The Automobile Thread

main-qimg-7deb546c1968e1d23205b497bc69901e.webp

We decided yesterday that 4 wheel fun was needed.

so we headed up to Cajon Pass to check out the Route 66 shortcut down to Hwy 138. Short segment of dirt road on the original route.

fun to check out something different.
Underneath the railroad bridge…..

7CD7EA9B-7B5B-452D-AAC3-4C508004AA00.jpeg
B27E168B-2447-4CAF-AB98-C8167D2010E7.jpeg

6978EC7E-14CC-4018-9A7D-DE02DE37CA60.jpeg

We’d end up down behind the CHP Scales on the 15 fwy.

6D5E8C3C-1E13-437C-8BEA-E9DEDE0F254A.jpeg
8FC7594B-72BB-443D-8F4A-DB08CB9C2CBE.jpeg

we did a short hike in Crowder Canyon on the SOT which again was part of the original Route 66.

2449B135-27ED-4ADB-8466-F9E8B69DC4D1.jpeg
961C31B9-B75F-47B3-BC1A-45E8C566B526.jpeg
8C9806EF-4A17-42B4-BDCC-724DB966623F.jpeg
E4A36C53-81A2-40F3-98F5-3333F857C8E7.jpeg
A45C4C4A-CD09-4B81-BFB1-825224933497.jpeg

We then headed back up Hwy 138 to Silverwood Lake….hadn’t been there since I was a kid….

DA331A43-D854-446A-84C1-50C7001E4544.jpeg

We continued on and saw dust clouds on the ridge above, saw on the map Pilot Rock Truck Trail, so we headed up. This was listed as a Blue Trail. As we went up it was on the rougher side. It was also no much wider than my truck. It was a fun challenge….until we started running into Quads and Side By Sides coming down. We decided after about 2 miles that it was a bit too tight for us, so we turned around.
2F92B1C5-A6CE-4B23-B73F-6F92A312E7C0.jpeg

the truck is super capable.

We finished r driving through Crestline then down Hwy 18.

fun morning getting out and exploring.

Last edited:
We decided yesterday that 4 wheel fun was needed.

so we headed up to Cajon Pass to check out the Route 66 shortcut down to Hwy 138. Short segment of dirt road on the original route.

fun to check out something different.
Underneath the railroad bridge…..

View attachment 84149 View attachment 84150
View attachment 84151

We’d end up down behind the CHP Scales on the 15 fwy.

View attachment 84152 View attachment 84153

we did a short hike in Crowder Canyon on the SOT which again was part of the original Route 66.

View attachment 84158 View attachment 84154 View attachment 84155 View attachment 84156 View attachment 84157

We then headed back up Hwy 138 to Silverwood Lake….hadn’t been there since I was a kid….

View attachment 84159

We continued on and saw dust clouds on the ridge above, saw on the map Pilot Rock Truck Trail, so we headed up. This was listed as a Blue Trail. As we went up it was on the rougher side. It was also no much wider than my truck. It was a fun challenge….until we started running into Quads and Side By Sides coming down. We decided after about 2 miles that it was a bit too tight for us, so we turned around.
View attachment 84160

the truck is super capable.

We finished r driving through Crestline then down Hwy 18.

fun morning getting out and exploring.

There's a boatload of water in that lake, considering the drought conditions.....

I used to ride from Silverwood lake to Lake Arrowhead ( or near Arrowhead Lake ) back in the day on my 1982 Suzuki RM 125. My wife drove my 1972 220 Diesel Mercedes at the time and I drove her 1971 Ford Ranger truck. I was heavy at the time so I rode the road up and the singletrack trails back down. I was usually by myself. And not long after I bought my first 500 cc 2 smoker. 1984 Husqvarna 500 Automatic- and then visited the hospital twice within 12 months. Boy that 500 was fast!

So normally it’s $56K and they more than doubled the price, but you know some will pay that price.

Yep....I'm car shopping with zero actual "need". My wife has finally quit working and moved Prescott full time. We sold her Audi A3 and I'd like to get her something a lil' nicer and larger than my Subaru Crosstrek. We went down to PHX and looked at everything we could. The first thing relearned is the inventory info you see on Cars.com, TrueCar.com and even the dealers website is absolutely worthless. One Toyota dealers website claimed they had SIX Highlanders with the Hybrid engine. I reached out to them and the internet sales manager "I can't tell you the last time I saw a hybrid on the ground here". EVERY dealer of EVERY brand said most new cars are either ordered or sold while in transit. Finding a dealer not selling over MSRP isn't easy and that applies to whether you are ordering or buying off the lot. We found two Toyota dealers doing so.

