GROUP RIDES NEEDED!

scan

iMTB Rockstah
Group rides is the magic to keeping things sane on the Forum. Face to face interaction rehumanizes us and reminds us that "on our bikes together" we have good intentions to be great ride buddies and that naturally translates into good friends on the forum.

[]"The moment we stopped putting group rides together on the forum was the same timeframe that we began to splinter..."

In the words of @Mikie above I want to encourage y'all to meetup! Whether you're like @herzalot who likes smaller groups or others who don't mind larger ones, let's do this. Chime in on your thoughts,etc.

Group rides is the magic to keeping things sane on the Forum. Face to face interaction rehumanizes us and reminds us that "on our bikes together" we have good intentions to be great ride buddies and that naturally translates into good friends on the forum.

[]"The moment we stopped putting group rides together on the forum was the same timeframe that we began to splinter..."

In the words of @Mikie above I want to encourage y'all to meetup! Whether you're like @herzalot who likes smaller groups or others who don't mind larger ones, let's do this. Chime in on your thoughts,etc.

You don't want to ride with me. :whistling:

I don't believe it was the lack of group rides that had us splintering, it was the vitriol around the pandemic, quickly followed by the outrage about e-bikes, followed by tin-foil hat conspiracy garbage. Riding together can indeed help us find our humanity and common ground, but it wasn't enough to keep people from splintering away (or being rightfully banished).

As mentioned above, large group rides are nothing but sources of anxiety for me. I have no need to race to the front like most of those on the ride inevitably seek to do, and I hate being pitied in the back of the pack. So I prefer to ride with 1-4 others at a time. I will come to the larger group rides once in a while, but mostly for the socializing afterward. Once a year is plenty for the big gatherings. BTW - riding in large groups is an extremely rude thing to do in many places. No one wants to pull over and wait while 20 bikes take ten minutes to go by.

So you all who like big complicated group rides - go for it. Post 'em up. I will keep posting my dinky little rides in "Who's riding where." Feel free to join me anytime. I have ridden with about a dozen of the remaining IMTBers and have enjoyed the company of each.

I don't believe it was the lack of group rides that had us splintering, it was the vitriol around the pandemic, quickly followed by the outrage about e-bikes, followed by tin-foil hat conspiracy garbage. Riding together can indeed help us find our humanity and common ground, but it wasn't enough to keep people from splintering away (or being rightfully banished).

As mentioned above, large group rides are nothing but sources of anxiety for me. I have no need to race to the front like most of those on the ride inevitably seek to do, and I hate being pitied in the back of the pack. So I prefer to ride with 1-4 others at a time. I will come to the larger group rides once in a while, but mostly for the socializing afterward. Once a year is plenty for the big gatherings. BTW - riding in large groups is an extremely rude thing to do in many places. No one wants to pull over and wait while 20 bikes take ten minutes to go by.

So you all who like big complicated group rides - go for it. Post 'em up. I will keep posting my dinky little rides in "Who's riding where." Feel free to join me anytime. I have ridden with about a dozen of the remaining IMTBers and have enjoyed the company of each.
So to clarify, I consider riding with 2 or more other hooligans a group ride. A group ride does not have to be the big annual, and actually… l wasn’t even thinking of the big annual group thingy when I posted.
Fact is we are more likely to be kinder to the people we ride with when online later. Regardless of the topic. Well, unless you’re @Obsidian who thoroughly enjoys conflict o_O :laugh:. But none-the-less, it’s true.

I find that 7 is typically the max I really enjoy riding with. That’s the max, though. 3 or 4 other guys is perfect. More than happy to “hit it” with 20 or 30 plus and I believe I have pulled that off pretty well in most cases. Those are what I would consider club rides and I try to pick places that won’t interfere with the public too much.

The POINT being… that we are more likely to set differences aside when we meet face to face, ride and get to know each other. It’s so easy to flame behind a keyboard with people we barely know or only met. I think it’s inconsiderate, rude, and nothing that imtbtrails was founded on.

We need to be more accepting mountain bikers, just like rock and roll.

So to clarify, I consider riding with 2 or more other hooligans a group ride. A group ride does not have to be the big annual, and actually… l wasn’t even thinking of the big annual group thingy when I posted.
Fact is we are more likely to be kinder to the people we ride with when online later. Regardless of the topic. Well, unless you’re @Obsidian who thoroughly enjoys conflict o_O :laugh:. But none-the-less, it’s true.

I find that 7 is typically the max I really enjoy riding with. That’s the max, though. 3 or 4 other guys is perfect. More than happy to “hit it” with 20 or 30 plus and I believe I have pulled that off pretty well in most cases. Those are what I would consider club rides and I try to pick places that won’t interfere with the public too much.

The POINT being… that we are more likely to set differences aside when we meet face to face, ride and get to know each other. It’s so easy to flame behind a keyboard with people we barely know or only met. I think it’s inconsiderate, rude, and nothing that imtbtrails was founded on.

We need to be more accepting mountain bikers, just like rock and roll.
What he said!

The first ones have fast twitch muscles. I tend to be last out. Over the climb I am the last, but will ride past the first group's rest stop. If I stop with the group the cycle repeats. So now I just pass on thru and will see you at the top. It is fun looking down and seeing the group all strung out on the tread. Of course out west we tend to climb first and drop at the end. I do not like eating dust so allowing all those guys out first keeps me in clear air. On the drops I am almost always in front, stooped down looking for air.

I wanna do one of your patented Glendora Mountain Road to Mt. Baldy Village rides with you one day!

And I just remembered a better one -

Start at GMR & Sierra Madre, where all the roadies park. Ride up GMR, down the back side, west on East Fork to SR 39, up to Crystal Lake.

And back.

That was on the Trek Mamba your buddy got.

You in? :laugh: :facepalm:

Back