New Bike Day!

I have a high-end 26er (size large) for sale if anyone is interested.
IMG_5762.png

Good condition, suuuuuper nimble (by today’s standards), and very capable on the rough stuff. 2x10 drivetrain climbs up anything. $1,500 obo.

I've riden my 27.5 Transition Scout all over the southwest. From incredibly rocky New Mexico to flowy Prescott and SLO and it is perfect for me. I ride the Salsa Timberjack, short travel hardtail 29er, on anything from street to gravel to serious XC. It climbs like a goat. Gobbles up the descents, I've never found it wanting. But is tall and I can tell the difference. I like 'em both for different purposes. Bikes are more capable than the pilot.

(Continued from above)

As my hip was deteriorating last year, I found myself riding easier trails with fewer demanding drops or techy climbs. I wondered if it might be time to look for a mid-travel XL 29er for things like Whiting-STT-Luge-Whiting, Joplin, Skyline, Palm Canyon, Wrightwood, Golden Eagle and the like. I popped into BikeCo for some chainlube and asked if they had any XL mid travel 29ers they wanted to sell at a stupid price. They did - a Yeti SB 130 Lunch Ride. $3500 off retail.

After breaking it in by dropping it off my hitch rack at 80 mph in the left lane on my way to Prescott, I took a few rides on it with my deteriorating hip. I could tell I would gel with this bike. It was intuitive. At once precise and forgiving - a rare combination. This initial impression still holds true some 20 rides later. Perfect bike for what I wanted. I think its achilles heel might be climbing ledgy chunk, but I haven't tested that theory yet.

As a full 29er, I do not feel the wheel size in its handling characteristics. I did have to drop to a 28t chainring due to bigger wheels and shorter cranks. So I still have the mullet Rail for gnarlier Laguna Trails and the SB 137 for everything else. An embarrassment of riches.

@Obsidian

Sucks your not loving your new ride!

It's a big bike .. and Santa Cruz at that...

I have had success on both wheel sizes... But doubt I would in that rig...Shorter than you ... To big ..

I went down 20mm in susp when I went from 27.5 (Bronson.. before the new susp) to 29 Spur modern geo...

I can turn fast .. but it is not quite as capable... But also I have to pay attention prep for turn and lean that sucker .. but the reward is carrying speed.

Also think the wheel set is even more critical on a 29 light strong fast... A heavy 29 er wheelset is death by slog...

Weird timing Today I matched A 6 year old Bronson PR on the Spur...on Turtle...

But I could not do it on TnA

Good luck on the journey...

Hmmm, you don't have a modern geo mullet in your arsenal, do you?

Holy Schmoly! Way to dive in! E-Wings, titanium chainring... did I see a titanium H-Bar? Never heard of such a thing.

Which Revel is that? Must be a Ranger since the shock mount is on the top tube.

Did you buy this without test riding? I bought my Revel with no test ride - only reviews and my own sense of what might work for me. Great bike!

Holy Schmoly! Way to dive in! E-Wings, titanium chainring... did I see a titanium H-Bar? Never heard of such a thing.

Did you buy this without test riding? I bought my Revel with no test ride - only reviews and my own sense of what might work for me. Great bike!

A funny thing that I have noticed on the Rangers is how long the seat tube is after it crosses the top tube and people who want longer droppers, it doesn’t go down far enough to get a correct fit, most people then have to get a shorter dropper and a lot of the post will stick out. I’ve dealt with this situation a few times with various customers.

A funny thing that I have noticed on the Rangers is how long the seat tube is after it crosses the top tube and people who want longer droppers, it doesn’t go down far enough to get a correct fit, most people then have to get a shorter dropper and a lot of the post will stick out. I’ve dealt with this situation a few times with various customers.
That's very much like my Epic EVO. with a curved seat tube you are limited on the dropper length. Was limited to 125mm and not near as much drop as I wanted, took a bit but I adjusted to the reduced dropper travel. Which is a definite contrast to my resistance to getting a dropper in the first place anyway, glad I did!

Now IIRC isn't @Runs with Scissors in the resistance mode? Just FYI, I even put one on my Gravel bike.. :eek::cool:

Awesome lookingbuild @JaketheSnake !

