Whittier Cyclery Closed?

Racer X

I went by Whittier Cyclery and it was empty and dark. I didn’t stop to read the paper on the door because it looked like their old message, Enter through rear door.

I think that place was there since 1958. I remember the owner’s dad and grandfather working there in the 70s and that sweet Redline BMX hanging in the front window.

I went by Whittier Cyclery and it was empty and dark. I didn’t stop to read the paper on the door because it looked like their old message, Enter through rear door.

I think that place was there since 1958. I remember the owner’s dad and grandfather working there in the 70s and that sweet Redline BMX hanging in the front window.
About 2 weeks ago is when I noticed passing by several trucks in the rear parking lot, I told my wife either Robert is remodeling? Or closing the shop? Passing through about a week later yup, it's unfortunate empty inside!

Bummer.
The new property owners will probably turn it into apartments, since rent is so high these days.
I went in there once maybe 35-40? years ago to check it out when I was looking for a bike shop to call my LBS.
Ended up at LaHabra Cyclery and have been a customer ever since.

I always used Whittier Cyclery from way back as a kid. Had a friend who lived a few blocks away and we used to ride sting ray knock offs in the hills around Murphy Ranch. Then bought my first "mountain bike" there in '85 or '86. Here it is more or less restored to somewhat modern specs.

upload_2023-7-25_9-21-52.jpeg

Used Whittier Cyclery off and on until several years ago when I started meeting guys up on my local trails that worked at La Mirada Cyclery. I went there only occasionally as I always liked to do my own wrenching. But I liked to visit from time to time. Then one buddy moved to Vegas and one thing or another and I haven't been in there for a few years. The way things look now, I may not need any bike service or parts for maybe ever, hard, hard choices coming.

I woke up in the morning, opened the hotel curtain and saw this. A block from BYU. Utah is living the American dream. Nice, new and clean, no homeless camps, no graffiti, no garbage on the streets, no poo, no potholes. What is wrong here. Gas is .75-1.00 a gallon cheaper. Where is my tax money going?

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 4.34.11 PM.png

I woke up in the morning, opened the hotel curtain and saw this. A block from BYU. Utah is living the American dream. Nice, new and clean, no homeless camps, no graffiti, no garbage on the streets, no poo, no potholes. What is wrong here. Gas is .75-1.00 a gallon cheaper. Where is my tax money going?

View attachment 89802

And it's been that way at least since I lived in Salt Lake City. 1984 - 1986. SLC isn't quite as desireable these days - everything west of I-15 was pretty much open space then and is now wall-to-wall people - but it's still indisputably better than California.

Those are facts. Not opinions.

And if you haven't been up Provo Canyon and seen Timpanogos Cave, do it. The hike (okay, walk) alone is worth it.

And it's been that way at least since I lived in Salt Lake City. 1984 - 1986. SLC isn't quite as desireable these days - everything west of I-15 was pretty much open space then and is now wall-to-wall people - but it's still indisputably better than California.

Those are facts. Not opinions.

And if you haven't been up Provo Canyon and seen Timpanogos Cave, do it. The hike (okay, walk) alone is worth it.

I really like SLC and would not mind staying there. But given my last two trips there, the streets are pretty much the worst I've ever experienced I'm my travels, for potholes, dips and overall poor shape.

I really like SLC and would not mind staying there. But given my last two trips there, the streets are pretty much the worst I've ever experienced I'm my travels, for potholes, dips and overall poor shape.

Well, they do have actual winters with freezing temps. That tends to degrade asphalt, and keeping up with it is hit and miss. But they do pretty well. (My older brother lives there and reports back regularly).

As with everyting else, it's priorities. And where you are. Downtown will suck, guaranteed. Outlying areas, probably won't suck quite so badly.

This was Provo, about an hour south of SLC. On my way north I stayed in Provo and cavern was open and free to enter, I almost delayed my departure north, but then I thought about my goals and pushed on to the Snake River. I did cross over the Bear River on its southwards direction.

Last edited:
SLC isn't quite as desireable these days - everything west of I-15 was pretty much open space then and is now wall-to-wall people - but it's still indisputably better than California.

Those are facts. Not opinions..

Wrong - that's an opinion based on what you value and prioritize. If I value summer temps that rarely exceed 80°, access to decent surf, winter temps that don't go below freezing, and year-'round mt biking without having to dress like an eskimo, or risk my life with high temps, where I live is "indisputably" better than SLC.

If your claim of "facts, not opinions" is strictly limited to population density of SLC vs LA and Orange Counties you are probably correct.

Last edited:
Back