Lewis LH4 brakes

sir crashalot

iMTB Rockstah
My beloved trps sprung a leak so I I took a gamble and got a set of the Lewis LH4 4-piston brakes: https://www.lewisbike.com/disc-brakes-lh4.html
after a couple of weeks of research to ascertain that it’s a legit company and not AliExpress crap and the few reviews I have found have been good. Chinese company trying to break into more markets, got them from a new US dealer. some controversy about these on mtbr because they look a lot like Trickstuff-but not exactly the same they’re not counterfeit and no patent violations. Sorry not sorry the price was right $339 for the set. First ride on Sunday on San Juan.
TL/DR: seem like seriously good brakes, lots of power but still great modulation, at least on impressions from 1 ride. Seem very well made.
Notes on install: I really like the lever/hose connection system. Bleeding was real easy after trimming the hoses. Lever feel is really good with strong springback and love the dual adjustment- lots of adjustent range in reach and bite point. Lever pivot is burly and smooth with no rattle or play, while the rest of the lever and the caliper look svelte and less bulky than most . Wish the lever had traction dimples though.
upload_2024-1-23_9-45-42.jpeg
I Put the stock sintered pads in the rear and truckerco semimetallics up front. 203 mm rotors, standard thicness. Bike is 2018 Banshee Rune 170/160 travel. Rider weight 210#
For comparison, the other brakes Ive run in 20 years of riding are (in chronological order) Avid Juicy and Elixir, Hayes Stroker, shimano Saint 810, and TRP Quadiem.
These brakes are POWERFUL. Very little finger effort. Id say equivalent or more than the old Saints, but they dont have the on/off feel those did, the lewis have a good feel with plenty of modulation and control-unlike the more digressive feel of the saints servowave lever. The LH4 reminds me a lot of the old Elixir-which was my fave of all my previous brakes (I mean, when it worked and didnt have wandering bite point or bleed issues or leaking levers
upload_2024-1-23_8-38-22.gif
) ; has both power and control. Compared to the Quadiems, more power, slightly less modulation-the quadiems have superb modulation. The lh4 probably feels very similar to the trp dhr-evo. Bite point was perfectly consistent during the ride, and pads were dead silent. Others have mentioned they didnt like the stock sintered pads, seemed fine to me-but might switch to all semimetallics. Glad i was open-minded and so far stoked on this purchase-assuming the long-term durability and customer support is there. The dealer claimed Lewis is planning on making parts available but we’ll see. Will report back after some more ride time on steeper trails.

So you can get parts like barbs and olives? Bleed kits? Generally on stuff like this it’s impossible to get standard stuff like barbs and olives. I’d like to see a long term review of these. Thanks

That’s why I stick to Shimano XT across my entire bike fleet. As someone who travels all over, including lots of smaller towns like Oakridge with one bike shop, I know I’ll always find Shimano parts.

So you can get parts like barbs and olives? Bleed kits? Generally on stuff like this it’s impossible to get standard stuff like barbs and olives. I’d like to see a long term review of these. Thanks

It uses a really cool simple reusable barb system with standard hoses, and hope e4 pads. No need to ever buy barbs and olives. Uses the EZmtb bleed kit, which is a kit that has fittings for almost all brakes, and the bleed was real easy. Will post long-term review

Last edited:
Gary,
That is a really well written review, bud!
Those look sweet! How can we know of other manufacturers without the exploration. Good on you for taking the leap.
As I have stretched into other manufacturers I have found some good stuff as well.
I hope those continue to deliver for you and looking forward to an update!
Thanks Man! :thumbsup:

Gary,
That is a really well written review, bud!
Those look sweet! How can we know of other manufacturers without the exploration. Good on you for taking the leap.
As I have stretched into other manufacturers I have found some good stuff as well.
I hope those continue to deliver for you and looking forward to an update!
Thanks Man! :thumbsup:

I love trying new parts, but have learned over the years that not every shop carries what you need. The majority of shops will carry Shimano and SRAM parts, but not Lewis. I rode Formula brakes for along time and parts were increasingly harder and harder to find and were expensive. I would really like to see a long term review on these.

Back