FYI shock durability

This may be the first time I actually can't think of anything snarky to say about your love of the hardtail and disdain for descending at pace. You are correct. You have never had a rear shock wear out or fail.

Not even on my (EDIT) Yamaha DT175....which actually HAD a rear shock. Many, many miles of fun. But no failures.

, the piece that rigidly bolts to the rear shock eyelet and connects it via a pivot to the rear triangle or chainstay, efeectively lengthening the shock eye to eye length. revel has one.
So this?
Clevis mount?.jpg

Leave us to clevis!

Last edited:
Well he is an engineer with what sounds like good experience.
Assumed he was still talking about side flex.
Also would assume the bike makers would employ "engineers with good experience".
"There are some coil shocks rated for clevis with a stronger shaft now tho"
See? It was a "shock problem" , the bike makers engineers win out, shock makers "fix" the problem.

Last edited:
Assumed he was still talking about side flex.
Also would assume the bike makers would employ "engineers with good experience".
See? It was a "shock problem" , the bike makers engineers win out, shock makers "fix" the problem.
I think he's raising the question that there needs to be more standardized types of testing to really measure what's going on. He does admit trying to simulate real world situations is difficult. I got the video from a discussion on MTBR regarding suspension buckling.

Back