Rick (Old Skool) @ 65 B-Day Ride 2024 - Hurkey Creek

Old Skool

I have always tried to put together an annual epic ride with some close friends on the Friday of my November Bday, however, I have missed the last couple of years due to physical issues (discussed on other post's already). This year I am feeling pretty good, with the assist of my moped :sneaky: and want throw out an invite to ya'll for Friday 11/22/2024. I am going on some fresh feedback received from @evdog (see below) on the trail conditions and am going to do Hurkey Creek (weather permitting). I will work on the exact routing and distance in the next few days. Let me know if any are interested in joining me, I am figuring its going to be in the range of 22-25 miles and about 2800' of climbing.

"That info is outdated. Most of Hurkey is back open and riding great. Keen camp climb has been re-done. Missing link/rage/tunnel of love have been reopened. And upper trails like tres, Buena Vista, snakeskin etc have all been worked on as well. The trails have not seen a lot of traffic so they are a bit raw. Everything that is on trailforks is open again. The only exception is exfoliator. To my knowledge that is the only trail that has not been worked on."

I usually don't plan ahead but I already have something planned for that weekend. :facepalm:

If you want to get 20+ miles, I'd start at the bottom at Hurkey (entrance fee) or along Apple Valley Road. Climb Keen Camp Climb and Johnstone Meadow. Head to May Valley Road. Head north on Lazy Bonz and Tres Hombres. Get back on May Valley Road and climb to the top of Logpile. Ride that, and cross over to Snakeskin and follow that around thru Cahuilla Cutoff. Back north briefly on Tres and cross May Valley and take Buena Vista south. Cross May Valley again and take Lazy Bonz. This time turn right at Tres and head south to Bonita Vista fire road. Follow that road east and then head down Missing Link/Rage/Tunnel of Love back to Apple Valley Rd. This should get you 20 miles. If you're feeling spunky you can climb up to Middle Southridge, but that's a hike.

1729778320552.jpeg

I usually don't plan ahead but I already have something planned for that weekend. :facepalm:

If you want to get 20+ miles, I'd start at the bottom at Hurkey (entrance fee) or along Apple Valley Road. Climb Keen Camp Climb and Johnstone Meadow. Head to May Valley Road. Head north on Lazy Bonz and Tres Hombres. Get back on May Valley Road and climb to the top of Logpile. Ride that, and cross over to Snakeskin and follow that around thru Cahuilla Cutoff. Back north briefly on Tres and cross May Valley and take Buena Vista south. Cross May Valley again and take Lazy Bonz. This time turn right at Tres and head south to Bonita Vista fire road. Follow that road east and then head down Missing Link/Rage/Tunnel of Love back to Apple Valley Rd. This should get you 20 miles. If you're feeling spunky you can climb up to Middle Southridge, but that's a hike.
Do you have a Strava link?

...I have missed the last couple of years due to physical issues (discussed on other post's already). This year I am feeling pretty good, with the assist of my moped :sneaky: and want throw out an invite to ya'll for Friday 11/22/2024...
I was there when it started at Bonelli May 2022, and a few weeks ago while HABing down a rocky chute and traversing a canyon of a rut, I hear E-ruckus behind me and turn just in time to see Rick torpedo the ground with his head and shoulders. He gets up, dusts himself off, and prepares for the next corndog a few miles later. Good times!

I'll try to make this but unsure yet.

I know there isn't signage, I wish there were signs.
After not riding there for many years I hear you. But there aren't as many as there used to be (and no where near as many as the Hub). Once you ride here a couple times you'll have it figured out.

After not riding there for many years I hear you. But there aren't as many as there used to be (and no where near as many as the Hub). Once you ride here a couple times you'll have it figured out.
Yep, I can visualize most of the trails noted in your post @evdog. I was going to ask you about Southridge, agreed, its a bitch of a road climb to get to (approx. 20'sh%) in a few spots, but one of the funnest descents to bomb. Have you heard anything about SR?

Last edited:
I was there when it started at Bonelli May 2022, and a few weeks ago while HABing down a rocky chute and traversing a canyon of a rut, I hear E-ruckus behind me and turn just in time to see Rick torpedo the ground with his head and shoulders. He gets up, dusts himself off, and prepares for the next corndog a few miles later. Good times!

I'll try to make this but unsure yet.
:laugh: I have a hard time humbling myself and getting off to HAB, probably why I been so banged up all my life!:whistling:

Thanks @evdog that is the route I will plan on, but may add the climb up to Southridge and down depending on the crew size and capabilities.

Back