The Tornado thread!

BonsaiNut

iMTB Rockstah
Never had a tornado in SoCal. I'm here to tell you - they are highly under-rated!! Nothing like a stiff breeze to get the heart pumping!

tornado2.jpg

torn1.jpg

torn2.jpg

torn3.jpg

Glad you're OK, Bonsai... :thumbsup:

We used to get the occasional small twister in WNY, and also water spouts on Lake Erie. But it wasn't until February 1998 in Florida that I saw a big one. As Scissors says above, it was attracted to the trailer parks. :thumbsdown: It leveled one across the street from my school district's main office building. If my memory is correct, one trailer was found over 4 miles away. It also took out a couple strip malls, and several neighborhoods along the way. :unsure: Until we hit the hurricane trifecta in 2004, that was the only time I saw school in Central Florida cancelled for weather...

The Weather Channel has a special that they air every now and then on that particular event...

Are you thinking of China Grove, TX?

I think he's going for Doobie Brothers.

My real life tornado story. May have mentioned this previously here. About 1990 or so I lived in a condo in Irvine near IVC when it was still mostly surrounded by orchards and farm fields.
A tornado actually hit our area while I was at work. Our complex had fake concrete streams, so no fences on our patios so we could enjoy our "views".
All my patio furniture ended up in the creek. A few fences in the area got knocked over, some roof shingles ripped off.
Funniest thing was a Yugo (remember those?) got picked up, spun 180° and set down on the sidewalk.

Another one, early Feb '75 or '77 we went to Universal Studios and a good portion of it was closed because it got hit by a tornado the day before.

Sorry to derail the thread, Bonsai. When I looked at your map, and saw that the tornado track ended in . . . China Grove? -couldn't help but start humming the tune!
Back to tornadoes, I've always wanted to see one up close, but I hope to never experience one up close! Stay safe, hombre.

Sorry to derail the thread, Bonsai. When I looked at your map, and saw that the tornado track ended in . . . China Grove? -couldn't help but start humming the tune!
Back to tornadoes, I've always wanted to see one up close, but I hope to never experience one up close! Stay safe, hombre.

I understood where you were going :) As I kid I grew up in the Midwest - in the cornfields west of Chicago. Any time we had a tornado warning, all the kids would run outside and look for the tornado. We never saw one. I find it ironic that we move from SoCal to NC and our property gets hit!

Back