E-bikes (be careful)

know your battery and charger bms. This story, as all ai generated click bait links... only captures a tiny part of the story. You need to be just as careful with your ebike battery as you are with your cell phone, laptop and/or shady ecig batteries (yuk). Cheap cells do not have a protection circuit built into the cells, nor does the battery or charger have sophisticated protection circuits. Moral of the story, don't buy cheap crap with lithium batteries, and if you have an old device with a lithium battery, in your house that you have gone more then 4-6 months without out checking it and/or charging it... get it out of your house immediately. Lithium batteries want to live between 20%-80% and do not want to be over charged or discharged, don't charge your devices when not at home and don't leave them off or on a charger for extended periods of time.

Yeah - not clicking on that...

Nothing wrong with it. Just a video of firemen talking about an eBike fire that killed two siblings in New York, and how these fires are usually explosions of fire. The rest of the video is them giving advice on using the proper chargers, not to charge them overnight or unattended, etc.

They also said they had 59 fires so far this year that were caused by the batteries in "mobile transport devices" and five fatalities.

Government:

Provide consumer protections from absolutely random products from entering the US in the first place? Nah...

Reflexively restrict and ban entire categories of products based on the lowest tier zero-QC stuff that enters the US? Yes!

Media:

Well rounded discussion about eBikes, their limits and restrictions and products to watch out for? Nah...

YOUR EBIKE MIGHT BE PUTTING YOUR FAMILY AT RISK, HERE MORE AT 11

Battery management is a huge issue, and I like to keep my e bike charged at the appropriate 80% level. A smart charger is VERY important for battery management, and as mentioned above, don't scrimp there! It pretty much does everything I need at that charge range, but gives me reassurances that it will have the longevity and reliability I need over time. My current set up is below, anyone curious about the particulars should feel free to ask any follow up questions! There are no dumb questions...

p4pb10035894.jpg

Last edited:
I have lots of flashlights, headlights and lanterns all use 18650s or AA/AAA Eneloops. Using a "smart" charger, regularly discharge test them and anytime they get warm while charging/discharging, they get recycled.
If capacity is < 2/3 of rated capacity, they get recycled. If anything comes with a cell, I'd discharge test and more often than not, recycle them. They're usually laptop pulls.

Back