Mike's Bikes and Specialized

Faust29

I've been buying Specy tires from Mike's Bikes since the beginning of the pandemic. Got an interesting e-mail today... Interesting parts highlighted in red.

Dear customer,

For over 20 years, Mike's Bikes maintained a close partnership with Specialized Bicycles. We've built a strong business here in NorCal and beyond, as both of our companies have grown together.

A few weeks ago, Mike's Bikes was acquired by an amazing family-owned company in Amsterdam, and we couldn't be happier. Upon learning of this, however, Specialized abruptly terminated their relationship with Mike's. They later notified us that they would also be canceling the orders of over 400 customers who had bought and paid for their bikes in advance. They further informed us that as of October 31, they will no longer provide manufacturer warranty support through Mike’s Bikes for the many thousands of Specialized bikes that we’ve sold.

It is unfortunate and extremely disappointing that our Specialized customers are being affected in this way. This is definitely not a situation that we wanted or expected.

Our Wheelsmith Tech Departments will still be able to provide the same professional service on Specialized bikes that we offer on every other major bike brand, but for Specialized customers who need support through the manufacturer's warranty, we encourage you to contact your closest authorized Specialized dealer, or to reach out to Specialized rider care directly at (877) 808-8154 orwww.specialized.com/us/en/ridercareform

To our customers impacted by Specialized's cancellation of your order, we are reaching out to each of you directly to help find an alternative bike from other excellent bike brands that support us. We will work our tails off to help you find a replacement bike. If you decide to cancel your order at Mike’s and order a Specialized bike elsewhere, we totally understand, and we will issue prompt full refunds.

Looking forward, we’re excited to be able to offer a broader selection of brands in both equipment and bikes. Over the next few weeks, we will announce new partnerships with some of the best brands in the business, and we’ll be offering you more options and more selection than ever before. In the end, nothing has changed at Mike’s Bikes. We continue to be fully dedicated to helping you get the most out of your ride.

We really appreciate the support of our loyal customers, over the years and today in times of change.

-The Mike’s Bikes Team

The loss is the bad mouthing they are surely already getting. I doubt that money is a concern for them.
True, plenty of brand recognition there. I was at the Chiropractor a few weeks ago and he got very excited when he asked me what I did for exercise, I told him mostly mtn. biking.
Then he asked if I had a Specialized. When I told him what I rode, he asked why not Specialized.:confused:

The big S has been doing crappy things like this for a long time. They keep getting grief for it. Looks like the keep making $ and not seem to care. But, cancelling existing orders is pretty low.
Mike's though should not at all be surprised by this. If you sell out to a competitor, don't expect them to keep doing business with you.

my first Speci was a replacement for a Trek Flying V that I snapped. The Westlake village shop had a lot of Treks but they were not turning me on, something about the rear suspension design. I saw this grey ugly duckling with a triple crown. 2007 Enduro. This bike has saved my life sooo many times, it never washed out on the front. The suspension would not let me fly. It was awesome. Eventually I only rode with the forks fully extended and learned to fly, it took impeccable timing and that beast could FLY. Eventually I went shopping for a new bike, once again looking at all the things that satisfy my desire. I ended up on a 29er, a Speci Enduro 29er double crown but the baby does not wash out at all. The company established the bike geometry that everyone has copied. Speci Invigorate or Die. I do miss my 3 rings but besides that color me happy
Happy Trails

The funny thing is, I think their legal team is too far removed from Sinyard. They actually do a lot of pretty respectable philanthropy.

Was it the Roubaix name with the bike shop ordeal? Sinyard "claimed"he had no idea it was happening and blamed the lawyers... Then resolved it via a sit down. Claimed he wished that it had gone that root from the start.

Maybe that's the issue though, they run it like a corporation, and the owners have their heads too far up.... Well you know.

It's a shame. I honestly love their bikes. One of the few brands that make a bike I can afford, in a size that fits my long ass legs.

The funny thing is, I think their legal team is too far removed from Sinyard. They actually do a lot of pretty respectable philanthropy.

Was it the Roubaix name with the bike shop ordeal? Sinyard "claimed"he had no idea it was happening and blamed the lawyers... Then resolved it via a sit down. Claimed he wished that it had gone that root from the start.

Maybe that's the issue though, they run it like a corporation, and the owners have their heads too far up.... Well you know.

It's a shame. I honestly love their bikes. One of the few brands that make a bike I can afford, in a size that fits my long ass legs.

Well at that time, Fuji owned the Roubaix name and licensed it to Specialized. Their lawyers should have known this, and Sinyard visited that shop to save face…. Not to be nice.

The shop I work at is a Specialized dealer and proudly have never owned any of their products and probably never will.

I also am not bad mouthing them, I am just speaking the truth, I do feel bad for the customers but I am sure those orders can be transferred to dealers if Specialized wants to keep their customers happy. Only time will tell

Last edited:
Giant corporations do what giant corporations do. They have boards of directors, marketing divisions, legal teams, R and D, human resources, distribution - etc, etc. - All of the divisions are massive and operate semi independently with very little connection to the sport. The benefit of that should be less expensive products and widespread access.

And no, whoever posted above that Specialized is the innovator that all others copy - I can offer plenty of evidence to the contrary. Most of the innovation Specialized introduces is to make proprietary products that Speshy owners will need to replace with Speshy products. But hey - they were first to put storage in the down tube (SWAT box) so there's that. Yeti has always been far ahead of Specialized in geometry innovation, as have most of the mtb specific brands. Specialized licensed their suspension system from Horst Leitner 100 years ago and stuck with it until just recently - not a lot of innovation there. As for racing and development, Specialized lets other companies find and develop grass-roots level racers, then snatches them up with big contracts. Go big S!!!!

Now if you will excuse me, I will be loading my surfboard onto my Specialized Roll beach cruiser and heading to Trestles. :facepalm: At least it doesn't have a motor. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
A different article hints that there were multiple suitors for the sale, including Trek and Specialized. Good for the owners that they became big enough to get noticed. Bad in that another US owned business is no longer US owned... :thumbsdown:

Sinyard bought mountain bikes from Ritchey and Fisher, shipped them to Japan, and had them copied for pennies.
Specialized has been successfully following that model for 50 years.
Pon Holdings =/= family owned business.
Roubaix is a town in France.
A good bike:
402957909_72df97df17_b.jpg

I don't have any brand bias. I am on an E29 because I got it on closeout AND with my bike shop owner friend hookup (which is gone). It could easily be anything else.

I still imagine there are three sides to this story, but it doesn't effect me. I am not buying a new bike any time soon.

Pon Holdings =/= family owned business.
I must admit when I read family owned company in Amsterdam and that Specialized had dropped them I was thinking Pon.
My employer does a fair bit of business with Pon on the automotive side. They are a huge, huge company. I've been to visit one of their offices outside of Amsterdam, the company museum there has some pretty cool stuff, cars, bikes from across the years.

I must admit when I read family owned company in Amsterdam and that Specialized had dropped them I was thinking Pon.
My employer does a fair bit of business with Pon on the automotive side. They are a huge, huge company. I've been to visit one of their offices outside of Amsterdam, the company museum there has some pretty cool stuff, cars, bikes from across the years.

Really disingenuous for them to say that, unless it was a joke and then needs the /s tag after it!

Back