In Other News

No we haven’t, but I know a few people who went there and recommended it. We are looking at the state schools, mainly because of the cost difference. So with Chapman it’s $90K per year with food and housing , compared to the $35K at Cal Poly Pomona.

Holy crapola!!! $90K a year is obscene. I'm so glad my kids did ROTC and not only was tuition & books covered but they even got a monthly stipend. My daughter's school, the University of Portland, even covered room & board for ROTC students.

Do you about the WUE program where there's a block of Western US schools that allow students from neighboring states to qualify for "in state" tuition costs? My son went to Boise State and if he didn't do ROTC, he qualified for the WUE scholarship which was going to be about $6800 a year (in 2012). https://www.wiche.edu/tuition-savings/wue/

Holy crapola!!! $90K a year is obscene. I'm so glad my kids did ROTC and not only was tuition & books covered but they even got a monthly stipend. My daughter's school, the University of Portland, even covered room & board for ROTC students.

Do you about the WUE program where there's a block of Western US schools that allow students from neighboring states to qualify for "in state" tuition costs? My son went to Boise State and if he didn't do ROTC, he qualified for the WUE scholarship which was going to be about $6800 a year (in 2012). https://www.wiche.edu/tuition-savings/wue/

Sadly that is becoming the norm, that’s why my daughter went to UNLV, it was cheaper for her to go out of state and than stay in state. My son has never done ROTC, my nephew is now runs the ROTC program at Ohio State University. But with my son he just wants to stay in state and keep the costs low.

Come on up folks.
1000007012.jpg
1000007011.jpg

No we haven’t, but I know a few people who went there and recommended it. We are looking at the state schools, mainly because of the cost difference. So with Chapman it’s $90K per year with food and housing , compared to the $35K at Cal Poly Pomona.
Maybe, maybe not.

Privates tend to have some pretty substantial financial aid packages. So definitely find the right school and apply!

The Baby goes to U of Redlands (great 4+1 MBA program BTW) and while the listed tuition (not housing, just tuition!!!) is $62k, the actual tuition for CA kids is $17.5k. That's before any Cal Grants that a student might qualify for. I imagine a lot of similar privates have something like that.

vs

Maybe, maybe not.

Privates tend to have some pretty substantial financial aid packages. So definitely find the right school and apply!

The Baby goes to U of Redlands (great 4+1 MBA program BTW) and while the listed tuition (not housing, just tuition!!!) is $62k, the actual tuition for CA kids is $17.5k. That's before any Cal Grants that a student might qualify for. I imagine a lot of similar privates have something like that.

vs

That’s awesome, but my son is a CC transfer, so that doesn’t seem to apply to us. Plus we wouldn’t meet some of the criteria even if he is just coming out of highschool. That 4+1 program looks like a great one.

My kid went to Cal State Fullerton, graduated in 2021. If'n I remember correctly it was about $12K/yr for tuition and housing, averaged over the 4 years. Maybe a tad more, but not much more.

The easiest way to save on costs is to have them do the first two years at a community college, which is the way you're going. I would argue that that is a better general education environment, and they'll excel at the final two years at a university.

My two cents.

My kid went to Cal State Fullerton, graduated in 2021. If'n I remember correctly it was about $12K/yr for tuition and housing, averaged over the 4 years. Maybe a tad more, but not much more.

The easiest way to save on costs is to have them do the first two years at a community college, which is the way you're going. I would argue that that is a better general education environment, and they'll excel at the final two years at a university.

My two cents.

Know your right about that, going to a CC is the best way to save money and to get the Gen Ed out of the way. My daughter had the grades, scholarships and grants to go to a UC straight out of highschool. So that worked for her. But my son just wanted to stay home and go to a CC, which worked best for him. We looked at Fullerton, it was nice but don’t think he was feeling it.

IMG_6255.jpeg

I have never seen one in the wild. Lots of others see them on the trails even on the same day and same trails!
When I'm outside working and I see one, I take a break, and just watch as it walks by. There is something about watching them that is relaxing in a Mother Nature way.
Being in the mountains for 11 years, 4 years full time, it never gets old seeing the animals, the scent of the trees, wet dirt, and the silence of snow falling.

. . . when people were more inclined to be helpful to one another.

Pessimist. Your politics can suck and I'd still stop to help you on the side of the road. Or trail. As would most people except for the hardcore whackjobs on both fringes.

Don't let the idiots get you down. They're not nearly as numerous as the algorithms would make them out to be.

Back