Gx sram or xt Shimano?

Seems to me it's come down to personal preference. I've been running SRAM shifting for a long time and really like it. Their cassettes and chains last much longer (at the XO level). They last impressively long. I've run Shimano brakes a long time and like them more than SRAM, but not love them. Then I setup a set of CODE RS brakes with HS2 rotors and metallic pads and have been impressed for more than 1500 miles on those brakes. Best benefit is no wandering bite point.

So, I mentioned that I WAS SRAM shifting and Shimano brakes. Recently I came into a set of Level Stealth 4-piston and CODE Stealth brakes (the new ones with the master cylinder really close to the bars) and I'd say Shimano is really in trouble. SRAM is now at least the equal of Shimano in brakes and I prefer them overall in shifting. Don't get me wrong, I would be completely happy with an XT or bike or even an SLX bike, but I now prefer an all SRAM system. At east Shimano still leads in pedals!

Much ink has been spilled about Shimano "off-on" feeling brakes. I have NEVER felt that. I can modulate with reckless abandon. I can comfortably creep down steep rock rollers, go heavy on the front brake at high speed, or trim the rear without skidding. Yay me!

I've had Shimano brakes since their significant redesign (Shimano XT or XTR Trail) around 2013 and have never felt an on-off feel. Conversely, the SRAM brakes that have been on bikes I've demo'd have all felt weak and mushy to me. The fact that you feel you have to increase rotor size to get the stopping power you want confirms that.

It's probably mostly people who go from one to the other. I have xt on my Rockhopper, and sometimes after riding the fuse a lot (G2's) and jumping on the rockhopper I scare myself the first few times I brake... but then it all goes back to normal.

Back