Mt baldy.. someone here rode it to the summit?

I’ve ridden to the summit of Baldy 4 times. It is a blast to ride the backbone trail up and Bear trail down. 6k down over 6 miles. My brakes do get hot and force me to stop to cool down. Going down the ski hut trail is not so fun in the upper section.
Awe ..that would be doable and fun... Baldy bowl trail aka ski but trail would not be...
Is the bear trail that continues on the ridge west.. goes to baldy village...
Umm ..new possibilities opening up in my mind..
Thanks!!!!!

Ddd...
I took a spin at oaks..
I never have to walk there...
I walked alot...
My thigh n calf still sore... Hiking and biking a bit different...

Weak sauce for nugget please

Just chked map.. up to ski area.. across backbone devil's... To the summit..hab last part and down bear canyon trail...
That would be feasible and not crazy!!!
On the list!!!!!

Just chked map.. up to ski area.. across backbone devil's... To the summit..hab last part and down bear canyon trail...
That would be feasible and not crazy!!!
On the list!!!!!
That’s it! You used to be able to get breakfast at the ski lodge on the way up. Not sure if that is still an option. The Baldy lodge is right at the end for a couple beers and burger. You will have earned them.

I’ve ridden to the summit of Baldy 4 times. It is a blast to ride the backbone trail up and Bear trail down. 6k down over 6 miles. My brakes do get hot and force me to stop to cool down. Going down the ski hut trail is not so fun in the upper section.
I was there one of those four times. What a climb! The last mile was the hardest. Not enough oxygen for my gasping lungs.:gag:
baldy 2013 a.jpg

baldy 2013 c.jpg

Hiked it today w my daughter...
11 miles
4000 feet
Fantastic hike

View attachment 65689
1000+ year old Limber Pine. Prime example of climate. Most of our oldest trees live in a harsh environment. The top of the White mtns is a winter desert with the water locked as ice 9 mos of the year. Baldy and West Baldy have the same except the ice begins to turn into water in May and freezes again in October. Which is about 4 1/2 months of non winter. We humans are so wimpy this is the inconvenient truth. The top of San Gorgonio is so harsh the limber pines do not grow above the boulder height. I saw the newest photos from skyline, it is still frozen up there.
But the high country is something to love.
Happy 10,000 ft+ trails

ski hut trail is an ancient glacier carved valley. It was cool on the so cal bight

After hiking Mt Baldy a couple of weeks ago, I’ve completely lost enthusiasm for riding it. It would be a serious grind and I’d end up HABing half of it. No Bueno. View attachment 66884

I'm seriously considering riding to where Turkey Shoot hits Devil's Backbone, lock up the bike, hoof it to the summit, turn around.

Starting from Glendora, of course.:)

Last edited:
OC Pop I was thinkin similiarly... why would one want to hab all the way up there and take the bowl hiking trail down.. all loose and no flow... but instead of going down that trail/ (picture) some have suggest keep going straight and take the trail that heads away from the ski area.. towards mt baldy village.. it follows a ridge, not the bowl....
I'm thinking of doing it and suffering but good suffering when timing is right....
(save your legs for DDD's ultimate shuttle....)

OC Pop I was thinkin similiarly... why would one want to hab all the way up there and take the bowl hiking trail down.. all loose and no flow... but instead of going down that trail/ (picture) some have suggest keep going straight and take the trail that heads away from the ski area.. towards mt baldy village.. it follows a ridge, not the bowl....
I'm thinking of doing it and suffering but good suffering when timing is right....
(save your legs for DDD's ultimate shuttle....)
I agree, going down the bowl trail would be a drag. The loop would be a suffer fest. Drag uphill then drag downhill. :gag:

It sounds like @Hattrick knows the area (TFPU, dood!), and I like the look of the Bear trail descent. No shuttle, just park in the Village and knock out some road first thing.

Anyone likes the sound of that, cough up your preferred date in August and I'll post it. I'm happy to go solo, too. Thanks to everyone posting up here! :thumbsup:

It sounds like @Hattrick knows the area (TFPU, dood!), and I like the look of the Bear trail descent. No shuttle, just park in the Village and knock out some road first thing.

Anyone likes the sound of that, cough up your preferred date in August and I'll post it. I'm happy to go solo, too. Thanks to everyone posting up here! :thumbsup:
I've been itching to do this again.

I’ll come to cheer you along, grand tour style. Then you can interconnect to Barrett Stoddard or Sunset Ridge all the way to the foothills.

Last edited:
Damn, I know it’s going to hurt, But... if it’s towards the end of August, I may be up for it.
It won’t hurt any more than other things most people don’t want to do. :geek: If climbing mountains didn’t take some fortitude, imagine the crowds. :cry::)

I don’t know the area well, been to Baldy Bowl in winter. Riding up the road to connect Backbone and Bear trails seems like minimal PITA for a shuttle-free loop, but I’m open to other shuttle-free ideas.

Last edited:
Back