SOLD! FS: Trek T200 Tandem

Cyclotourist

iMTB Hooligan
--SOLD--

We've the second owners and have had this tandem for the last eight years. It was our third tandem, and I just bought a new one, so this needs to subsidize that one. It's a mid-90's model, I think a '95. Trek also had T50 and T100 models, this was their top of the line tandem. Made in the U.S. of True Temper steel. Sachs/Shimano eight speed drivetrain, with Hope tandem specific cassette hubs. These are the bomb, and along with the Sachs shifters pretty sought after. You can upgrade it to 9, 10, or 11 speed cassette and shifters if you want a more modern drivetrain. Frame has plenty of scuffs from banging around garages for 25 years, but the silver paint really conceals them. It looks fine. Bike itself has low miles. Easily under 1,000. We had it set up with upright bars as a cruiser. Mounted 700x40C tires, fits up to 44mm or so. That's kind of rare on a tandem, and why we bought this one specifically! Size is 58/52, so a large/medium. New cables and bar tape. SPD pedals included. Some really cool features like a pump peg, chain hanger, drag brake cable stops. These are little extras that make it a bit nicer than our new tandem. We bought the new one so we could get wider tires, that's all. This is probably better in every other way.
$400 makes it yours. That's cheaper than a XO1 crankset! Give this a try and see if it works for you and your significant other. A better than zero chance it will lead to riding more together!

50427574378_bb643bd335_b.jpg

50427574373_868a81ab3e_b.jpg

Last edited:
We've the second owners and have had this tandem for the last eight years. It was our third tandem, and I just bought a new one, so this needs to subsidize that one. It's a mid-90's model, I think a '95. Trek also had T50 and T100 models, this was their top of the line tandem. Made in the U.S. of True Temper steel. Sachs/Shimano eight speed drivetrain, with Hope tandem specific cassette hubs. These are the bomb, and along with the Sachs shifters pretty sought after. You can upgrade it to 9, 10, or 11 speed cassette and shifters if you want a more modern drivetrain. Frame has plenty of scuffs from banging around garages for 25 years, but the silver paint really conceals them. It looks fine. Bike itself has low miles. Easily under 1,000. We had it set up with upright bars as a cruiser. Mounted 700x40C tires, fits up to 44mm or so. That's kind of rare on a tandem, and why we bought this one specifically! Size is 58/52, so a large/medium. New cables and bar tape. SPD pedals included. Some really cool features like a pump peg, chain hanger, drag brake cable stops. These are little extras that make it a bit nicer than our new tandem. We bought the new one so we could get wider tires, that's all. This is probably better in every other way.
$400 makes it yours. That's cheaper than a XO1 crankset! Give this a try and see if it works for you and your significant other. A better than zero chance it will lead to riding more together!

More pix: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/sets/72157716286116452

View attachment 69739

View attachment 69741
Oooh....I’m 6’3 and the wife is 5’7...what are the chances I’d be comfortable? It sounds just a tad tight for me...

the wife has always said she prefers having her own machine, but the headwind we fought riding in CO last week has opened her mind a little.

Wow, it looks brand new!
It looks pretty good! Like I said, there are lots of chips, nicks, and rubs when you get up close, but the silver paint matches the bare metal. I covered up the nicks with clear nail polish leftover from my mani-pedis.

Oooh....I’m 6’3 and the wife is 5’7...what are the chances I’d be comfortable? It sounds just a tad tight for me...

the wife has always said she prefers having her own machine, but the headwind we fought riding in CO last week has opened her mind a little.

My wife is 5'7" and I'm 6'0", so you can see what the adjustability is like. Your wife would be more than fine. Up front, the stem is maxed out, but pretty even with my saddle height (79cm). If you want your bars level for a higher saddle height, you would need a new stem (oversized quill style). If you don't mind them a smidge lower, the saddle height is very adjustable. What is your saddle height, I can mock it up.

FYI, below is how we had it set up for our use. I swapped most of it over to our new tandem, and reinstalled the original components that came with the Trek.

Further FYI, your wife will either love it or hate it. Come on over and give it a try and find out. Our very bike friendly friends FREAKED out on the back. Latent control issues! My wife likes it so much she sold her singles as she had no desire to ride solo. YMMV, and you basically have to get on it and try it to see.

27324486566_38452fe426_b.jpg

Last edited:
It looks pretty good! Like I said, there are lots of chips, nicks, and rubs when you get up close, but the silver paint matches the bare metal. I covered up the nicks with clear nail polish leftover from my mani-pedis.

My wife is 5'7" and I'm 6'0", so you can see what the adjustability is like. Your wife would be more than fine. Up front, the stem is maxed out, but pretty even with my saddle height (79cm). If you want your bars level for a higher saddle height, you would need a new stem (oversized quill style). If you don't mind them a smidge lower, the saddle height is very adjustable. What is your saddle height, I can mock it up.

FYI, below is how we had it set up for our use. I swapped most of it over to our new tandem, and reinstalled the original components that came with the Trek.

Further FYI, your wife will either love it or hate it. Come on over and give it a try and find out. Our very bike friendly friends FREAKED out on the back. Latent control issues! My wife likes it so much she sold her singles as she had no desire to ride solo. YMMV, and you basically have to get on it and try it to see.

View attachment 69743
No latent control issues in this house...all the control issues are out in the open...

I think the sizing would be ok set up as a townie, but let Bill take a look, as I’m thinking more of a touring orientation.

No latent control issues in this house...all the control issues are out in the open...

I think the sizing would be ok set up as a townie, but let Bill take a look, as I’m thinking more of a touring orientation.

I don't know of any tandems with larger sizing... they all stop around the 19/20" size up front. Maybe the Cannondale models have an XL? You miiiiight have to go custom. Here's Bob #1 that's pretty hot right now: http://www.bantambicycles.com/pricing and Bob #2 who has always been the guy I wanted to build me a tandem: http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/tandems.htm

I came across this EXACT model for a silly price on PB. Makes you appreciate my friends and family pricing!!!

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2622525/

p6pb17591822.jpg

And this is what I really want, but hah, again with the silly pricing. At 50% of their asking price I would be interested. It's still not quite perfect, as I want Boost spacing, but pretty close!

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2678230/

p6pb17972098.jpg

I'm a neophyte, but what type of carrier is used to transport a tandem (a station wagon or truck could be employed, but a car or SUV)? My wife wonders whether a murder would be committed if we tried one.

I'm a neophyte, but what type of carrier is used to transport a tandem (a station wagon or truck could be employed, but a car or SUV)? My wife wonders whether a murder would be committed if we tried one.
Riding them is a blast. Storage and transportation kinda' sucks. There are Thule and Yakima roof racks, as well as a really cool Draftmaster vertical hitch rack. People figure out a way to make it Fit!

I'm somewhat in the process of figuring out a way to mount a standard truly tanning rack to our factory rails. The rails have that channel down the middle that holds a sort of carriage bolt head. Should be pretty straightforward, I just need to commit to doing it!

--SOLD--

View attachment 69739

View attachment 69741

The Big Bike has found a new home!!! Kept it in the IMTB family, which is pretty cool. Hopefully gets lots of miles put on it!!! The tandem conversation here has been pretty fun if nothing else!

Last edited:
Back