The Weather Thread

Friant Dam / Millerton Lake is out of the picture for a few days.
I may have to go higher and ride some fireroads near Yosemite along an old lumber flume off of Big Creek.

Screenshot_20240624_064730_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Yesterday hit 111° and didn't feel that bad. It may have been the fact that my sweat evaporated quickly and cooled me off. Yes I went into Fresno for a CostCo run and picked up some tritip and meat for jerkey at the meat market.

I'm glad I am not riding in Death Valley...

Screenshot_20240707_070256_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been hovering around 100 here at mid-day in Prescott that last few days but I always ride at 0630, 0700 at the latest and I'm done well before we get to 80. I'm then loitering at home in the AC so the heat is totally a non-factor. If I cared to use them, we have a big ol' community pool that I've never seen even 10 people using at one time as well as a comfy clubhouse with a pool table, ping pong, video games and the like.

I tried to get my wife to go to Durango for a couple weeks where it's in the mid 80's but that psycho has a girls trip planned on Tuesday to kayak the Salt River in the valley where it's going to be 116.

We've been hovering around 100 here at mid-day in Prescott that last few days but I always ride at 0630, 0700 at the latest and I'm done well before we get to 80. I'm then loitering at home in the AC so the heat is totally a non-factor. If I cared to use them, we have a big ol' community pool that I've never seen even 10 people using at one time as well as a comfy clubhouse with a pool table, ping pong, video games and the like.

I tried to get my wife to go to Durango for a couple weeks where it's in the mid 80's but that psycho has a girls trip planned on Tuesday to kayak the Salt River in the valley where it's going to be 116.

Go to Durango......without her.

Kayaking the Salt? That's actual whitewater kayaking, complete with spray skirt and eskimo rolls, yes?

My whitewater kayaking buddies in Durango would do the Upper Salt annually. They were incredibly skilled boaters - beyond anything I would want to try. That's why I asked about your wife. That would be hard-core. But I see that the Lower Salt is a float - swiftwater at best. No rapids.

Upper Salt River, AZ
While the area may be visited at any time, because there are no trails in this wilderness, it is primarily accessed during the spring by whitewater rafts and kayaks.
The Upper Salt is a solid class III-IV river and requires whitewater boating skills. It is not a suitable river to initiate your whitewater boating experience unless in the company of experienced boaters. As the water level drops the river becomes more technically difficult, and at low water a few of the rapids approach class V. Because it is a free flowing river, it also has the potential to go to flood stage and become very dangerous in just hours.

Well, the lady with all the kayaks has staph infection so we're loaded up and will head to Durango after tomorrow morning's local ride (and hike for the Mrs). @herzalot I guess a float on the Animas will have to suffice, the Salt will have to wait until the ladies can re-schedule
The Animas can get a little spicy around Smelter rapid in town. Class III+ at higher flows. Say hi to Durango for me. I spent my formative college years there!

Last edited:
The best light show I have ever seen went on for 45 minutes starting around 4am this morning.
Non stop lightning and thunder.
Some of the thunder was a really low range and not the crackley sounds we usually hear. I felt it.

Funny that the dogs didn't react, because they hate the thunder.
Sooooo no feeding the critters until it ended.

I will post bike/riding stuff this comming week.

Just drove South in the big valley after sunset till sunrise. the temp was 80 to 88. It got to the higher 88 at Grapevine, but most places were 84. the valley is long. On the way north I got a flat in the daytime near Red Bluff. The shoulder is so hot I had to use insulation to protect myself from burns. Redding was 115 at 5:00 pm.
Happy trails

Last edited:
Back