Bike Part Availability & Prices

Well , I learned my lesson about cheapish off brand Amazon cassettes:
One of the cogs completely detached from the rivets and spins freely, never had that happen before. Sucks because the steel teeth still have hardly any wear it seems. Any of the real players make an all-steel 11speed 11-50 HG cog stack that’s reasonably priced?
Next time just add the 2-year protection plan for $2.99! :sneaky:

upload_2022-2-27_19-49-0.jpeg

zip ties for the win! The rivets all broke off and small zips fit through the holes :) . Temporary of course, wonder how much torque thus can take?!

View attachment 80888
zip ties for the win! The rivets all broke off and small zips fit through the holes :) . Temporary of course, wonder how much torque thus can take?!

Duh! I realized an old Sunrace cassette that i hadnt thrown away (i never throw away old parts because they can be handy in a pinch) has a matching 3 cog assembly so I just swapped em out. since the biggets cogs were more worn and these are near the top end im sure itll be fine. Next drivetrain will be Box 9

For cassettes, I just go with the Sram X01 and be done with it. Bleed once. It is expensive, but it lasts forever. I am trying the Garbaruk on my Shimano bike though, it has the same machining as Sram.
id have to also get xd driver. They do not last 4x as long as sunrace (4x cheaper). i learned my lesson on $50 Amazon specials, tried that because EVERYTHING else was out of stock at the time in 11-50. but I dont need to spend hundreds (also always out of stock) on a wear item there are other options that are cheaper and I dont care about weight. And to be fair the steel Amazon cassetes teeth have little wear, and I fixed the broken cog issue, coulda just been a lemon. When it wears out will replace with box 2 9-speed system, same gear spread (11-50), all steel, very durable, whole train for les than 1 x0 casette+xd driver, and at least currently no out of stock issues.

They do not last 4x as long as sunrace (4x cheaper).
They probably last more than 4 times longer. One of mine has 4000 miles on it with no wear marks, that is on my spare wheel now.

I wouldn't run anything other than an XD on my bikes if I had the choice. One bike has Microspline on a Shimano hub, so I have to run an MS cassette. But I wish it was XD. I wouldn't run an HG driver on an MTB. Inferior design with the only merit being cheap parts. But the XD driver comes with the ability to run superior quality parts that last longer and function better. Like running cable operated disc brakes vs hydraulic to save money, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Shimanos supply chain is horrible and there aren't any 12 speed cassettes available in XT. So I was poking around and found an aftermarket 12 speed micro spline compatible cassette. :eek: I know... Surprised me too!

So just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone has experience with Garbaruk. It's never heard of them, and figure someone here has and opinion... :)

https://www.garbaruk.com/12-speed-shimano-micro-spline.html?category=2

( Don't need a cassette now, but thinking will on the next chain replacement)

Shimanos supply chain is horrible and there aren't any 12 speed cassettes available in XT. So I was poking around and found an aftermarket 12 speed micro spline compatible cassette. :eek: I know... Surprised me too!

So just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone has experience with Garbaruk. It's never heard of them, and figure someone here has and opinion... :)

They make very nice stuff.

Isn't it @Danmtchl who has used the Garbaruk with very good results?

I'm enjoying my new spiffy 9 speed drive train, but it only has about 50 miles on it, so the jury is still out...

Last edited:

Shows in stock. Also, Jenson shows more coming in 4/22.
https://www.freewheelbike.com/product/shimano-xt-m8100-12-speed-cassette-362975-1.htm

Well this is good to hear, as in nothing bad to hear.

And upsed has some kinda magical 'net powers...I didn't see that option,

So, do I get the garbaruk or XT? Oh my....decisions! Love XTR that I have now, but at more than double the price of XT it's falling off my radar, and not available anyway. And the garbaruk at less cost and weight of the XTR..maybe.

Last edited:
Isn't it @Danmtchl who has used the Garbaruk with very good results?

I'm enjoying my new spiffy 9 speed drive train, but it only has about 50 miles on it, so the jury is still out...

In all seriousness I've considered going 11 speed. Honestly don't think 12 gears is enough of an
improvement over 11 speed. Kind of a waste IMO.
But would need to change out everything, including the free hub driver.

In all seriousness I've considered going 11 speed. Honestly don't think 12 gears is enough of an
improvement over 11 speed. Kind of a waste IMO.
But would need to change out everything, including the free hub driver.

I ran 11 speed for the last year on the Moxie and then the Hightower... Honestly, it was the best that I've used in a long time. I've been dying to try the new Box 9-speed, so that's what I ordered for the Stumpjumper.

The Box 2 was out of stock, though, so I ended up with the Box 3... But it's on the bike, has great range, and shifts pretty smooth...

Another ++ for Garbaruk. I have no experience with the microspline, but I have two XD 10-50 cassettes. Seems well made, fits like stock (unlike the e-thirteen cassettes that use set screws), and performs just as well. I can't comment on longevity vs SRAM since my 4 year old XX1 1299 is still going strong. Some people on the internet are reporting that non-shimano/sram cassettes drops the chain while backpedalling. Never had that issue with any garbaruk, sunrace, or ethirteen cassettes.

I swapped the XTR with the Garbaruk 10-52. I don't like the XTR cassette, I don't like "Hyperglide". The Garbaruk shifts like a Sram and I like that.

Appears to be machined in a similar manner as Sram and I expect similar longevity. Sram cassettes last forever.

So I ordered a Garbaruk 12 spd micro spline cassette. :thumbsup: thanks to the positive"reviews" here. Says 30-40 days lead time, but I figure with everything going on in that part of the world it may be longer. It ships from Poland... Saw that after the order but that's ok. Figure I'm 4-5 months out from actually needing it.

We shall see!!! And 11 of the gears are machined from a solid piece of steel...oh yeah...;)

Ordered two sets of Miles Racing brake pads for my XT 8120 4 piston stoppers, based entirely on the recommendations from the legendary and trustworthy IMTB peeps.

I have no idea how long they will take to arrive. Don't really need them yet, and I have a pair of Zee in reserve.

Last edited:
Ordered two sets of Miles Racing brake pads for my XT 8120 4 piston stoppers, based entirely on the recommendations from the legendary and trustworthy IBTB peeps.

I have no idea how long they will take to arrive. Don't really need them yet, and I have a pair of Zee if I need them.

I usually get mine in 2-3 days...

I've only used the semi-metallic. Which ones did you order?

Back