Music... I Listened to Some

Spotify tells no lies. So Far Away and Sultans of Swing are good. Forgot about those.

And F@ck anyone hating on Thriller and/or Donna Summer. I am old like that.

1724514964864.png

Spotify tells no lies. So Far Away and Sultans of Swing are good. Forgot about those.
What's popular and what's good are not very overlapping Venn diagrams in music.

Sultans of Swing is a good example of other amazing songs with similar sound and structure. But if you dated a hard core Dire Straits. fan and still didn't like at least 3 songs on each of their first four albums, you are beyond hope.

Well I went to another concert last night and really didn’t think I’d enjoy two of the three bands. Saw Steve Miler, Journey and Def Leppard (3rd time for them).
Nice! I had an interesting experience seeing Def Leppard at the Universal Amphitheater back around 2002. I was never a Def Leppard fan, or hater for that matter. Just not really my thing. My good friend's younger brother was (and maybe still is) Vivian Campbell's guitar technician, after working for Mick Jones (of Foreigner) for many years. So, I was lucky enough to get a free ticket with a full-access laminate. Showed up around sound check time, and watched the whole show from side stage behind the curtain. It was pretty cool to watch a big rock show that way. All of the band members were very friendly. There was no post-show backstage debauchery going on. All very low key and mellow. Wish I could've handed over this experience to a superfan of the band.

RE: Sultans of Swing...

Don't care much for how their sound evolved, but every time I listen to Romeo and Juliet I get all gooey.
Man, Mark Knopfler's modal, melodic, arpeggio-driven style of lead guitar playing caught me dead on from when we all first started hearing Dire Straits on the radio in the latter 70s. About five years later, I found myself introduced to Richard Thompson, who took it to a whole other level. Both Mark and Richard are amazing players from the UK, and the same age. Talk about great influences to have as a relatively serious guitar player at the time, although I never made it anywhere in the music business and focused elsewhere in my career path. Now that I'm fully-retired, I have pulled the guitars back out and am trying to get back into it. I can still read complex charts and have a very solid background in music theory, but I cannot strum consistently clean chords in my current ability. Gonna take some time to regain the basic stuff.

Last edited:
Man, Mark Knopfler's modal, melodic, arpeggio-driven style of lead guitar playing caught me dead on from when we all first started hearing Dire Straits on the radio in the latter 70s. About five years later, I found myself introduced to Richard Thompson, who took it to a whole other level. Both Mark and Richard are amazing players from the UK, and the same age. Talk about great influences to have as a relatively serious guitar player at the time, although I never made it anywhere in the music business and focused elsewhere in my career path. Now that I'm fully-retired, I have pulled the guitars back out and am trying to get back into it. I can still read complex charts and have a very solid background in music theory, but I cannot strum consistently clean chords in my current ability. Gonna take some time to regain the basic stuff.
You've probably seen Rick beato on YouTube? Great analysis of songs!

Yep. Rumor has it that Mick brings an 18 wheeler full of exercise equipment with him on tour. That is the way.
Going back to the Nirvana topic, that single and the album was a total game changer at the time, a rather needed one. I won't go into a long-winded story explaining why, but I got to know those guys and the people around them quite well back in the very early '90s. Lots of fond memories, not all but mostly, and good friends made along the way during that period of time.

Last edited:
So says one of the greatest musical geniuses of all time. :)

"Greatest musical genius of all time" is one of the truly subjective claims in all of human history.

Some would bestow that honor on David Bowie. Others would give it to Beethoven. Still others would give it to...someone else.

For myself, Bach plays 2nd fiddle - maybe even 4th - to the likes of Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Ronnie Van Zant...heck, even Rod Stewart.

"Greatest musical genius of all time" is one of the truly subjective claims in all of human history.

Some would bestow that honor on David Bowie. Others would give it to Beethoven. Still others would give it to...someone else.

For myself, Bach plays 2nd fiddle - maybe even 4th - to the likes of Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Ronnie Van Zant...heck, even Rod Stewart.
Fair enough. Guess I should've used the term composer rather than genius. Of your example list, Jeff Lynne would rank very high in my opinion, even though I didn't appreciate ELO much in my younger years, but I certainly do in a big way now.

Thinking of modern time composers (not even sure how to define that), a couple that come to my mind immediately as some of the greatest of all time are Jimmy Webb and John Williams.

Back