Bike Part Availability & Prices

No shortage of chainrings here

91974.jpeg

Quite familiar. My father was a machinist for over 50 years and I spent a lot of childhood in his shop. He still keeps a Hardinge Toolroom Lathe, Bridgeport mill, and a Haas TM-1 in his home shop. I get to use them once in a while too. :D Usually making car parts instead of bike parts though.

View attachment 82373

You need a BIG turbo a set of radial engine pistons . . . Some of the parts I have made in my 40 years in the Aerospace parts manufacturing industry.
And a few bike parts.

14316778_1475759435773865_468890225586668975_n.jpg

22528906_1958530710830066_7041433828548992119_o.jpg

20210811_164943.jpg

There are a lot of stories I would have trouble proving(like parts from my grandfather's shop being on the moonlanding or SR-71), but I do know first-hand that my father's shop made at least some of the Answer Manitou....2? 3? 4? brake hangers in the '90s.

Incidentally, Marzocchi was actually next-door to the shop in Valencia, CA for a time back then.

So I ordered a Garbaruk 12 spd micro spline cassette. :thumbsup: thanks to the positive"reviews" here. Says 30-40 days lead time, but I figure with everything going on in that part of the world it may be longer. It ships from Poland... Saw that after the order but that's ok. Figure I'm 4-5 months out from actually needing it.

We shall see!!! And 11 of the gears are machined from a solid piece of steel...oh yeah...;)

When I ordered the cassette it said 30-40 days. Then the website said something like 60 days. I'm also thinking given the drama going on near Poland it might be even longer, if arrives at all.

But then here I am at just over two weeks and BAM!, the Garbaruk Cassette is sitting at my front door just waiting for me to bring it in.

Looking at it, it's light, Looks very well made, and the large gear is freaking huge! The contact points for the micro spline are not continuous. They're at the outside and inside of the cassette. I would have a concern but did read a post someone made that after 1500 miles they pulled it off the freehub and found no wear, so it's good to go!

When I finally need it and install it, probably be a few months, will be sure to report back on the shifting and gearing. Cause you're all curious as heck to know what I think. :cool:

For now though, like what I see.

It's interesting that I have aftermarket brake pads, and cassette due to Shimano having extremely poor supply available. Never would have considered it before.

20220508_122045.jpg

Last edited:
When I ordered the cassette it said 30-40 days. Then the website said something like 60 days. I'm also thinking given the drama going on near Poland it might be even longer, if arrives at all.

But then here I am at just over two weeks and BAM!, the Garbaruk Cassette is sitting at my front door just waiting for me to bring it in.

Looking at it, it's light, Looks very well made, and the large gear is freaking huge! The contact points for the micro spline are not continuous. They're at the outside and inside of the cassette. I would have a concern but did read a post someone made that after 1500 miles they pulled it off the freehub and found no wear, so it's good to go!

When I finally need it and install it, probably be a few months, I'll be sure to report back on the shifting and gearing. Cause I know you're all curious as heck to know what I think. :cool:

For now though, I like what I see.

It's interesting that I have aftermarket brake pads, and cassette due to Shimano having extremely poor supply available. Never would have considered it before.

View attachment 82455
Nice looking cassette!!

What I find interesting is that garbaruk makes a 12 speed Shimano cassettes that's fit on the original shimano's spline. Makes me wonder why ...but not very long why ....Shimano had to create the new micro spline.

https://www.garbaruk.com/12-speed-shimano-hg.html?category=11

The Sunrace 12 speed cassettes are available also for both HG and XD... They were cheap and worked well. :thumbsup: Shimano can stick their micro spline .

I'm enjoying my retro-grouch 9 speed for the time being. Two bikes in the stable right now, and only 10 gears between them. Still might be too many. :laugh:

Back