Music... I Listened to Some

I went and saw these dudes back in October when they played a free show at Permanent Records. It was a jam packed show, myself and my two friends were actually the last three people they let in.
I figure it was a fun enough show to go see them again next month at the Lodge room in Highland Park. The same two friends jumped on the idea right away-and one of them doesn't even like punk music.

As well as riding and surfing, I went and saw The Avengers and The Damned at The Catalyst Club!! What a great show.

IMG_5576.jpeg

Wife turned me on to these guys several years ago. We've been going to a couple shows a year since. Drummer, Marco Minnemann, is in Lake Elsinore, so they end up playing Ramona Main Stage eventually each tour. I'm about to listen to this album right now...

I’ve been a fan of Uncle Lucious for many years, good to have them back after 5 year break.

Btw- music related note, guess this is my summer of canceled concerts.
#1 - Last week at Santa Barbara Bowl Whiskey Myers show cancels day of the show claiming sick band member, but they manage to play San Diego County Fair the next day.
#2 - got message today Neil Young and Crazy Horse concert canceled due to illness, concert is not until September.

I have tickets for Willie Nelson and Friends in July, keeping fingers crossed on that one.

Last edited:

Brings back memories. I opened up a coffee bar in North Hollywood back in 1990, and had live music most nights of the week. Also did open mic nights and poetry nights. Charles/Black Francis/Frank Black, whatever you want to call him, hung out at my place regularly. Joey Santiago (from The Pixies) and his wife were also regulars. I guess it pre-dated the original break-up of The Pixies, but The Martinis were already playing around even though they didn't release any albums until much later. As I recall, The Martinis back then mainly consisted of Joey and his wife Linda Mallari, drummer Dawn Richardson (known from 4 Non Blondes), and Rachel Haden (yeah, one of Charlie Haden's daughters) on bass. They were an awesome live band and played at my establishment many times. Got to know them all quite well, and they were really nice people. Kinda neat, since I grew up in the northeast and got to see The Pixies many, many times throughout the mid-80s mainly in small clubs in Providence, RI and Boston, MA. We could talk about the "old times".

Brings back memories. I opened up a coffee bar in North Hollywood back in 1990, and had live music most nights of the week. Also did open mic nights and poetry nights. Charles/Black Francis/Frank Black, whatever you want to call him, hung out at my place regularly. Joey Santiago (from The Pixies) and his wife were also regulars. I guess it pre-dated the original break-up of The Pixies, but The Martinis were already playing around even though they didn't release any albums until much later. As I recall, The Martinis back then mainly consisted of Joey and his wife Linda Mallari, drummer Dawn Richardson (known from 4 Non Blondes), and Rachel Haden (yeah, one of Charlie Haden's daughters) on bass. They were an awesome live band and played at my establishment many times. Got to know them all quite well, and they were really nice people. Kinda neat, since I grew up in the northeast and got to see The Pixies many, many times throughout the mid-80s mainly in small clubs in Providence, RI and Boston, MA. We could talk about the "old times".

Yeah, that vid was from memories of 120 minutes on MTV days back in the early 90's. Badass.

I saw the Pixies with Paz at the Rose Bowl with The Cure a couple of years ago. My friends were all there for The Cure, but I was there for both. Saw Kim Deal with the Breeders in Brea about a year ago.

I went and saw a live band tonight.
No Duh, a No Doubt cover band. I've seen them a few times and they are pretty good.
OC Parks free concert in the park at Irvine Park.
Best thing about it is you can legally drink in the park. Very warm to start, got very pleasant after awhile.
Often I ride to these concerts, tonight just drove.
One oddity is that I keep running into this same guy, his wife and daughter. He has a big tattoo of a frisbee golf hole on his calf, pretty distinct. Lost a bet he says.
These are one of the highlights of my summer.
Can't afford real concerts and drink prices, but can do free and my own beers.

I went and saw a live band tonight.
No Duh, a No Doubt cover band. I've seen them a few times and they are pretty good.
OC Parks free concert in the park at Irvine Park.
Best thing about it is you can legally drink in the park. Very warm to start, got very pleasant after awhile.
Often I ride to these concerts, tonight just drove.
One oddity is that I keep running into this same guy, his wife and daughter. He has a big tattoo of a frisbee golf hole on his calf, pretty distinct. Lost a bet he says.
These are one of the highlights of my summer.
Can't afford real concerts and drink prices, but can do free and my own beers.

Lead singer of No Duh probably looks much more like the lead singer of No Doubt at this point, because one of them used to look like Gwen. :cautious:

I went and saw Spiritual Cramp at the Lodgeroom in Highland Park on Friday with a couple of old friends from high school.

Did a quick over nighter up I. The Gabe’s on Saturday night with @slooowsef and another buddy. We had all of Glenn campground to ourselves.

Then Sunday, rode back and loafed on the couch all day until I got up to see another show at Zebulon. I went and saw a reunion show of a band called The VUE and Ian Sveninious’ current band Escape-ism.
Both were good. The dudes from the view were in one of my favorite hardcore bands of all time (Portraits of Past.) and Ian S. Was in two big bands from my formative years (Nation of Ulysses and The Make-Up.)
Posts like this make me miss Hotchkiss from STR because he always knew what I was talking about.

Back