The KIA dealers were the worst that we experienced, they wanted $10K over sticker for both the Telluride (which we decide is too big for our needs) and the Sorrento. One Toyota dealer had a new TRD Pro 4Runnner and aside for the $10K over sticker, they also had the most obscenely absurd "added protection package" of door edge trim, door handle cup trim (think Invisiframe but maybe $10 worth) and nitrogen in the tires for $3995!!!! :facepalm::bang::Roflmao

Anyone besides @Obsidian looking at the new Z? You may need to save up a little bit more than you thought....

View attachment 84172
On paper it seemed like a good proposition with a lot to like. Early reality seems to indicate anything but. Around the same track 1.5 seconds slower than a Civic Type R and 0.5 seconds slower than a GR86, both of which can be found for 10k+ cheaper
$ for $ it gets absolutely spanked by the Toyota A91 Supra, which also easily gaps it in a straight out drag race as well.

I realise the others aren't available in manual, some are fwd, etc etc but imo that's a hell of a lot of performance to give up for the money you are paying. (Ignoring that grossly inflated dealer pricing :eek:)

The fanbois will love it though and leap to its defense I'm sure :p
hxcq98sm6fi91.jpg

Yep....I'm car shopping with zero actual "need". My wife has finally quit working and moved Prescott full time. We sold her Audi A3 and I'd like to get her something a lil' nicer and larger than my Subaru Crosstrek. We went down to PHX and looked at everything we could. The first thing relearned is the inventory info you see on Cars.com, TrueCar.com and even the dealers website is absolutely worthless. One Toyota dealers website claimed they had SIX Highlanders with the Hybrid engine. I reached out to them and the internet sales manager "I can't tell you the last time I saw a hybrid on the ground here". EVERY dealer of EVERY brand said most new cars are either ordered or sold while in transit. Finding a dealer not selling over MSRP isn't easy and that applies to whether you are ordering or buying off the lot. We found two Toyota dealers doing so.

The KIA dealers were the worst that we experienced, they wanted $10K over sticker for both the Telluride (which we decide is too big for our needs) and the Sorrento. One Toyota dealer had a new TRD Pro 4Runnner and aside for the $10K over sticker, they also had the most obscenely absurd "added protection package" of door edge trim, door handle cup trim (think Invisiframe but maybe $10 worth) and nitrogen in the tires for $3995!!!! :facepalm::bang::Roflmao

Check out Mazda. I've had two of them so far, and pretty happy with them. And they don't break the bank. Looks like you have options there in PHX.

I'm at the point in my life where a vehicle is a way to get from point A to point B, and I have a hitch rack for the bikes...and I can rent the Home Depot truck if I need one. :cool:

Other than that, I don't care. Just a thought.

Check out Mazda. I've had two of them so far, and pretty happy with them. And they don't break the bank. Looks like you have options there in PHX.

I'm at the point in my life where a vehicle is a way to get from point A to point B, and I have a hitch rack for the bikes...and I can rent the Home Depot truck if I need one. :cool:

Other than that, I don't care. Just a thought.

Thanks...I generally feel the same way and we actually have a Mazda dealer (Galpin) here in Prescott. My wife just took off today to spend (2) weeks with our daughter and granddaughter. When she gets back, we may look around some more. My wife loved her Audi A3 and we never had a single issue with it so I'm currently online looking for a Q5 Quattro. If we had a local Audi dealer, it would be a no brainier but the closest is 85 miles south in Peoria. I'm also not 100% I can get a hitch installed on it but odds are favorable. I only casually contacted (2) dealers online and neither of them had a mark-up, one of them even was selling a car for $1000 *under MSRP. Shocking!!!

On paper it seemed like a good proposition with a lot to like. Early reality seems to indicate anything but. Around the same track 1.5 seconds slower than a Civic Type R and 0.5 seconds slower than a GR86, both of which can be found for 10k+ cheaper
$ for $ it gets absolutely spanked by the Toyota A91 Supra, which also easily gaps it in a straight out drag race as well.

