SRAM Force axs XPLR review.

Danimal

iMTB Addict
This might seem like a rant, but it is not. I really like the way it rides, I'm just putting everything out there.

So this is my review of the SRAM axs eTap XPLR. For those not familiar, the axs is electronic shifter and derailleur, hydraulic brakes and their cranks. The XPLR is the gravel grinder specific group that is single chainring with a 10/44 cassette. My set up is the 1271 12 speed 10/44 cassette with a 40 tooth chainring, Force cranks with Power meter and hydraulic brakes.

I'll start by touching on the Rear Derailleur, and cover the Good the Bad and the WTF of the group set.
initial impression when looking is it's an attractive set up as no cable to mess with the view. I also thought it's taking away from the simplicity of a bicycle by adding electronics to it. Well, what the heck it's an upgrade right?

First thing is they say I need to have an APP on your phone to check everything o_O. So installed the app. Oh, they said I need to set up an acct online with sram axs to get info. o_Oo_O OK so set that up.

After this I checked it and apparently needed a firmware update. OK I'll do that, but wait! Before I can do that the battery needs to charge. OK wait an hour for the battery to charge. All right, I can install a firmware update. Now, I get it, but all it has to do is change gears, what could they possible need to update? Who knows, I don't.

All right, now I'm ready to GO!! Off I went. spin the cranks, brake, shift. This is pretty nice, I'll hit the dirt.
I must say the shifting is super nice, the disk brakes are quite good for a roady like bike. The first ride :thumbsup:.

Second ride, after a bit shifting is kind of wonky, seems to be grinding in the 10 tooth. There's an adjustment for trim that will move the rear Der .5mm up or down. this is nice, it's pretty easy too. This is instead of the barrel adjuster.Ok, trim it and seems better, continue to ride.

Third ride, going having fun and then realize it's not going into the 10 tooth at all. hhmmm...look and the cage is loose, really loose where I think it might fall off :thumbsdown:. stop the ride and go home. Email Lauf with a description of the issue. the reply is " it's a loose nut, go to a bike shop". OK, I'll do it myself. Sure enough the nuts that hold the cage to the Der is really loose, almost falling off. So I cleaned, added blue lock tight and tightened the nut. Here is where I need to say that not having a cable maddest REALLY easy to take the rear Der off. One hex nut and it's off! Likewise, putting it back on was really easy, so I say this is a win for service.

So after this I went on ride #4. Off I go. Seems good, then hit a steep hill and the chain comes off the cassette between the low gear and the hub. arrgghhh...pulled it out, and adjusted the low stop screw and used th trim function. Man that was easy. off I went.

Since this no issues with the shifting. All is good. :thumbsup: However, I am not a fan yet if after 35 miles the rear Der falls apart and almost leaves you stranded. Not a good way to start.

I've been checking the App and the website I had to set up. Far as I can tell the web page has ZERO value, the app allows adjustment of how many gears to switch when long press, and can change the left/right controller. Well that's not really true, I can look at the pic I uploaded on my web page and think, oh what a pretty bike.

Now, let's talk about the cranks and Power Meter. Cranks are cranks, they are working as expected, not dropping the chain, stiff, light and attractive too! I like them quite a bit. The Powermeter on the other hand doesn't do anything at all, not a thing except weigh more. You'd think the APP would work with it. Nope! no such luck. Now if I want to buy a head unit for $300-$900 then I can get data off it and look at a graph and think "oh that's pretty". So, I'm torn on this. Buy a head unit, ignore the meter, sell it and put on a regular chainring spider, I don't know.

Anyway, long story short,
Good;
1) this system is fairly simple once set up and works really well.
2) the brakes are pretty good and do what brakes should.
3) Shifting is a touch of a button away!
4) I really like the shifting and smoothness of the drivetrain.

The Bad;
1) 35 miles in and the Rear Derailleur took a Sh!t. NOT confidence inspiring.
2) The website does nothing at all, and the app doesn't work with the PM.
3) I'm sure at some point I'll forget to charge the Battery and not be able to ride.

The WTF,
1) The Power-meter requires an additional purchase of a considerable cost to use it.
2) The APP should sync with the power meter and give you the info, which it does not.
2) information on all of this from SRAM is fragmented, marginal and unclear. It should all be on one form from start to finish on how it works and what to do. And each language should be its own individual form as it's really are hard to read they way it's set now.

I'll update as I move along. My guess is all will be good as I get more miles on it, but for now there are some issues.

Last edited:
Power meter can connect directly to any app like Strava and such to get data. But if you aren't using the data, then it is meaningless. I use power for training, very specific training, and nothing else. Probably a few dozen apps you can use though, but I have a Garmin (any power meter compatible Garmin will work, including older basic models).

I charge the battery every ride.

Shouldn't need the app for anything on setup. I have the app, I never use it.

Back