Tornado Damage at Hobbs State Park, NW Arkansas

Mikie

Admin/iMTB Hooligan
Approximately 8 weeks ago we had 3 tornadoes touch down in Northwest Arkansas.
It devastated a strip from West to East in some places 300 yards wide, one of the largest destructive paths in the history of the state of Arkansas.

Well… guess what?
That tornado swath just happened to include Hobbs State Park, the largest State Park in the state of Arkansas… and, my “go to” riding spot only 40 minutes from the house.

CJ stopped by the Visitor Center a week ago and the front desk stated it would take at least a year to clear the trails. :eek: A year. :gotnothing:

We asked if they use volunteers and they gleefully shouted yes! So we signed up.
We had our meeting today with the Volunteer Coordinator.

There are two trail networks at Hobbs totaling approximately 56 miles. I ride the Monument Trail System that totals 18 miles but have plenty of other trails (which I have ridden) there called something like the Hidden Diversity Trail Network. They are currently cleaning up the Diversity trail system as it is manageable for their Staff plus Volunteers.

UNFORTUNATELY… the Monument Trail System, where I prefer to ride, they are getting bids from professional contractors due to the danger that the fallen and semi fallen trees (called widow makers) pose. AND, there are over 3,000 trees that have landed on the actual singletrack.

Because I don’t have a U.S. Forestry Certification, I can’t fire up a chain saw on the trail, all I can be is what is called a “Swamper” who moves the cut trees off the trail using various tools they provide.
With no new US Forestry Certification courses until Fall, I’m screwed on getting out there clearing trail on my own.

Nonetheless, I signed up and will typically donate 7 hours per effort to “Swamp” tree biscuits off the trail. :( Very discouraging.
If there is any good news in this, they plan to start with contractors first on the Karst Trail which is my absolute favorite trail in Hobbs and certainly their flagship trail in the Monument Trail Network.

So there you have it!
;)Mikie

So you're telling us you're still useful for something? :laugh:

Swamping may not be as glamorous as sawyering but it's equally important to getting the trails cleared. And Sept is only a couple months away. If there is a year+ of work to do, there will be plenty of trees to cut beyond Sept. And you'll be good to go for any new deadfall over the winter.

Swamping may not be as glamorous as sawyering but it's equally important to getting the trails cleared. And Sept is only a couple months away. If there is a year+ of work to do, there will be plenty of trees to cut beyond Sept. And you'll be good to go for any new deadfall over the winter.
So, you are saying @Mikie is Swamp Thing? Hmm

So, you are saying @Mikie is Swamp Thing? Hmm
Yes.
upload_2024-7-16_19-33-56.png

All true!
I have no pride when it comes to serving. Super happy to help in anyway.
Just want to pull that trail return date to the left as much as possible. :thumbsup:

Approximately 8 weeks ago we had 3 tornadoes touch down in Northwest Arkansas.

… and, my “go to” riding spot only 40 minutes from the house.

;)Mikie

"Only" and "40 minutes" to a ride spot doesn't compute for me but admittedly it's better than the 90 minutes it was to Big Laguna, Big Bear or Idyllwild to ride in trees when I lived in Oceanside.

Last edited:
Every May and June when I was a roadie working dude I would go on the Road to NE Alabama. We had a "T" day at least once a week. They were warnings, and the occasional watch. You got used to watching the corner of the TV where the counties show up in color. Being a so cal guy I live in EQ country, but they never put watches and warnings for EQ's.

Back