Getting Vetter Mountain Trail back

Mikie Robin Mcguire

FS B sawyer Mcg & me spent saturday removing about a dozen down trees off the Vetter Mountain Trail in our Angeles National Forest .The trail has been closed since the station fire 2009.. We hope to have it reopen in the spring of 2016 alot of work to do :) but love it,Thank you! A big thank you! to Rossage & Burt who helped out with a big down tree on our way to the traihead. . Hugs

FB_IMG_1443970296875.jpg

FB_IMG_1443970011159.jpg

FB_IMG_1443979612271.jpg

FB_IMG_1443974764321.jpg

FB_IMG_1443979640670.jpg

The Vetter Mtn fire lookout is up a steep road from Charlton. That is the destination. The Vetter trail connects from the lookout to the Silver Moc, singletrack all the way to Chilao.
Unfortunately, the lookout burned too, so it will be restored in the future also.
Anyone who dislikes climbing over downed trees on our trails needs to thank the Mcguires, Steve M, Hal, and all the other sawyers for the hard, dirty, unpaid, labor they do.

The Vetter Mtn fire lookout is up a steep road from Charlton. That is the destination. The Vetter trail connects from the lookout to the Silver Moc, singletrack all the way to Chilao.
Unfortunately, the lookout burned too, so it will be restored in the future also.
Anyone who dislikes climbing over downed trees on our trails needs to thank the Mcguires, Steve M, Hal, and all the other sawyers for the hard, dirty, unpaid, labor they do.

Vetter Mountain lookout was built in 1933 and was closed for restoration from 1981 to 1998. Hopefully it will be rebuilt sometime soon. We are going back up there this week to continue Sawyer work. here is a photo of one of the lookout volunteers that will greet you with a smile and tell you all about Vetter Mountain lookout Tower. . This is the temporary tower. Thank you! alot of work to be done.
20151003_135927.jpg

20151003_133849.jpg

20151003_131809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday was another tough day but hit a milestone after chainsawing over 100 tree's that is a conservative estimate we have the entire trail cleared of down trees for now , We still need some dangerous leaning trees to be fallen ,and alot! of treadwork but for the first time since the station fire we were able to ride down. It's still close but by spring and some rerouting it should be good to go.. Thank you ! Mcg tired but loves it.
This weekend we are starting our work on the Ken Burton trail in the Angeles National Forest off of Brown mt also closed since the station fire, you can find out the information on Corba or MWBA if you are interested in joining us. . Thank you
FB_IMG_1446822177273.jpg

FB_IMG_1446822185982.jpg

Last edited:
My mind is literally blown. You guys are absolutely amazing. Hugs to you Mrs. McG and give Mr. McG a big wet sloppy kiss for me! :gag:

Added: I just watched the vid above of the time lapse. Steve, thank you so much as well. Makes me want to quit my job to get time to do more of this as well. What a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment!

Thank you so very much!!!!!
Mikie

Last edited:
Hunters would be my guess. Nothing against them in general, but there have been a ton of them out.
I saw that scene at West Fork a few weeks ago too. 5-6 abandoned tents plus a bunch of garbage. Hunters could make sense, otherwise it looked like a homeless camp.

Back