Pedals: Flats or Clip In

What kind of pedals should I put on my new Trek Fuel EX 7?

• Total voters
Clip-ins? Never tried them. I can think of numerous instances where I would've fallen over with clip-ins. Flats for me. I'm clumsy at best.
You, my friend, sell your abilities short all the time. You are the friggin' wheelie master! You can wheelie your incredibly over-laden bike for days. Clumsy people can't do that.

I believe he term clipless is referring to the old over the shoe pedal clips that were used eons ago.
You mean these?

Toe Clips.png

Yes, in the 80s and early 90s we used "toe clips" thus, when the pedal binding was invented, it was referred to as clipless. But that term is meaningless 30 years later when people are either clipped in or using (spikey) flats.

BTW, since these hung upside down when there was no foot in it, you had to get good at flipping the pedal over and entering the clip at the same time. My wife was brilliant at this move. I credit her little feet.

Last edited:
You mean these? Oh shoot - can't find my photo.

Yes, in the 80s and early 90s we used "toe clips" thus, when the pedal binding was invented, it was referred to as clipless. But that term is meaningless 30 years later when people are either clipped in or using (spikey) flats.

If they cannot bunny hop rattlesnakes in flats ... they made the wrong choice.

If they cannot bunny hop rattlesnakes in flats ... they made the wrong choice.
I don't normally ride flats, but I could bunny hop a rattlesnake on my DH bike with flats. Bunny hopping a 42 lb DH bike wasn't easy because your downward energy is absorbed by the suspension, so it's like trying to jump off a pile of pillows. Yay me!

I agree that those who ride clipped in should spend enough time on flats to learn to bunny hop and jump without their feet blasting off the pedals. It is a self critiquing exercise, since failure results in nasty scratches on your shins or calf.

I don't normally ride flats, but I could bunny hop a rattlesnake on my DH bike with flats. Bunny hopping a 42 lb DH bike wasn't easy because your downward energy is absorbed by the suspension, so it's like trying to jump off a pile of pillows. Yay me!

I agree that those who ride clipped in should spend enough time on flats to learn to bunny hop and jump without their feet blasting off the pedals. It is a self critiquing exercise, since failure results in nasty scratches on your shins or calf.

I use my pedals (clipped in), my seat, and my bar for control and maneuvering of the bike. I do have the XT M8100 pedals because I like the larger contact area. It helps when I need to lift and move the back end of the bike over things.

I am comfortable riding both. Actually have more miles logged riding clipped in. I occasionally switch back and forth, but prefer flats.

My question for all you clipped in riders. How many of you have gone full scorpion with the bike still attached (unable to unclip) when crashing with forward momentum? I know I have at least a few tines. My worst crash/injury was like that. Came up short on a jump @ Snow Summit. My back wheel cased the knuckle, I got bucked forward. Couldn't unclip, tried to tuck and roll with bike still attached. Wound up compressing my C5, C6, & C7. Still bothers me to this day. Would it have been different had I been on flats? Absolutely! I would have still eaten shiate, but I think the outcome wouldn't have been so bad. Is that why I mostly ride flats now? No. I hate walking (HAB) with cleated shoes. I feel like a tap dancer. And, the extra weight on my feet is annoying. It feels like I have lead weights on them. Maybe I'll give them another chance...when the snow thaws.:bang:

I am comfortable riding both. Actually have more miles logged riding clipped in. I occasionally switch back and forth, but prefer flats.

My question for all you clipped in riders. How many of you have gone full scorpion with the bike still attached (unable to unclip) when crashing with forward momentum? I know I have at least a few tines. My worst crash/injury was like that. Came up short on a jump @ Snow Summit. My back wheel cased the knuckle, I got bucked forward. Couldn't unclip, tried to tuck and roll with bike still attached. Wound up compressing my C5, C6, & C7. Still bothers me to this day. Would it have been different had I been on flats? Absolutely! I would have still eaten shiate, but I think the outcome wouldn't have been so bad. Is that why I mostly ride flats now? No. I hate walking (HAB) with cleated shoes. I feel like a tap dancer. And, the extra weight on my feet is annoying. It feels like I have lead weights on them. Maybe I'll give them another chance...when the snow thaws.:bang:

I have my tension set just enough to keep my feet attached when climbing. It took a few months to figure the correct tension and I do know how many clicks from full soft to set them at. I remember the advice: heel out to escape.
The last superman I did on a trail was at 35mph and my feet came out of the pedals fine. me on the other hand didn't do so well when I hit the deck.

Chics dig scars. They get wooed by the stories connected to them.

My research over 35 years of riding, 29 of them on Shimano SPD's, is that 98% of those clipped in will admit they have fallen over at some point or another when they were unable to get their foot out. The other 2% are liars. The key is not falling over or not being able to get unclipped when it might be incredibly dangerous to do so. Fortunately, that's usually the case.

Calling BS here on the 2% comment!

Back