IMTB Rides the Cheese

Ride Name: IMTB Rides the Cheese
When: Saturday 11/9
Time: 9am
Where: Cheseboro Canyon
Ride Description or Details:
@SnakeCharmer and I have been talking about how fun it would be to have a large group of IMTBers ripping around the Cheese. Ride will be a nice mix of fire road and single track, flow and chunk. I'm thinking a pretty standard loopish route that's my bread and butter run. Edison fire road up and over into the canyon, up Cheseboro, left on Sheep Corral. After a short break at the look out at the top of Sheep Corral, bomb down Bones, climb Palo Comado, leisurely loop around China Flats. Finish with a party run back down Palo, Sheep Corral, and Gas Pipe (my favorite run in the park), and then a fast but easy blast down Las Virgenes back to the trail head. If there's a strong desire to add some miles I'm open to that, and the logical addition would tack on another 8ish miles and 800 - 1000 ft.
~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
Meet Location:
Las Virgenes Canyon trailhead, at the end of Las Virgenes Road. Ride will start by climbing Edison Fire Road.
Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Ride Pace: Easy with Moments of Effort
Type of Ride: Out and Back, Loop
Rider Limit: none
Anticipated Mileage: 18ish
Elevation Gain: 2300
Ride Duration: 3 - 4 hours
Previous Ride Reports:
Possible Bail-Outs:
Lookout at the top of Sheep Corral. It's a logical break point, and anyone that needs to depart early can retrace steps down Sheep Corral, and then take Gas Pipe to Las Virgenes.
Facilities: Nah
Food/water suggestions: I'll have a bladder of water and bottle of Tailwinds.
Option to Upload:
Yay, I’m in too!!!

I’d like to, but that would be the third straight weekend of long drives to ride after WW50 and Hellacious Ride.
That's no long drive, mister. But it sure can seem like it when you drive by other riding areas in perfect conditions along the way!!!!!! Says the proponent of no-car outings... :oops::geek:

@buggravy, I believe this is your first group ride lead on the site. AYE, man!! :thumbsup::notworthy: Bummed I'm not within striking distance. Yea, I know...7.5 hours is striking distance. :cautious::unsure:

cheese.jpg

Did a dry run of the ride as laid out above, and I think it's pretty perfect for a group ride, and will be a good intro to the area for anyone that hasn't ridden it before. Stats came out to 18.9 and 2535, and was right at 2.5 hours of ride time at a decent, but certainly not break neck pace. With some moist air in the mornings the dust is starting to settle down a bit, and should only get better by ride date. The single tracks are riding great, if pretty firm. Some work has been done on Bones, and the lower third that had been reduced to a tightrope line on the left with death ruts on the right now has some options for line choices, and overall it was super fun. Basically what I'm saying is, if you come on this ride I'm pretty sure all your wildest dreams will come true.

071EE29C-F608-420D-ACA2-F855C7FC1CC5.jpeg

Did a dry run of the ride as laid out above, and I think it's pretty perfect for a group ride, and will be a good intro to the area for anyone that hasn't ridden it before. Stats came out to 18.9 and 2535, and was right at 2.5 hours of ride time at a decent, but certainly not break neck pace. With some moist air in the mornings the dust is starting to settle down a bit, and should only get better by ride date. The single tracks are riding great, if pretty firm. Some work has been done on Bones, and the lower third that had been reduced to a tightrope line on the left with death ruts on the right now has some options for line choices, and overall it was super fun. Basically what I'm saying is, if you come on this ride I'm pretty sure all your wildest dreams will come true.

View attachment 58819

If'n this wasn't in BFE, I'd be all over it at my own special pace.

Back