I realise the others aren't available in manual, some are fwd, etc etc but imo that's a hell of a lot of performance to give up for the money you are paying. (Ignoring that grossly inflated dealer pricing :eek:)

View attachment 84174
But it's two tenths faster than the Acura TLX Type-S! Surely that's worth something?! :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

Thanks...I generally feel the same way and we actually have a Mazda dealer (Galpin) here in Prescott. My wife just took off today to spend (2) weeks with our daughter and granddaughter. When she gets back, we may look around some more. My wife loved her Audi A3 and we never had a single issue with it so I'm currently online looking for a Q5 Quattro. If we had a local Audi dealer, it would be a no brainier but the closest is 85 miles south in Peoria. I'm also not 100% I can get a hitch installed on it but odds are favorable. I only casually contacted (2) dealers online and neither of them had a mark-up, one of them even was selling a car for $1000 *under MSRP. Shocking!!!

I’ll make you a sweet deal on a 2020 Audi A4 Crossroad. You can put a hitch on it. :D You’ll just have to be okay with a loud audible SOS fault alarm going off every five minutes while driving, the instrument panel intermittently going blank, the Bluetooth phone connectivity no longer working and the navigation no longer working. The dealer can’t repair it because the part is on back order with no ETA and they won’t give us a loaner. Currently working on a buy back with Audi with the next step being engaging a lemon law attorney. First and last Audi that we’ll ever own. Here’s what the navigation screen looks like. :bang:

C63DEC20-7F64-44A5-9D37-98CFAAFDCA19.jpeg

I’ll make you a sweet deal on a 2020 Audi A4 Crossroad. You can put a hitch on it. :D You’ll just have to be okay with a loud audible SOS fault alarm going off every five minutes while driving, the instrument panel intermittently going blank, the Bluetooth phone connectivity no longer working and the navigation no longer working. The dealer can’t repair it because the part is on back order with no ETA and they won’t give us a loaner. Currently working on a buy back with Audi with the next step being engaging a lemon law attorney. First and last Audi that we’ll ever own. Here’s what the navigation screen looks like. :bang:

View attachment 84175

Bummer...

View attachment 84175
Sorry to hear that it only seems to be getting worse. The dealership really shat the bed with the loaner thing. My gut says that AOA will take care of you. I sure hope so.

View attachment 84174
As an aside, I like the Throttle House guys. Their Aventador SVJ video is great.

View attachment 84174

I am not too surprised. I am simplifying, but Nissan took a 14 year old chassis, dropped in an engine with 60ish more HP, swapped out the front and rear bumpers, added a grip of interior parts from their Infinti's, softened the suspension and called it a new car. I am not too interested myself. Now that the Supra will be getting a stick, I would consider that, a Civic Type-R or even the Toyota 86 before this one.

On the positive, it is a turbo so it will be easy and cheap to make it go a lot faster and the soft suspension will be solved by the aftermarket. There will certainly be a grip of extremely fast Z's on the road in the not too distant future. I personally don't have the time nor inclination to mess around modding cars at my age though.

Nissan could solve the problems in the next MY ... but considering they never did anything to the 370Z in 14 years other than some cosmetic refreshes, that seems unlikely.

There will certainly be a grip of extremely fast Z's on the road in the not too distant future. I personally don't have the time nor inclination to mess around modding cars at my age though.
That was basically the gist of the Throttle House review :Roflmao

Yep....I'm car shopping with zero actual "need".
If you are in that position, then just find a decent dealer to order through. You can probably find one that will cut a good deal as long as you are willing to wait for delivery. Screw the stupid markups. People lack patience. "A fool and his money are soon parted".

we did a short hike in Crowder Canyon o
The girlfriend and I run from the McDonalds towards Silverwood lake fairly often, especially in spring and fall. Very nice section and very runnable. We call it the SOT marathon since the out and back is basically 26 miles. The trail going the other way is great too. We love finding new ST to run about as much as we do to ride.

Score at the pick a part yesterday
Which one do you use? Last one I went to everything was picked clean, tons of "professionals" out there stripping parts off cars. Literally a waste of time for an enthusiast.

Noticed that @Sidewalk hasn't posted a pick of his Rubi, must be having way too much fun driving it.
Haven't taken too many photos yet. Haven't really done much with it besides toss a bike rack on it and use it for errands where the ambulance is too inconvenient. Might be a while before I really start playing around off road since it takes away from my riding time :confused:

Did take it to Lone Pine and camp in the Alabama Hills. I didn't really go off the beaten path, nothing you couldn't have taken a CUV, but it was nice being able to go somewhere I couldn't take the Ambo and get away from everyone else. I will have its day!

Back