New York, New York

fos'l

My cousin lives adjacent to NYC and sent this picture or air "quality" in Brooklyn yesterday for those of you who haven't seen what the wildfires in Canada are producing for the eastern areas.
thumbnail (12).jpeg

I was in Whistler in 2018 when that monster fire erupted in Redding. They were talking about closing I-5 due to low visibility so I cancelled my scheduled stop to ride in Ashland and kept driving to get through that area. It was about 1:30 in the afternoon when I hit the area around Weed (north of Redding) and it was so dark my headlights kicked on. They didn't go back off until I was about 15 miles north of Sacramento. It was crazy weird going through Redding itself.

My cousin lives adjacent to NYC and sent this picture or air "quality" in Brooklyn yesterday for those of you who haven't seen what the wildfires in Canada are producing for the eastern areas.View attachment 88817

My mom's AQI on the other end of the state is usually in the single digits. They were close to 200 yesterday... :thumbsdown: When I pulled up the Purple Air map, NYC was mostly in the 300-400 range, as was the entire east coast of Pennsylvania. :eek:

Those folks ain't used to that... At all.

The picture in the title post could have been mistaken for the Los Angeles basin, August 1965. Trust me. I was there.

And it wasn't wildfire smoke.
I believe it was like that until and maybe through the 70s into the 80s.

I hate to say this for fear of being skewered by the anti-gov people on this forum - strict regulations saved the air and water in CA. My wife didn't know there were mountains, and she cleaned tarballs off her feet after getting out of the water in the late 70s.

My mom's AQI on the other end of the state is usually in the single digits. They were close to 200 yesterday... :thumbsdown: When I pulled up the Purple Air map, NYC was mostly in the 300-400 range, as was the entire east coast of Pennsylvania. :eek:

Those folks ain't used to that... At all.
I thought I heard yesterday NYC was above 450.

I hate to say this for fear of being skewered by the anti-gov people on this forum - strict regulations saved the air and water in CA. My wife didn't know there were mountains, and she cleaned tarballs off her feet after getting out of the water in the late 70s.

When I was little, we were advised to not eat any fish from Lake Erie. The 2nd smallest Great Lake... With a longer shoreline than the state of CA.o_O I also thought purple sand oozing oil and chemicals was normal... The good old days!

Then there's the whole Love Canal thing... And smaller, but much closer to me personally, was the Wide Beach Superfund site. Nothing like seeing guys in hazmat suits scraping off several feet of soil to "bake" it in their on-site plant.

Last edited:

You are correct. It lasted, and the fix was strict regulation of tailpipe emissions. Now we have 3 times the cars and you can see the mountains every day, even in summer.

I remember riding my stingray to the Newport beach back in the late 60s early 70s . My chest hurt, my lungs burned and my eyes watered. crazy times. Interestingly yesterday was the first time I felt that raspy throat thing in a very long time!

The picture in the title post could have been mistaken for the Los Angeles basin, August 1965. Trust me. I was there.

And it wasn't wildfire smoke.

Back