You've got to be f-ing kidding me...detached retina

I have been wearing multi-focal contacts for over 5 years. They are ok and I can get by with some up close reading, but it's still easier to throw on readers when working on my computer.
I had to choose. I choose up close because I was on the computer all the time. There are times I wish I gone the other way. Reading is good though. Lights at certain angles are a pain. I hate super bright headlights.

ps - on 4th of July you can walk around telling pirate jokes. ;)

I had to choose. I choose up close because I was on the computer all the time. There are times I wish I gone the other way. Reading is good though. Lights at certain angles are a pain. I hate super bright headlights.

ps - on 4th of July you can walk around telling pirate jokes. ;)

Sept 19th is just around the corner...

Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day.png

Stunning.@BrokenChris

Stunning! What else could possibly go wrong?

I would put you on my program ... but you are so set in your clown ideas that it would be ineffective. :Roflmao Forest through the trees or some Sh!t. :bang:
Living up to my screen name!

Wait - are you referring to Stem cells? I’m still waiting for your referral to a stem cell doctor with proven results (that outnumber the deaths and grotesque deformities).

Welcome back. I’ve missed you!

Living up to my screen name!

Wait - are you referring to Stem cells? I’m still waiting for your referral to a stem cell doctor with proven results (that outnumber the deaths and grotesque deformities).

Welcome back. I’ve missed you!

Pretty sure I never announced any sort of departure ... unlike some of the clowns around here. Some of my peeps on Strava said you were running your mouth .... although nobody said you were a one eyed wonder at this point. Would have been awkward had I invited you to my 4th ride. :ninja:

You did not even look into those stem cells did you? Did you ever follow that Shane Dorian page I posted for you? Clown. :Roflmao

Last edited:
Pretty sure I never announced any sort of departure ... unlike some of the clowns around here. Some of my peeps on Strava said you were running your mouth .... although nobody said you were a one eyed wonder at this point. Would have been awkward had I invited you to my 4th ride. :ninja:

You did not even look into those stem cells did you? Did you ever follow that Shane Dorian page I posted for you? Clown. :Roflmao

I'm only running my mouth for you, my friend. :inlove: But at least I don't call people names. What are you, 8? What's next - poo-poo head? :sneaky:
Well - that's not entirely true - I have been known to call people "asshats" for various versions of rude and clueless behavior.

And Shane Dorian was an early hero of mine when I started surfing 20 years ago. Of course I read it.

What 4th ride? You have my digits - I am very disappointed you didn't reach out so I could have said no and provided yet another excuse not to ride! :D

Follow up appointment today. One month from surgery. I have been pretty stressed about this all week as I have had the same symptoms I had pre-surgery - a shadow in the lower part of my vision, some floaters and "champagne-bubble" dots. The dots and floaters have diminished, but the shadow has me worried - do I still have a partially torn or detached retina? I began to get myself ready emotionally for the idea that I made need another surgery.

I am pleased to report that the doc said everything looks solid! They did about 15 different tests and he said everything is attached and healing nicely! What a relief!

So then I had four questions: When can I wear contacts? When can I do push ups? When can I mt. bike? When can I surf? He thought about it a while and advised the following:

1.) Your eye is still swollen and red, so hold off on the contacts until it's not.
2.) Keep your exercise light, with very little bending over or having your head below your waist. Not much straining. Maybe 25%.
3.) Ride a trainer or ride on smooth terrain at about 25% effort, but give it a couple of weeks before you try anything rough. When you can wear contacts again, you should be able to handle some mild mt. biking. (Like LogJammer and Leprechaun perhaps?)
4.) No surfing yet.

I feel so fortunate! I was convinced I still had a retina tear or detachment and would need additional surgery. Hooray!!!!!

Follow up appointment today. One month from surgery. I have been pretty stressed about this all week as I have had the same symptoms I had pre-surgery - a shadow in the lower part of my vision, some floaters and "champagne-bubble" dots. The dots and floaters have diminished, but the shadow has me worried - do I still have a partially torn or detached retina? I began to get myself ready emotionally for the idea that I made need another surgery.

I am pleased to report that the doc said everything looks solid! They did about 15 different tests and he said everything is attached and healing nicely! What a relief!

So then I had four questions: When can I wear contacts? When can I do push ups? When can I mt. bike? When can I surf? He thought about it a while and advised the following:

1.) Your eye is still swollen and red, so hold off on the contacts until it's not.
2.) Keep your exercise light, with very little bending over or having your head below your waist. Not much straining. Maybe 25%.
3.) Ride a trainer or ride on smooth terrain at about 25% effort, but give it a couple of weeks before you try anything rough. When you can wear contacts again, you should be able to handle some mild mt. biking. (Like LogJammer and Leprechaun perhaps?)
4.) No surfing yet.

I feel so fortunate! I was convinced I still had a retina tear or detachment and would need additional surgery. Hooray!!!!!
Great new Chris :thumbsup::thumbsup:.
It has been tough on all of us having you so detached

4.) No surfing yet.

great news!

4.) No surfing yet.

Just be ready for Wrightwood dahmeet!
(Good news! Very happy to read this…)

Update for my adoring fans:

I met with the doc on Tuesday. After blinding me with a gazillion powerful light beams and peering deep into my skull, he declared that "It looks great. Couldn't be better."

Can I wear contacts again? - Yeah sure. Wear them as long as they are comfortable.
Can I do push ups? - Go for it - but ease into it.
Can I ride a mt. bike? - yeah sure - but again, ease into it. Oh - and try not to crash.
Can I surf? - Could you before? (Everyone's a comedian). Same advice - ease into it.

Hooray me! I'll see if I can find one of my bikes tomorrow and go for a spin. Probably a double Whiting loop or something like that.

I still don't have the proper range of motion in my hip to get up on my surfboard unless I ride switch. But my PT is getting me closer to the target and developed a couple of exercises specifically to return to surfing (with my preferred stance). Double hooray!!!!

Back