Amazing People You Meet on the Trails

This one is a loose interpretation at best of people met on the trails...
My mom is a 74 year old hiker she gets out on the trails and does a pretty good job of hiking out 5 miles and then back. She has a knee replacement and is one tough girl.
She has a friend that she met up in Oakhurst (just outside of Yosemite) who is 84 years old who also hikes, scuba dives, and various other outdoor activities. He invited us up to Oakhurst over the weekend to cut up some free oak firewood.
He ran a chainsaw for nearly 4 hours straight and then sat down and split wood for an hour and a half.

I gotta tell you, my Mom inspires me. She has a "Can Do" attitude and she will get it done, whatever it is. Jerry was a gracious host and a hard working guy, at age 84 he is one amazing guy...
firewood.jerry.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every ride will encounter noteworthy thing more or less, more importantly, I was not impressed by the event itself, but by these people's vitality and joy. :)

shesabikelover said:
Every ride will encounter noteworthy thing more or less, more importantly, I was not impressed by the event itself, but by these people's vitality and joy. :)
Very poetic...bravo! :clap:

ridinrox said:
shesabikelover said:
Very poetic...bravo! :clap:

It's like reading Confucius... Here are some Mt Biking inspired Mr C quotes:

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. :twisted:

Not that amazing really, but kinda coincidental.... taking a break at 4 corners Whiting today, I hear a couple riders conversing in the French language, so I chatted with them some (in english). Come to find, they don't even follow pro DH racing. Still, what's the chances...

shesabikelover,
왜 당신이 당신이 누구 의 모든 질문 을 회피 한다 , 당신은 당신이 타고 싶은 곳 , 어떤 자전거를 타고 ? 왜 여기 ? 더 해를 의미 하지 않는 경우 당신은 매우 환영 머물 ...
wae dangsin-i dangsin-i nugu ui modeun jilmun eul hoepi handa , dangsin-eun dangsin-i tago sip-eun gos , eotteon jajeongeoleul tago ? wae yeogi ? deo haeleul uimi haji anhneun gyeong-u dangsin-eun maeu hwan-yeong meomul ...

Why is it you evade all the questions of who you are, what bike you ride, where you like to ride? Why are you here? You a very welcome to stay if you mean no harm...

Back in the mid 90s a friend and I were climbing Mt. Lowe Rd. for the first time (this the time I found the gem that is Sam Merrill). About half way up my buddy and I decided to take a break and check the map to see how much further. When a guy in a "Men in Black" type suite comes stumbling out of the bushes. This was probably around 10am and it looked like we woke him up. The dude had those yellow flowers in his hair and a dazed look on his face. I told my buddy, "I gotta talk to this guy!" I went up to him and asked, "do you know how much further to Inspiration point?" The guy just mumbled some jibberish and pointed to the general area and shuffled his way down the hill. Afterwards I turned to my friend and said, "Well, that just happened". LOL

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not getting many rides in lately, so haven't been getting on here much :( Must do better... but did get a short though routine ride in this morning..

Highlight of the ride was coming across a guy hiking at 4 corners in Whiting carrying a big ass camo backpack. Got to chatting and he says he's in the Army and trying to keep in shape. He's been deployed 4 times and wants to be ready for another. Anyway, this backpack he's carrying he said weighed 90 pounds :eek: I picked it up, damn that's heavy. Quick calculation, that's about the weight of my bike and camelback.... times 2 :gag: And he says in combat the pack and rifle and all the other stuff comes close to 120lb.

He had a few other combat stories that were quite interesting, could have talked to him for awhile but he was itching to get on his way. I thanked him for his service and commended him for his hard work and dedication to our country, and carrying that pack around. He said he mountainbiked too.. some cool people you meet out on the trail....

Back