Punks

fos'l

My friend was walking across the wooden bridge near Bommer Canyon yesterday late PM and encountered a group of 20 or so no pedal design "e-bikes" riding randomly and making her uneasy. They seem to be proliferating and riding illegally with impunity. Anybody have an idea how this will regress? Please delete if too controversial, but I posted since I'm encountering them frequently on the trails too.

Many will take this the wrong way - as some sort of political statement - and they'll be wrong:

These things will continue to proliferate, same as the "smash and grab" robberies do, because there are no consequences.

We can yammer all we wish about them being bad, wrong, illegal, immoral, scaring both horses and children, but until there are tangible consequences for misdeeds there will be no abatement.

This is a simple statement of facts. Nothing else, and nothing further should be read into it.

Many will take this the wrong way - as some sort of political statement - and they'll be wrong:

These things will continue to proliferate, same as the "smash and grab" robberies do, because there are no consequences.

We can yammer all we wish about them being bad, wrong, illegal, immoral, scaring both horses and children, but until there are tangible consequences for misdeeds there will be no abatement.

This is a simple statement of facts. Nothing else, and nothing further should be read into it.

This is spot on.

Yup. Yes, we need to teach better behavior, but part of teaching is consequences.

I ran into a group of 5 or so kids on electric motos in Aliso. I warned them that motorcycles are illegal in the park and they risk having them confiscated. One genius argued it wasn't a motorcycle because it didn't have a gas tank. He said it was an e-bike. I explained what "motor" means. I asked him to pedal it. He spun his tires (with the throttle) and sped away, along with his tribe of entitled buddies. I so wish the so-called authorities were there to make good on my threat. But, we know that there are no consequences for property crimes and similar malfeasances.

Report it to the land manager and sheriff with details. Time of day, location, number of riders, ages, and what they were doing. Photos if possible.

20 riders will definitely catch peoples attention especially if they are being disrespectful or obnoxious. Land managers can't do anything if they don't know what is going on on their lands.

According to my friend, they all were wearing black clothing, so some sort of a cohesive group. I doubt most of the cities have a large enough budget to police this issue, and the manufacturers aren't helping by producing so-called "legal" bikes that can have their governors defeated easily (if they even have any). I'm surprised "bikes" like the Talaria, which doesn't have pedals and is illegal to ride anywhere except maybe some off road trails, are allowed to be sold here.

According to my friend, they all were wearing black clothing, so some sort of a cohesive group. I doubt most of the cities have a large enough budget to police this issue, and the manufacturers aren't helping by producing so-called "legal" bikes that can have their governors defeated easily (if they even have any). I'm surprised "bikes" like the Talaria, which doesn't have pedals and is illegal to ride anywhere except maybe some off road trails, are allowed to be sold here.

I'm not one to go down the "ban it because I don't like it" road. My Yamaha YZ175 didn't have pedals. I rode it places I probably shouldn't have, but in my defense I never encountered a sign stating "no motorcycles" anywhere I rode it.

I prefer legalizing adulthood. Hold individuals responsible for their actions.

You guys are actually complaining about E-bikes again? Your fantasy is that they would enforce the law which is laughable at this point! I will have you know that they just released my sister in laws murderer last week! We tried everything including a letter to our sweet governor Nuefuk. I knew it was not going to do any good at all whatsoever, but I understood that my MIL had to exhaust all avenues. Look what just happened at Nordstrom’s .We live in a lawless state! Please lift your heads over your denial that as long as it don’t effect me. Soon you will be feeling it as this Sh!t show spreads to your neighborhood. I don’t give a Sh!t about e-bikes! I got bigger fish to fry.

You guys are actually complaining about E-bikes again? Your fantasy is that they would enforce the law which is laughable at this point! I will have you know that they just released my sister in laws murderer last week! We tried everything including a letter to our sweet governor Nuefuk. I knew it was not going to do any good at all whatsoever, but I understood that my MIL had to exhaust all avenues. Look what just happened at Nordstrom’s .We live in a lawless state! Please lift your heads over your denial that as long as it don’t effect me. Soon you will be feeling it as this Sh!t show spreads to your neighborhood. I don’t give a Sh!t about e-bikes! I got bigger fish to fry.
In case you haven't noticed, it's not confined to CA.

My friend was walking across the wooden bridge near Bommer Canyon yesterday late PM and encountered a group of 20 or so no pedal design "e-bikes" riding randomly and making her uneasy. They seem to be proliferating and riding illegally with impunity. Anybody have an idea how this will regress? Please delete if too controversial, but I posted since I'm encountering them frequently on the trails too.
If this is in the Irvine Open Space, I'd call the Irvine Police. I was talking to one of their mtb cops there the other day and he said they aren't currently enforcing against E-Mtbs with pedals because they don't have the proper signage for tickets to be upheld but the Surrons will get confiscated or ticketed. Not sure where the lesser non pedal E-bikes fall on this spectrum, but worth letting them know.

I'm not sure if it's considered part of the "open space" area; it was just after crossing the bridge from the small parking lot adjacent to the gate to Bommer. I'll call them today. Apparently there were EUC's (electric unicycles) and "one-wheels" as well as (and mostly) "bikes". She was kind of traumatized and couldn't remember all the types; from the noise there could have been ICE's.

The one thing I REALLY like about Sur-Ron’s is they piss off all the moped riders. I said from day one of classifying Class 1 e-bikes as “acceptable” that this was the natural progression. It’s only going to get worse. Don’t expect enforcement to get any better unless you live in a very wealthy town with lots of resources. Carlsbad PD has the equipment they just don’t have the manpower to pull away from more pressing matters to enforce something so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

A number of individuals said the same thing about the direction of the "sport", but I missed the mark completely. How I ever underestimated the greed of the manufacturers isn't comprehensible. If SurRons pissed off the moped riders, Talarias must really be frying them.
Last word: I reported this incident to the Conservancy and Police Dept. Apparently Irvine is in the process of passing a law with some teeth to curtail this activity.

Last edited:
Back