at times. Doing stuff like climbing up Dunn road with several miles of 400' per mile (pitching well into the double digits) is really hard even with a 50 on the back.

I absolutely spin out the 32x10 on my XC bike a lot. But also push the 52 as well. I really should HTFU and put a 34 in the front. I might do that after my next race and see if I can manage it. The 52 definitely gets used a lot though racing places like Rim Nordic and Fontana, but I also handled it with a 32x42 for a couple years. Though I think I was stronger then.

No, because XD does 10t, so Shimano didn't have to reinvent it.

Garbaruk make 10t cassettes (I have one). But of course, only for XD or Microspline.
Yep, they make a 10 tooth. Have a new Garbaruk one sitting in a box waiting to be installed. And i think it might be time to put it on. the Shimano XTR 10 tooth skips under load, and barely downshifts into 3rd.

What surprised me with the skipping was to realize how much time I spend hammering in the 10 tooth on moderate DH.

At least you can swap drivers. My bike came with a Shimano hub, so, no driver swap. Which was annoying not only when I wanted a cassette and there were no Shimano cassettes available (luckily found the Garbaruk). Even more annoying when a bearing went out on the driver and I found out that a new driver is near the cost of an entire hub, if you could get one. And Shimano didn't design it to be servicable. Luckily I was able to figure out how to take it apart and replace the one $10 bearing instead of buying a new hub.

I have Hope Pro 4's on my trail bike.

I despise proprietary parts/design so much...

11aa6623-07fb-4d9c-a146-e8068bf9abb2_text.gif

Well stock is coming back up in Carbondale. I saw on FB that Revel is having a 20% off all frames & bikes in stock. It appears to apply only to the Ranger, Rascal and Rail mountain bikes and NOT the new(er) gravel bike. Use code SEPT20 if you want one.

https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/revel-rail/
Yeah, but they’re out of derailleur hangers. Back ordered until October. Or I can buy one for twice the price from Worldwide. I’m only shopping for a spare, so I’m waiting like it’s 2021.

I swapped the XTR with the Garbaruk 10-52. I don't like the XTR cassette, I don't like "Hyperglide". The Garbaruk shifts like a Sram and I like that.

Appears to be machined in a similar manner as Sram and I expect similar longevity. Sram cassettes last forever.

How is the Garbaruk holding up for you? I only have 100 miles on the 10-46 (11 speed) and love it. Just curious on long term...

I do like how a small eastern European company managed to make a functional component without all the fancy buzzwords and proprietary teeth/chain designs.

Last edited:
How is the Garbaruk holding up for you? I only have 100 miles on the 10-46 (11 speed) and love it. Just curious on long term...

I do like how a small eastern European company managed to make a functional component without all the fancy buzzwords and proprietary teeth/chain designs.
I'll have to inspect it. It's on my XC bike which gets far less miles than anything else.

It is constructed similarly to SRAM, with a single machined unit with only the big ring made from aluminum so I'm hoping for similar life.

Shifting quality is lower than SRAM, but acceptable enough for me. I just know I can't dump too many gears too fast.

I'd say based on my experience so far, the price/quality ratio is great. Weight reduction is a nice bonus. If it survives nearly as long as an XO1, then that even better.

That said, I would have a tough time choosing it over the SRAM if I had an XD driver. But it's Microspline, so I'm kinda screwed there (thanks Shimano for creating a new and unnecessary standard).

This is 1500 miles on the cassette. I'm definitely not a high horsepower machine, but this is my race bike and I rarely ride it outside of race efforts. Cassette barely shows wear.

I swapped from a KMC to XX1 (pictured with fresh wax) chain and it feels like it shifts better, but that could be in my mind. I really like the KMC chains on my 11 speed road bike. I also think I adjusted the B screw better recently so some of it could be that.

I'm pretty happy with this cassette. I'll try the XTR one again one of these days with the AXS and see how it feels. But the Garbaruk should last longer and I believe it was lighter, for less money.

IMG_20230203_223303257.jpg

This is 1500 miles on the cassette. I'm definitely not a high horsepower machine, but this is my race bike and I rarely ride it outside of race efforts. Cassette barely shows wear.

I swapped from a KMC to XX1 (pictured with fresh wax) chain and it feels like it shifts better, but that could be in my mind. I really like the KMC chains on my 11 speed road bike. I also think I adjusted the B screw better recently so some of it could be that.

I'm pretty happy with this cassette. I'll try the XTR one again one of these days with the AXS and see how it feels. But the Garbaruk should last longer and I believe it was lighter, for less money.

View attachment 86735

Thanks for that!

Mine only has 150 miles, but I'm impressed so far...

Update after a few rides, the Amazon CYSKY rotors seem to work great, and arrived nice and true
Well, I’m 1 for 2. I got another set of these for the 2d bike I built up. Same sku on Amazon, but they look different, look like avid cleansweep v2. First tried with my old Saints, then with the used set of quadiems I just scored. They glaze the pads, squeal and squeal, no power or modulation, yes I cleaned them first. Maybe they’re resin pad-only or something, or just garbage. I cleaned off an old worn shimano rotor and it seems to work fine with same caliper and pads…
Anyone have any idea why a rotor just wouldn’t work? Not actually made of steel?

Last edited:
Back