That's very much like my Epic EVO. with a curved seat tube you are limited on the dropper length. Was limited to 125mm and not near as much drop as I wanted, took a bit but I adjusted to the reduced dropper travel. Which is a definite contrast to my resistance to getting a dropper in the first place anyway, glad I did!

Now IIRC isn't @Runs with Scissors in the resistance mode? Just FYI, I even put one on my Gravel bike.. :eek::cool:
I have a dropper post on my gravel bike too, but I find that I hardly ever use it.

I remember looking at a cross bike once at the Path years ago and asking the sales guy, if they had any with disc brakes and a dropper.
He looked at me confused and said “No, why would you need those things on a cross bike?”

My size L Hightower cannot fit the One Up 220 that I have on my Tracer. It has the Fox Transfer 170 with still quite a bit of seat post protruding. The issue is, apparently, something to do with the shock mount being so low causing some sort of blockage. That said, when I put both bikes next to each other, the saddle height is not very different between them. I am just a bit lower on the Tracer. Bottom bracket on my Hightower in low position is also much lower than the Tracer, so that contributes.

Last edited:
I have a 170mm dropper on my large Ranger, and with it slammed all the way down, my knees are above my ears. I can't imagine having to go any lower.

Yes those are Roost TI bars https://roostbike.com/product/roost-handle-bars/
Also, bunch of them available on Ali for 1/2 price such as Tiris https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2261800225982000.html
Extralight sub 1kilo wheels coming soon.

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 8.11.40 PM.png

Five weeks later. No KOM's. No PR's.
Big wagon wheels suck. I don't like how they turn. I feel like I am too high up.
My 2017 Tracer is faster and climbs just as well as this thing.

Not loving the new bike from a performance perspective. It does feel softer though, even with less travel. Like a girls bike. I also absolutely loath the fat downtube ... as in hate it.

I will give it until the end of summer. I better see some KOM's or out comes the hammer.

Hopefully you'll adapt in time but 29er's definitely don't turn as well as 27.5 bikes, especially in tighter turns. Even the mullets track much better in the turns. I specifically bought by Switchblade as I wanted a "racier" 29er for the fast, wide open shuttle trails we would be riding on Oregon & Park City MTB trips and it was great for that and much more playful in the corners than I expected. However, no doubt about it, I missed my 27.5 HD5 when the trails got tighter & steeper up in Whistler. I'll be taking both bikes on the next Whistler road trip.

Barely used Esker Elkat, my first carbon frame, scored a great deal on pb classifieds
Long travel mode, 162 rear, 170 fromt
-1 degree wolf tooth geoshift for 64.3 head angle
Super short 425mm chainstay
Dvo topaz, Rockshox Super Yari
Too hot to ride today though
View attachment 94582
Hell yeah! I considered one of those before getting my GG. Will be interested to hear your impressions once you get some rides in.

Barely used Esker Elkat, my first carbon frame, scored a great deal on pb classifieds
Long travel mode, 162 rear, 170 fromt
-1 degree wolf tooth geoshift for 64.3 head angle
Super short 425mm chainstay
Dvo topaz, Rockshox Super Yari
Too hot to ride today though
View attachment 94582
Staying true to your desire for unusual and atypical bikes and components. Good on ya!

Staying true to your desire for unusual and atypical bikes and components. Good on ya!
Ha! Simply came across it on PB classifieds, never heard of it before, did a little quick reserach and jumped on the great deal, its basically new and unused. Geo is spot on-i prefer more conservative reach numbers-exceot for the HA which called for the angleset,. Checks all the boxes, especially the "shock I bought for the Dartmoor Blackbird frame i ordered 4 months ago and never showed up fits this frame too" box

^^^^^ Soooooo...how was it?
will take a few more rides, but so far so good. Sizing and geo seems spot on. Maybe not quite the chunder plow my coiled Rune is, but good enough. playful and snappy handling. Corners nice with the short chainstay. Good suspension behavior while braking. Feels planted amd stable in techy. Cilmbs good., mash and ot moves forward more than sinking into the travel, didnt feel the need for the climb switch. More testing tomorrow AM. Kinda glad that Blackbird frame didnt work out,, spent more but probably a much better frame

Back