Tools

Tom the Bomb

iMTB Rockstah
Well I don't know about you but adding sealant to my wheels is not my favorite project. It is usually a bit time consuming a little messy. Lo and behold he game changer sealant syringe . The KOM CYCLING SEALANT SYRINGE! This thing is great! Pull the core insert the tube inside the stem. suck out the sealant, look at the measurement decide it more is needed. Inject it back in add if necessary , install core pump it up!
No sealant on the core threads , no bead break and much quicker of a job. I did all 4 of my wheels in 30 min. . The cool thing is it's so easy just to check the level. One set was still good on sealant. It even has a shutoff valve.
I actually look forward to this maintenance.

IMG_1255.jpeg

Well I don't know about you but adding sealant to my wheels is not my favorite project. It is usually a bit time consuming a little messy. Lo and behold he game changer sealant syringe . The KOM CYCLING SEALANT SYRINGE! This thing is great! Pull the core insert the tube inside the stem. suck out the sealant, look at the measurement decide it more is needed. Inject it back in add if necessary , install core pump it up!
No sealant on the core threads , no bead break and much quicker of a job. I did all 4 of my wheels in 30 min. . The cool thing is it's so easy just to check the level. One set was still good on sealant. It even has a shutoff valve.
I actually look forward to this maintenance.

View attachment 94631

Or, you can put the bike in the stand and just pop the bead on a quarter of the rim, see what sealant is there, and if needed drop in some sealant, and reseat the bead.

That's my usual way to do it. The abomination above looks like the SRAM brake bleed system. Overly complicated. Not simple, for us simpletons.

I just use one of these Stan's injectors when I'm at home or a small Stan's bottle if I have to add sealant during a ride. Injector screws on the valve stem, or the bottle nozzle fits in it. Generally works pretty well.

I'm not sold on the syringe ability to suck out the sealant. The homebrew I make tends to coat the inner tire without pooling like Stans does. 5-6 years ago I decided to try this MilKit system I saw at REI. Looks similar to what TTB posted above and promised to be the be-all end-all of valve stem systems. It had a special valve between the valve core and rim that would let air in but not let sealant out. It also claimed you could insert the injector through the seal and check the sealant level or add sealant while the tire was still inflated.

Well the valve cores still clogged. And when I tried to check/add sealant with air still in the tire the pressure blew the injector out of my hand and spewed sealant everywhere. But what really caused me to get rid of them is you can't inject sealant through the valve stem without the injector. Since I do a lot of remote rides where I might have to add sealant if I get a tear, it meant I'd have to carry the injector syringe with me. Unless I wanted to break the bead - but that can be risky as you can't always get it to re-seat with a hand pump.

But what really caused me to get rid of them is you can't inject sealant through the valve stem without the injector. Since I do a lot of remote rides where I might have to add sealant if I get a tear, it meant I'd have to carry the injector syringe with me. Unless I wanted to break the bead - but that can be risky as you can't always get it to re-seat with a hand pump.

Isn't that why we carry extra tubes, and a way to boot the tear in the tire?

I just had a gash happen a couple weeks ago, and that was the only solution. It was a mess, but I rode it back to the car.

Isn't that why we carry extra tubes, and a way to boot the tear in the tire?

I just had a gash happen a couple weeks ago, and that was the only solution. It was a mess, but I rode it back to the car.
You could definitely boot it and put a tube in if you have them. That's the fastest way to deal with it what I'd usually do on a day ride.

If I'm bikepacking somewhere remote though I'd probably try to sew it up first with a curved needle and heavy thread and see if I can get it to seal. A repair like this is more likely to let me finish the bikepack than just booting it. And then I still have a tube available if anything else happens. Probably have to add sealant once the tire gets seated again.

Maybe I should have said puncture instead of tear though. I've seen people lose a lot of sealant from those if it is a bad puncture.

More often for me sealant goes dry because I have been slacking, and when I get a thorn or puncture adding some sealant and maybe a plug is all that's needed to get going again.

This option had absolutely never occured to me, though it should have.

I've just never carried a suture kit on a ride. Makes sense, though.
It's really a bikepacking thing. And not everyone uses it. But it can come in handy. Had to search but Schillingsworth had some good pics of it in use in this trip report:

See? This thread is why I never ride more than a mile from my car! ;) :unsure:
There are days when the wife is home and I ask her to listen for her phone to ring in case I have a break down on the bike. It's those days where I just don't feel like lugging around anything other than a multi-tool that fits into my pocket. I'm never riding far from home (and always pedaling from home) in these cases.

Back