August 10th 2019 Big Bear Skyline Club Ride

To add a few miles (3-4ish)), we could continue East on Plumbers when we reach Radford Road. At the end, we could backtrack to Radford Road on 2N10 and then turn onto Pirates & Fall Line and finish the ride.

If we wanna go bigger, we could head West on Towne Trail, climb 2N08 to Pineknot and take the lower half to Mill Creek. Climb Mill Creek/2N10 to Plantation. Take that to Clark's Grade and jump onto Skyline going East (fun section). Then finish the ride as originally planned.

This was my original trail idea for the 2016 planned ride. But some folks were running out of steam. We could easily build in some bail outs, but my goal was to keep everyone together. Remember, the pace is indeed going to be social so as long as people bring plenty of water and trail food everyone should be fine.
Stats for this ride:
23 miles
2600 feet of elevation gain
Clockwise out Fern Trail to Plumbers, to Skyline, do the full Skyline trail. Climb back up Plantation to 2N10 heading back East to Pine Knot Trail, drop Pine Knot to a connector to residential Cherry lane to Town Trail back to Snow Summit Parking Lot.

Thoughts?
upload_2019-8-5_7-29-31.png

Attachments

Having never ridden up there I'll defer to others for input on route direction, etc. Re: mileage, as one of the less experienced riders I'd be game to add on a bit. If the m.o. is like the Golden Eagle ride the pace and breaks made for a mellow feel, and 20ish miles shouldn't scare anyone off. Selfishly, I'd like to see as much of the trail as possible.

New Guy speaks wisdom. :thumbsup: Although he probably doesn't realize we'll all be sucking wind at that elevation and 1500 will feel like 3000. :p

@Mikie - Any chance you'll have some of the new Cola flavor by then? I'll take a bag if you do...

This was my original trail idea for the 2016 planned ride. But some folks were running out of steam. We could easily build in some bail outs, but my goal was to keep everyone together. Remember, the pace is indeed going to be social so as long as people bring plenty of water and trail food everyone should be fine.
Stats for this ride:
23 miles
Clockwise out Fern Trail to Plumbers, to Skyline, do the full Skyline trail. Climb back up Plantation to 2N10 heading back East to Pine Knot Trail, drop Pine Knot to a connector to residential Cherry lane to Town Trail back to Snow Summit Parking Lot.

Thoughts?
View attachment 56162
That's more like it and if we wanna add a lil' tech to the end of the ride (before Towne Trail) we could roll through Snow Forest ST. Either way to Town Trail is fine, though.

This will be a sizable ride so we can just slow it down and take breaks as needed.

Stats for this ride:
23 miles

Thoughts?
View attachment 56162

I like this....better.

Stats for this ride:
23 miles

Thoughts?
View attachment 56162

I will happily ride any route that is put together for the 10th.

I just want folks that have been uneasy in the past to jump on imtbtrails rides to feel comfortable.
This is an amazingly accommodating bunch of hooligans. All are welcome and will be taken VERY good care of! :thumbsup:

The climb up Fern is front-loaded, but once up on Skyline, there are a LOT of bail out options on the clockwise route.
Counterclockwise looks like it might be an easier climb (have never done it), but fewer natural bail outs and less choose your own adventure.
I like clockwise, but am happy to try something new as part of the counter-culture.

I just want folks that have been uneasy in the past to jump on imtbtrails rides to feel comfortable.
This is an amazingly accommodating bunch of hooligans. All are welcome and will be taken VERY good care of! :thumbsup:
I wanna go. Don’t forget the intervention! My loaded truck will be parked outside, and the ropes, gunny sacks, worry beads, gag balls, and lubricant will be stashed on the porch.

I'm all about this new plan, and the shared enthusiasm for it

New Guy speaks wisdom. :thumbsup: Although he probably doesn't realize we'll all be sucking wind at that elevation and 1500 will feel like 3000. :p

Hopefully the elevation doesn't scare anyone. Personally, when I snowboard and hike up there I don't feel like I'm being impacted that greatly by the elevation. I feel like it's MUCH more noticeable at Mammoth type 10k-ish elevations. That said, I haven't ridden my bike in BB yet, so this may be a case of famous last words.

Last edited:
Who’s on this?? Come on hooligans what’s the plan:sneaky:
It's just his excuse.....mom can watch the kids for a day...shheeesh! :cautious:

I know for sure we will have at least two grills. Bring something to throw on the Barby! Uh... the Barbcue, not @SS Barby ... :rolleyes:o_O
Hey, a Barby on the Barby! He just needs to wear a meat suit like Lady Gaga did and all ready to go..:thumbsup:

I know for sure we will have at least two grills. Bring something to throw on the Barby! Uh... the Barbcue, not @SS Barby ... :rolleyes:o_O

How big are the grills Mikie. are they the little portable ones or full on reg size bbq?
Can anyone bring easy ups sun shades? Don't forget your chair.
So how many riders we talking? I saw a tentative list somewhere.

Last edited:
Back