Wrightwood… Wait? What? (Postponed)

Attachments

• PXL_20240908_221440204.jpg
    PXL_20240908_221440204.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240908_221519837.jpg
    PXL_20240908_221519837.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 18
Anecdotal, but someone commented in a Mammoth FB group, in a post about Mt. High, that they spoke to someone who had been part of the effort to defend Mt. High who said it is a total loss. Hard to wrap my head around that if it's actually true. Sounds like the situations for Snow Valley and Mt. Baldy are looking grim as well. What a devastating few days this is turning out to be.

Anecdotal, but someone commented in a Mammoth FB group, in a post about Mt. High, that they spoke to someone who had been part of the effort to defend Mt. High who said it is a total loss. Hard to wrap my head around that if it's actually true. Sounds like the situations for Snow Valley and Mt. Baldy are looking grim as well. What a devastating few days this is turning out to be.
according to the LA times, Mt High survived with little damage. If true good to hear!

They may survive this but the smell of burned forest is sure to fill the air for weeks to come and the chance of highway/road closures in and around the burn areas can go on for weeks if not months afterward. Golden Eagle and P-12 are good alternatives.
How about something more"Central"for everybody. The cheese maybe. Actually p12 is a pretty good place, if it doesn't catch on fire.

They may survive this but the smell of burned forest is sure to fill the air for weeks to come and the chance of highway/road closures in and around the burn areas can go on for weeks if not months afterward. Golden Eagle and P-12 are good alternatives.

Regardless of the outcome, I am highly unlikely to ride Wrightwood in two weeks. The air quality will most likely suck. Air in OC will likely suck as well, but I still haven't caught a whiff of smoke in Costa Mesa, and there has been no ash, which is really odd.

Regardless of the outcome, I am highly unlikely to ride Wrightwood in two weeks. The air quality will most likely suck. Air in OC will likely suck as well, but I still haven't caught a whiff of smoke in Costa Mesa, and there has been no ash, which is really odd.
The wind direction makes a big difference. As of last night in Cucamonga the air quality was already in the good category. The wind has been blowing to the north and to the east so pushing most of the smoke inland and northeasterly

The wind direction makes a big difference. As of last night in Cucamonga the air quality was already in the good category.

Agreed. It is just odd when I can clearly see smoke and fire and no smell. Not that I am complaining. I remember a fire in San Diego where we got covered in ash. Mostly concerned about the local trails and of course the friends who have houses close to the area. It is already too close for comfort.

I was chatting with the local boys here concerning that horrible fire down there in da OC and how may trails have burned up in it. We are expecting a push North from you guys down there to have a place to ride. We'll be starting up a shuttle service here, and charging parking fees and trail use fees. So, come on up! ;)

USFS and fire folks may not allow, but it is a good idea. I've been up there when fire was nearby, and watched many sorties dipping into the Mtn High East reservoir (still call it Holliday Hill in my head).
They had the permanent snow guns going full blast this morning. Not sure about the relocatables. That said, the permanent guns point to the treeless slopes. The relocatables could be pointed into the trees - but you have to place them manually and connect hoses.

Here's a link to an update on their website.

And this:
  • Mountain Bike Sneak Peak is canceled. We're sorry mountain bikers. We'd love to see you but we've got a lot of work ahead and our employees are focused on different things. We'll see you in the Spring.

I was chatting with the local boys here concerning that horrible fire down there in da OC and how may trails have burned up in it. We are expecting a push North from you guys down there to have a place to ride. We'll be starting up a shuttle service here, and charging parking fees and trail use fees. So, come on up! ;)

We are not dead yet. We still have Oaks, Aliso, Laguna, Weed Patch/Dog Park, and The Luge (for now).

You also don't really want us coming up there on the regular because .. well, that would be emasculating. :cautious:

They had the permanent snow guns going full blast this morning. Not sure about the relocatables. That said, the permanent guns point to the treeless slopes. The relocatables could be pointed into the trees - but you have to place them manually and connect hoses.

Here's a link to an update on their website.

And this:
  • Mountain Bike Sneak Peak is canceled. We're sorry mountain bikers. We'd love to see you but we've got a lot of work ahead and our employees are focused on different things. We'll see you in the Spring.

Great news!

Back