Mt baldy.. someone here rode it to the summit?

Hiked it today w my daughter...
11 miles
4000 feet
Fantastic hike

IMG_20200601_101733.jpg

Just read strands post..
Can't really appreciate what he did unless u been there urself...
I believe he went down baldy bowl trail?
That is about 4000 drop in 5 miles... Basically straight down..
We talking nasty steep WALKing trail...
Yeah.. I'll pass on ever riding that trail...
Kinda like wildhorse in steroids

Every time I've done The Plunge, we 've passed multiple riders riding UP to do that ride as a loop. Same with The Whole Enchilada in Moab. I'm sure @Sidewalk would relish either or those rides.

I'm looking for the book...it's a Southern Sierra something-or-other, and (I think) not one of the Douglass/McTigue series...anyway... The author of this book tried to ride Cannell as a loop back in late '80s (?) by riding up Sherman Pass Rd and doing the whole Cannell Trail. On the 3rd (!) day, he abandoned his bike after getting lost in the jiggery-pokery below Cannell Meadow, and bushwhacked his way down to town.

I've tried riding up Cannell but only made it a few miles up, above those manky, rutted switchbacks.

I'm looking for the book...it's a Southern Sierra something-or-other, and (I think) not one of the Douglass/McTigue series...anyway... The author of this book tried to ride Cannell as a loop back in late '80s (?) by riding up Sherman Pass Rd and doing the whole Cannell Trail. On the 3rd (!) day, he abandoned his bike after getting lost in the jiggery-pokery below Cannell Meadow, and bushwhacked his way down to town.

I've tried riding up Cannell but only made it a few miles up, above those manky, rutted switchbacks.
I think when they say riding up, they mean up the road to the pass. Then jumping on the trail to make it a loop. That is a long azz day...

Doubt that based on the business he owned.
Talked to him last night. He's splitting time between Newport and Coronado Island. Trying to find ways to keep people employed. He says he and his wife are riding quite a bit, and he often rides Laguna with his prior riding buddies. Still lovin' the Foes Mixer and loving the fact that WC DHers are winning races on the mixed wheel (mullet) format).

"Miss the IMTB crew - some great folks and great memories."

I suggested he jump back in.

I’ve ridden to the summit of Baldy 4 times. It is a blast to ride the backbone trail up and Bear trail down. 6k down over 6 miles. My brakes do get hot and force me to stop to cool down. Going down the ski hut trail is not so fun in the upper section.

I’ve ridden to the summit of Baldy 4 times. It is a blast to ride the backbone trail up and Bear trail down. 6k down over 6 miles. My brakes do get hot and force me to stop to cool down. Going down the ski hut trail is not so fun in the upper section.
Hey! Get back into your lurker hole! We don't condone the occasional contribution if it lacks political overtones, religious condemnation, and environmental shaming!

Back