RIP Bill Walton

blixet

From Jason Gay in the WSJ today:

"...Walton believed riding a bike saved his life. As that giant body of his continued to break down, pushing him mentally to the brink, a bicycle was a rare refuge where the pain dissipated and he could feel like himself.

The soulful side of riding a bike—the mind-body connection that can happen when an imperfect human spins an optimal machine, Walton believed in all that. So do I.

“My bike is my medicine,” Walton said. “I’m always sick of something, or somebody, and I know that when I go out on my bike, my bike makes me happy.”

Ride on, Big Fella,

1,000+ Dead shows! That's a lot of travelin'...

3vfezu13v17z.jpg

Thousands of smiling faces are getting them. My wife doesn't get them either. I played some Dead on a little portable cassette player to a Samoan matai in the remote village in which I lived back in the 70s; the old man, while holding a machete, broke out dancing Samoan style right there and then. Surreal.

.../alt-country/outlaw country which I seem to have fallen into.
"Y'all-ternative Rock?"

So name some of the artists in this category. Is this a Noah Kahan thing?

And does it require a Down-Country bike?

PS: I'm not a Grateful Dead fan, and even less of a fan of the drugged up hippie spinners and twirlers that make up the crowd. That said "Touch of Grey" is still one of my very favorite songs from anybody at any time. That sound is just magic.

My jam: Robert Earl Keen, Drive By Truckers, Beat Farmers, Old 97's, Lucinda Williams, Marty Stuart, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt, White Buffalo, Emmylou Harris, Graham Parker, Steve Earle, Dave Alvin, The Flatlanders, Blasters, X, John Hiatt, Amanda Shires.

I really like the Dead's covers of the rootsy and CW songs. They were a fantastic cover band! I'm not into the psychedelic jam-jam drum/space stuff, but their actual songs are great!

Here's a good listen of the original songs: https://open.spotify.com/album/4PNLCXRGT918e6ks8osfE7?si=cd4RzQodQl69ZgN9gSZ3Pw

And here's the Dead at their best:

"Y'all-ternative Rock?"

So name some of the artists in this category. Is this a Noah Kahan thing?

And does it require a Down-Country bike?

PS: I'm not a Grateful Dead fan, and even less of a fan of the drugged up hippie spinners and twirlers that make up the crowd. That said "Touch of Grey" is still one of my very favorite songs from anybody at any time. That sound is just magic.

I really like Touch of Grey as well, but it is the least Deadhead song of all of theirs.
I saw them 20-30 times in High School, College and the next few years. Not into the drug scene at all, just liked a good bit of the music.
My brother toured with them for a few years as part of RockMed.

I saw Walton a couple of times at the Tour of California, seeing on a bike with that crazy headtube sure was a sight.

Injuries shortened what could have been a huge career, as it was he was pretty good.
I found most of his announcing annoying, he would go off on so many tangents, but some gems in there.

Back